Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Sid Meier's Civilization V » Civilization V's second expansion 'Brave New World' announced, focuses on culture and diplomacy » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 15, 13 at 10:00ambluexy

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 21, 13 at 1:37pm
Spastic

Slowly but surely. I still think Civ4 is a better game, (international trade routes should have been in from the beginning -_-) but Firaxis is getting there.

Mar 18, 13 at 10:38am
HunterKiller666

Perhaps, but the worker in this game never gets killed unless you keeping shooting at it with an archer. This strategy is cheap and very effective against AI, which has no sense of priority whatsoever. Seriously, I was attacking China one time and captured all of their cities except for one. Then even as my siege units surrounded their final city city I found out through my spy that they decided to build the Great Library :facepalm:

Mar 18, 13 at 10:27am
Randome

Forcing captured civilians to walk in front of your army is not cool. The vienamese and north koreans did that, to clear minefields.

Mar 16, 13 at 7:40pm
HunterKiller666

I actually prefer to use worker to scout during battle, or rather, capture an enemy worker and use him to scout just ahead of my army. A lot of times the AI will waste its unit's attack to capture the worker, allowing my army to destroy that unit and capture the worker again.

Mar 16, 13 at 10:24am
Randome

You must be terrible at the wars in this game then. I don't let any of my units get killed.

A fast moving unit is of an immense strategic value. It can provide reconnaissance for the ranged units and get back out of enemies range before the turn is over. Most military units can't do this and end up getting killed. I often still have a unit or two of scouts by the time the game ends. By then they're very obsolete, so I only use them to have a military unit in a city (which can give extra points).

Maybe they should make the scouts cost half the normal amount of maintenance then? That should motivate people to keep them around during peace time.

Mar 16, 13 at 8:33am
HunterKiller666

Randome what you say sounds cool and all, but the scout's purpose in this game is to simply explore the landmass during early game. Once all the land has been revealed or if the scout dies early that's pretty much it. What you are suggesting is turning the scout into a another combat unit so it's no longer unique.

Mar 15, 13 at 1:30pm
Randome

Great that they'll add international trade routs. I've been wanting that from the beginning. I've always built roads that extend well beyond my nation and will eventually be inside other nations. It's entertaining to see all the traffic that passes through the area when they all use my roads.

But too bad they still haven't added upgradable scouts. Scouts are used by armies of all eras. Even today. The scout should be upgraded as follows:
  • The original scout.
  • Horseman scout. - The weakest mounted unt. Can travel far per turn, but has minimal weapons.
  • Cavalry scout. - Becomes available at the same time as the 19'th century cavalry. It can travel further and has better weapons, but (unles it has several upgrades) is inferor to cavalry.
  • Volkswagen Schwimmwagen scout. - Becomes available when the WW2 tanks do. It would be based on the amphibious WW2 german army cars. It would be extremely mobile and have 1 machine gun on the car.
  • Modern scout. - Becomes available when modern armour does. This one would not be amphibious, but it would be based on the modern lightly armoured Iraq war HMMWV. It would have a machine gun in a small turret.
Go see wikipedia for more info on the last 2:

Mar 15, 13 at 11:42am
Night Surgeon

I still need to get the first expansion. =T

Mar 15, 13 at 10:00am
bluexy