Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » New gaming laptop! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 03, 13 at 6:58pmwwwrupamborthakur2

Hello All,
I was looking for a gaming laptop and wanted to know what to get. I don't need portability. Basically i need a desktop replacement. These are the specs i am looking for-
i7 3940QM
GTX 680MX 2x SLI or AMD 7970 2x XFire
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz
Blu-Ray Drive
Atleast 17.3" screen
2x 512 GB SSD in Raid + 1 Tb Hard Disc
Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional
Battery life doesn't matter that much. 2 hrs is enough.
I will basically i will use this for gaming and movie streaming hence the blu Ray drive. I will also need Wifi and Bluetooth and also the screen should have a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 and a good display. My max budget is 5000$.
So please give me some opinions on which laptop to pick. Let the answers roll in. I wanted to get this in about May!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 07, 13 at 6:45am
wwwrupamborthakur2

quote ROBsupplier
Guys. Is it good to get a ref M17x R4 laptop? I am consider between Asus ROG and Ref M17x...
Start a new thread for that.

May 07, 13 at 3:08am
ROBsupplier

Guys. Is it good to get a ref M17x R4 laptop? I am consider between Asus ROG and Ref M17x...

Mar 06, 13 at 1:26am
wwwrupamborthakur2

All right then, i will buy the M18x. I configured one with 2 GTX 680M's and an i7 3940XM and the price totalled at 4,800$. I am thinking of waiting until June to get this to see if they get i7 3960XM and GTX 680MX or maybe even GTX 780M or GTX 780MX. Thanks for everything Nagare!

Mar 05, 13 at 8:06pm
Nagare

I can't really offer any opinions on other brands, but I know my roommate had an Alienware M11x and the build quality was good enough, but the support was what shined. Nearly every part on his laptop failed, but each time it was covered by the warranty and he didn't have to pay for anything to be replaced. That's the safety of mind you get when you buy from a more known company like Dell.

Mar 05, 13 at 6:24pm
wwwrupamborthakur2

Thanks so i'll take the 2 gb as i wont be gaming on multiple monitors and thanks for all your help but what about the other Eurocom laptop that i listed and the other laptops that i listed?

Mar 05, 13 at 11:18am
Nagare

I found a comparison of the 680M 2GB, 680M 4GB, and a 7970M. The 4GB one is definitely the hottest in that comparison which could be a worry unless you're always at a desk and have a separate keyboard. The general consensus from this thread is that both are pretty much the same, but the 4GB should be better if you are using multiple monitors (like I said).

You can also check out a laptop round up that The Verge did which compared a few high profile choices, none with SLI though.

And for the 680MX the quick searching I did made it seem like for now it is limited to Apple hardware and eventually or soon it should spread out.

Mar 05, 13 at 5:38am
wwwrupamborthakur2

How's this laptop compared to the Alienware M18x- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410645,00.asp and what about these laptops- http://gaminglaptophome.com/best-gaming-laptop-comparison/

Mar 05, 13 at 5:22am
wwwrupamborthakur2

The Clevo 4 GB GTX 680M is over 900$- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=680m&_osacat=58058&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=%09 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M&_sacat=58058

The Dell 2 GB GTX 680M is about 450$. When i was trying to customize an Alienware the price for SLI was about 450$. So i took it from there but i am not sure at all about Dell GTX 680M's.

And isn't there any Laptop with a GTX 680MX- http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-680mx

Mar 05, 13 at 3:00am
Nagare

How much of a difference in price is there? For 1080p, the 2GB should be fine.if you plan on playing via an external monitor set at higher resolution, the 4GBmay be justified.

Mar 05, 13 at 1:19am
wwwrupamborthakur2

quote Nagare
4GB 680M > 2GB 680M. Doesn't really matter which brand other than the cooling which I'm sure they optimize for the specific laptop anyways. Either way you should be fine for maxing out games on the 1080p screen.
If the Vram is the only difference then it is not worth it get the Clevo 4 GB because it costs much more than the Dell 2 GB. So is it worth it to get the extra 2 gb of vram for the cost?