Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » » Horror » Non-horror games that scared the living daylights out of you » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 31, 13 at 7:37amDedValve

We've all been spooked a little when we first saw that ghost that we couldn't capture in pokemon red. That was horrible as a child.

When I was younger I was playing the sims bustin out and it was my first sims experience. Everything about it was fantastic and I loved it. Then one day a fire broke out and 2 of my sims died. Everything was normal for a while until 3 sim days later where at night suddenly the super speed stopped and creepy music started playing. I had no idea what was going on. There where mysterious sounds, screeches and levitating refrigerators. THATS RIGHT THE FRIDGES WHERE LEVITATING.

It all led up to the ghost sims showing up, starting a new fire and killing the rest of my sims =/

As a child that was pretty terrifying for me, I had no idea the sims had ghosts. 1 year later I managed to kill over 200 sims and create a haunted house. It was epic.

So have you played any games that don't fall under the horror category that scared the living daylights out of you?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 04, 13 at 6:15am
Bajawoosh

I have recently become spooked by Medal of Honor, there's a mission where you only have a knife after your chinook heli goes down in Pakistan, you're walking around this dark, snowy path and your night vision optics keep cutting in and out. I dunno' but something about being alone in a military game creeps me out unless I'm online. I just like the feeling of having someone talking to me or having my back if I screw up. I always hated CoD 4 in the mission where you have to carry McMillan after you snipe the guy in the arm. They're all closing in on you and you're basically *bleep*ed five ways from Sunday.

Aug 26, 13 at 11:09am
DedValve

Dark Souls. Anytime I see a black phantom bell ringing wizard douchebag I just turn off my PS3.

I FINALLY figured out an effective strategy to defeat them but my heart races with fear everytime I'm locked into battle with one.

Aug 25, 13 at 2:50pm
vegeta rox

probably batman arkham asylum and minecraft. damn creepers. xD

Aug 19, 13 at 2:33pm
Seeker X

I'd have to chalk it up to 999 for scaring the ever loving shit out of me in the Bad endings (especially the Submarine/Axe ending). The game started out slow at first, and the Escape the Room gameplay certainly didn't help at all. But the more I knew about the characters, the more I was engaged in it. It got to the point where I was like omfgwtfnoshit*bleep*cantnopenopenopenope when the endings happened... I imagine Virtue's Last Reward (Thank you, PS+) will toy and destroy my emotions brutally before I stumble onto the ONE good ending which lifts my spirits (andmanlytears) up....like Stockholm Syndrome.

Aug 19, 13 at 12:17pm
ShizukaFlame

They didn't scare me, per say, but the Devil May Cry games have a definite creepy factor to them. Especially the first one, with those damn Nobodies.

Aug 08, 13 at 10:25am
RogueOperator

quote Imprisoned_Butterfly
Also, the weird phone call in Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty when Raiden became naked, I dunno what was that all about.
This. I just played through mgs2 and it was my first real playthrough of a mgs game. When that crazy crap started happening near the end I genuinely thought my game was broken at first.

Aug 07, 13 at 2:47pm
Imprisoned_Butterfly

I used to find ghosts in Sonic The Hedgehog 3 scary as a kid.

Also, the weird phone call in Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty when Raiden became naked, I dunno what was that all about.

Oh and weird monsters in Persona series. Now I don't find them scary, I fancy them. xD

Jun 04, 13 at 5:13am
KR_1250

I dunno about "Scared the living daylights" out of me. But several games have left me with an uneasy, uncomfortable and chilling feeling.

- Fallout 3. The Dunwich building is kind of spooky. But more so the general dessolate post apocalyptic atmosphere got to me. Watching a small femaciated, largely psychotic and dog eat dog sliver of society struggle on was kind of moving in a creepy way. Seeing the skeletons of mothers cluthing their dead kids next to some toys and kids books in a Shelter was sort of breathtaking in a way. The hospital gave much the same feeling. Roaming the subway Network dodging Feral ghouls was also pretty creepy. And Point lookout was just plain wrng LOL. I loved it but i spent the entire DLC feeling watched somehow. Oh and Andale... that shit was just plain scary actually. Damn and i forgot Tranquility lane. That was bloody creepy aswell.

- Deus ex (Original). Not only are some of the enviroments dessolate and almost post apocalyptic in a semi-Fallout kind of way, but walking the disease infested streets flanked by coughing refugees and bodies embracing one another was kinda deep. Not to mention some of the more... bizarre encounters and aspects of the story one encounters in that game. The game also made a great early use of atmospheric lighting and some really emotive and abstract sound and music aswell. Definately creeped me out a few times. Great bloody game.

- Kingpin (PC). The grimy streets, bloodthirsty gangs, crazy junkies and all round dirty and violent atmosphere of that game creeped me out when i was younger. The whole game created a very threatening atmosphere and the graphic gore and violence enhanced that. You never felt safe. You could never tell wither an NPC was going to mumble incoherently, ask you for spare change or attack you with a lead pipe.

- Max Payne. Creepy atmosphere and enviroments from the deserted storm and snow lashed streets of NYC to its abandoned subway network and satanic drug infested enemy hideouts that game was just kinda weird. Not to mention the player actually walking in on his wife and babies murder then experiencing Max's own internal nightmares including Max's dead babies cries and visions of his mutilated wife. Then the kind of comic book style black comedy also leant the game a certain creepy irony. Add to that the bizarre TV broadcasts, seeing and hearing things which went there etc. Such a great atmosphere.

- Just Cause 2. Im scared of heights and that game frequently got to me in that respect. I got vertigo playing it and often felt genuinly disoriented.

Jun 03, 13 at 11:56am
Demonfurby

I had a dream a few nights ago that I was sailing in a boat and about ten of the cyclones from the Wind Waker were in my path. I hated sailing at night in that game. Those and the octopuses

Jun 01, 13 at 6:35am
DedValve

chalk one up to Dead Island. Granted it's a horror themed game but when one moment your goofing around on a boat racing your friend then the next moment a singularity rifts open stunning your game to a measly 5 frames per second while you desperately press the xbox guide button to evacuate only to be met by an extremely screeching thundering noise and water effects with no textures anywhere and a blue tree with a white outline then your xbox literally have a heart attack in front of you....yeah...wtf....

I think my xbox tried to commite suicide, or the game was trying to murder it. Also I remembered the list cracked made on the scariest glitches ever. I can't link because work and stuff but you guys should check that out.

Mariokart glitch is the worst