Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » » Horror » 2+4=(mc/-1/sqr rt of 2x2)/3 = Whats the hardest/most awesome puzzle that stumped you? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 25, 13 at 5:23pmDedValve

Plenty of horror games are known for their puzzles. Plenty of these puzzles are known to be goddamn ridiculous, even outside horror (who here can honestly raise their hand if they never took a guide on Assassins Creed 2 puzzles?)

What's the hardest puzzle in any game you ever had to do? Alternatively, what was the most brilliant (as in deviously difficult yet awesome) puzzle you've done?

Hands down the puzzles in Resident Evil Outbreak where just nightmarish, especially for some of the optional stuff. Previous RE games has always had puzzles that stopped you for at most 2, maybe 3 minutes before you instantly figure it out but holy shit Outbreak just broke your mind on what you needed to do.

The worst of it (outside the Hive which I'm sure is unanimously voted to be a broken puzzle) would be in #1 Decisions, Decisions scenario. The clock with the (red?) ruby inside of it and you had to figure out what time to put the clock in. Right next to the clock where a bunch of numbers, dozens and dozens of them. There where 5 sheets of paper and all sheets had random numbers that made no sense.

It boggled the mind and caused many frustration (especially when your in a room with 3 other people breaking their backs trying to figure this shit out since this was before the time anyone could just lookup gamefaqs on their phone) until you realized that the numbers are misleading. All these random numbers are oddly spaced and placed until you realize that the numbers aren't important but the shape they FORM are. Each page was actually one giant number made up of all these random little numbers and would reveal the proper time to put in the clock.

Hands down the most grueling puzzle ever until you realize what you had to do, then it was just the most awesome puzzle ever.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 11, 13 at 9:17am
JoveHack

quote haalyle
There are six, one's already been used, four are just there for collectibles and the last one is to continue.
Other than that, I'm not too sure how many combinations you can make with 0 - 1 - 2.
Three possible digits used three times should be 3 to the 3rd power, or 27 possible combinations.

Compare to the combinations of using all ten digits, 0 - 9, three times. That would give 10 to the 3rd power, or 1000 possible combinations.

Apr 09, 13 at 11:35pm
haalyle

quote JoveHack
That's pretty good for getting the codes that match the criteria. But from what HunterKiller666 said, there are only six possible codes, five of which will open a door.
There are six, one's already been used, four are just there for collectibles and the last one is to continue.
Other than that, I'm not too sure how many combinations you can make with 0 - 1 - 2.

Apr 09, 13 at 12:41pm
JoveHack

quote haalyle
quote JoveHack
You really had to just guess the codes, no hints or anything? I'm with HunterKiller666, that sounds almost impossible.
No, for some reason (even on my first try) I somehow knew what all the numbers were.
That's pretty good for getting the codes that match the criteria. But from what HunterKiller666 said, there are only six possible codes, five of which will open a door.

Apr 08, 13 at 11:51pm
haalyle

quote JoveHack
You really had to just guess the codes, no hints or anything? I'm with HunterKiller666, that sounds almost impossible.
No, for some reason (even on my first try) I somehow knew what all the numbers were.

Apr 08, 13 at 9:36am
HunterKiller666

I was trolling. Yeah there were hints on each of the doors but you don't really need them. There are only 3 numbers you can put into the control panel: 0, 1, 2. Plus all three numbers have to be unique, so no 011, 221, or anything like that. Now you can see how easy this puzzle actually is to solve.

Apr 08, 13 at 9:24am
JoveHack

quote haalyle
quote HunterKiller666
Oh don't even get me started on the RE6 puzzles. The control panel at the underground prison in Leon's campaign, I mean, what the *bleep* is that? There are 3, I repeat, THREE goddamn numbers you have to punch in sequence to unlock certain doors. And there are a total of, get this, FIVE doors you can unlock, but only one of them is the right door. How in the hell do they expect you to do this shit? Punching in random numbers would have taken me hours unless I get super-duper lucky. Fortunately I played this part with haalyle and I was absolutely shocked how she got it on the 2nd try. She's just that lucky I guess.
I've played that campaign the inside-out.

The first door is 210, the second is 021 and the third one is 201 (these are the doors that will let you continue on), that was all just by memory too.

Apr 08, 13 at 5:18am
HunterKiller666

The first Uncharted actually had some decent puzzles, 2 and 3 puzzles were literally as simple as picking up block and inserting into hole.

Apr 07, 13 at 1:17pm
Pmc44444

I got stuck in some of the puzzles in Uncharted 3 damn some of them are so so so so hard for a non-puzzle person haaa!

Apr 07, 13 at 12:18pm
RogueOperator

You know, from what i've played of Downpour, there are way too many enemies on the streets. After literally just getting into Silent Hill I had to fight like six enemies with my axe and there was no way to run away from them. Annoyed the hell out of me.

Also any puzzle when I was below the age of six was impossible to me pretty much.

Apr 06, 13 at 6:54am
DedValve

I really love how Vatra just "got it". Almost every idea about how a classic survival/horror should work in the modern era Vatra nailed it perfectly, it's an incredible shame that the game was so damn buggy because if it weren't for that it'd easily be the defining game of the horror genre this generation. It just so perfectly translated SH into a bunch of fresh new ideas and concepts and the puzzles themselves where just glorious.

I love how you felt like your actually doing investigative work within the game rather than being thrown some cryptic poem that even a literary professor would scratch their head at (although there might be some of those on the hardest puzzle difficulty). A shame that Konami will no longer work with them, here's hoping they blame Downpours shortcomings on only the glitches and nothing else since that was what really ruined that game.

Goddamn I sound like a PR idiot when I talk about that game. But it really is THAT good.