Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » What are some good cheap towers for just internet browsing? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 29, 13 at 7:56amDedValve

Family computer died and I'm currently looking for a replacement for a tower. The budget is $300 and all my parents ever use it for is netflix and paying their bills online. So something that's fast enough to run a few programs and fast internet speed that could fit under the budget would be great.

Win8 preferred but not a necessity. Also something with a fast bootup would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know *bleep*all about building a new computer but if it's relatively easy that would be a cool little project I can do (with specific, specific, specific instructions in case I screw up).

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 31, 13 at 7:34pm
thezobot1

Do you want exact components or just guidelines? Is the cost of the operating system included within the 300$?
I will be glad to help you out!

Mar 30, 13 at 11:22pm
Sonic Chao

How does this look? Should be more than enough for Internet browsing and Netflix.

Mar 29, 13 at 2:56pm
hiigaran

quote DedValve
quote hiigaran
i dont suppose you know how the computer died? would be cheaper to just replace the dead component. likely the power supply, which would cost you about 30 bucks, maybe less.
The fan is extremely loud, the computer will sometimes randomly reset and it's very, very slow.
loud fan and random resets are most likely due to excessive temperature. has the computer ever been opened and cleaned out for dust?

as for it being slow...for starters, do you know how to take screenshots and post them here?

also, am i to assume then that the computer isnt actually dead?

Mar 29, 13 at 12:13pm
Mikau Kahn

If this is the case, do what I did and get yourself a Netbook.

Although I got it for myself, it ended up being the family PC due to it's portability. I find it everywhere in our house, which means it gets used a lot.

I grabbed it for $200 and it's powerful enough to play Left4Dead2 online (granted on low quality), so...

EDIT: Totally didn't even notice you asked for a tower. I'd say find someone who broke a part on theirs (fried their video card or something), grab their tower for cheap, then fix it.

Mar 29, 13 at 8:49am
DedValve

quote hiigaran
i dont suppose you know how the computer died? would be cheaper to just replace the dead component. likely the power supply, which would cost you about 30 bucks, maybe less.
The fan is extremely loud, the computer will sometimes randomly reset and it's very, very slow.

Mar 29, 13 at 8:02am
hiigaran

Mar 29, 13 at 7:56am
DedValve

Family computer died and I'm currently looking for a replacement for a tower. The budget is $300 and all my parents ever use it for is netflix and paying their bills online. So something that's fast enough to run a few programs and fast internet speed that could fit under the budget would be great.

Win8 preferred but not a necessity. Also something with a fast bootup would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know *bleep*all about building a new computer but if it's relatively easy that would be a cool little project I can do (with specific, specific, specific instructions in case I screw up).