Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » PC Games and Steam » AMD teases TressFX, a 'new frontier of realism in PC gaming' to be unveiled February 26 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Neoseeker does not support warez of any kind. Any request for CD keys will be deleted or closed on sight, regardless of the situation. Thank you
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 25, 13 at 9:52ambluexy

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 27, 13 at 7:53pm
lKasHl

harbin it looks like a start, it’d be advantageous for AMD to have something proprietary on the market since if they secure both consoles and its dev friendly they can basically have implementation in most next gen games, single handedly dominating PhysX (which never really established ground due to the 50/50 market split between it and its rivals and console incompatibility) and havoc.

All that remains to be seen is whether AMD has the capacity to develop something good enough since they, for the most part support open source, and likely have less experience in that area.

Feb 27, 13 at 11:38am
harbin

So would this be AMD now trying to combat Nvidias PhysX? I hope they develop it beyond hair physics in the future.

Feb 27, 13 at 9:00am
bluexy

Kaindog Hahaha, I'd trade all of the FPS for that. lol

Feb 27, 13 at 8:53am
KainDog

bluexy Seeing as Skyrim would be amazing with my Khajit just fluffing up the place, then yes.

Feb 26, 13 at 10:37am
nipsen

It's not.. that complicated on the high level. When you can use complex math (past shader logic), you can have fairly complex models and wave-simulations running on the object collections - but only render the visible parts. And not - for example - the individual strands of hairs, with particle physics pushing each strand back and forth, and so on.

Because that would be extremely heavy. Even if updating or "flexing" strands of hairs in the mesh/model isn't actually that expensive.

It's similar to the way the fur was done in Shadow of The Colossus, or the fur we were kind of expecting in The Last Guardian. Same principle they use in WipeoutHD and GT5 (much more complex models in the game than what's rendered - the rendered detail is dynamic, adjusted to what the rasterizer actually can complete.. GT5 has a few physics details that are much more complex than what you can do with directcompute every frame as well..).

The irony is that the level of this is pretty low compared to what could have been made on the ps3.

Feb 26, 13 at 10:07am
bluexy

Kaindog Aren't you willing to trade 5-10 FPS for beautiful hair?

Feb 26, 13 at 10:05am
KainDog

The hair will have more polygons than the actual entity is how I'm reading this.

Feb 25, 13 at 8:34pm
lKasHl

^^and it has implications for all forms of particle physics and rendering

Feb 25, 13 at 7:20pm
nipsen

^ It's... one of the most difficult things to animate believably. Hair.

Feb 25, 13 at 6:37pm
Praetorian_Lord

Thought this article was brilliant until I realised it was serious.

Hair graphics, really?