Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Brand new AMD FX 3850 getting too hot? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 26, 13 at 7:59amMaster

So I just threw this puppy together last night and tried some games (mainly Max Payne 3) and the CPU gets hot pretty damn fast. It shoots right up to 60c+ under load, and I've read that just over 60 is its max.

Am I better off reseating the heatsink with new thermal grease (it did slide around a little when trying to get it on) or just get some better airflow going? I don't currently have an exhaust in the case right now with the power supply being on the bottom of the case and I couldn't find any screws for the extra fan I had.

Miscellaneous question: if a motherboard doesn't support a type of CPU, it wouldn't actually start up and work, right? Only after getting everything together, I noticed the motherboards website doesn't list the 3850 as compatible or whatever but it seems to work just fine.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 12, 13 at 1:14pm
rahulghiraiya

you need cooling pad amd boards have the problem of this

Mar 03, 13 at 6:05am
CMNealTan

Good to hear that everything's working out great!

What's your fan configuration around the case?

Feb 28, 13 at 4:05pm
Master

Yeah, I emailed Gigabyte and they, in rough English, said the CPU was compatible. I guess they had JUST updated their compatibility list because it definitely wasn't on there earlier.

Exhaust was definitely the problem... I made the thread cuz I didn't have time to fiddle around with it at the moment and wanted to weigh my options, but I got around to moving some stuff in the case and fitting in the extra fan. CPU now hangs out at 47c during load.

Man, this thing is a beast. I'm not able to upgrade my video card yet, so I'm using my previous GTX 260, and Battlefield 3 went from playing ALL ON LOW, about 10-15fps, to 'auto' settings (all medium) at easily 40+fps (haven't seen the real figure) and could probably still up some settings. I didn't realize my dual core was holding everything back this much.

Sims 3 loads in 30 seconds compared to 5 minutes.

Feb 28, 13 at 11:16am
hiigaran

nah, youre fine. id be wary if it goes over 70 degrees, though. and they all have thermal protection in place to prevent damage, anyway.

as for your motherboard, its fine. if you can use your computer, its compatible.

Feb 27, 13 at 3:58am
CMNealTan

Hi!

What is the model of your motherboard?

Regarding the exhaust fan - there has to be a means to get rid of the accumulated heat circulating around the case.

Feb 26, 13 at 7:59am
Master

So I just threw this puppy together last night and tried some games (mainly Max Payne 3) and the CPU gets hot pretty damn fast. It shoots right up to 60c+ under load, and I've read that just over 60 is its max.

Am I better off reseating the heatsink with new thermal grease (it did slide around a little when trying to get it on) or just get some better airflow going? I don't currently have an exhaust in the case right now with the power supply being on the bottom of the case and I couldn't find any screws for the extra fan I had.

Miscellaneous question: if a motherboard doesn't support a type of CPU, it wouldn't actually start up and work, right? Only after getting everything together, I noticed the motherboards website doesn't list the 3850 as compatible or whatever but it seems to work just fine.