Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] Neoseeker App » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 25, 13 at 8:17am

I'm sure this has been brought up before somewhere but this is all I could find from searching in the directory, and that is just talking about Neo mobile, not an actual app available for download. A Neo app would make it so much easier to scan through your favorite forums, check up on your PM's, and would definitely increase activity. I'm sure there is a reason why there isn't one yet, but I think that whatever is keeping it from happening should be worked on whenever possible.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 02, 13 at 5:38pm
Nagare

Although I noticed a decrease in usability with an increase in resolution for the mobile mode, I can't really say that it took very long to adjust to the different sizes. I don't have problems tapping the double arrows or selecting the right page but I can definitely see how some users do.

My point to you, Divinorse, is that Neoseeker is still just as accessible to you whether it is an app or a mobile website. Your reluctance to use anything but an app is your own choice and the reason that you were demoted from your positions due to lack of activity. You could very easily access the site with your iPod touch in the 24/7 period that you said you were with your iPod. But you chose not to for personal reasons. I'm not saying that an app wouldn't be nice for many users and would probably increase the number of users a bit if it trended high enough on app lists, but it really shouldn't be too much of a priority given the myriad number of devices that Neo is accessed by and how it "should" be easier to adapt the mobile site to something more user friendly. Overclock.Net has great mobile views for its forums in my opinion and some of those ideas could be adapted here.

Jul 02, 13 at 11:36am
Aurora

My main issue with it is that lots of the links are too small or close together. Drives me crazy on my phone, esp. that "»" link to go to the last post in a thread.

Jul 02, 13 at 11:22am
Akira_EX

quote Kaiba
Neoseeker's mobile mode was put together very well. I'm not about to shun it for an app that would only be kind of better.
Usability for mobile mode is pretty bad, actually.

Jul 02, 13 at 11:11am
Aurora

An app would be great, but look at it this way: Neo could probably improve the mobile site many times over for a mere fraction of the cost (in time and money) of developing an iPhone/Android app. I think I'd rather they worked on improving the mobile site.

Jul 02, 13 at 8:27am
Kaiba

Erm. Dragoon, nobody is saying that the mobile browser is preferable to an app. Of course you would use the app if there was one.

I use Neoseeker's mobile site all the time. I am not hindered in the slightest by having to navigate to the webpage. And even if I was, I have the option to bookmark any webpage as an app. With one touch it opens my browser right to that page.

So it most certainly is a case of "you can just use your browser", but only in cases where an app doesn't already exist. Having never experienced the hypothetical convenience of a Neoseeker app, I have no problem with the supposed less desirable experience of the mobile mode.

Neoseeker's mobile mode was put together very well. I'm not about to shun it for an app that would only be kind of better.

Jul 02, 13 at 12:33am
Dragoon

Divinorse has a point to be honest, I never used to use twitter on my phone until I got the app, now I tweet all the time. If I want to quickly tweet something or check on something I don't want to go trawling through webpages to get there, I want it instantly at the press of my thumb. This is also the case for accessing emails on my phone and Facebook - I can't recall the last time I used my mobile browser to access either of those, and now since I took my Facebook app off my phone, I don't find myself using Facebook at all unless I'm on my laptop...

If it was a simple case of "oh well you can use your browser", a lot of the apps such as twitter and facebook wouldn't be so widely used.

However, I believe the point in that you can access Neoseeker from your browser in valid in the sense that Neo doesn't currently have the time to dedicate to creating and maintaining such a product (at least, as of right now), so being able to access it from your mobile browser is much more convenient and a better option right now.

I'd be just as open as a for a "background app", so to speak, where I would get notifications on my phone if I received a new notification or PM on Neoseeker. For those with the GMail app you'll be aware that you get notification on your phone when you have a new email, something to that effect would be just as welcome.

Jul 01, 13 at 8:16pm
Kaiba

quote Divinorse
you don't know me you don't know my lifestyle you don't know what goes on
"YOU DON'T KNOW ME. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH."

Ahaha. At any rate, a Neo app would be convenient, and I think we should get one somewhere down the line, but there's not much that can't be done on the mobile site.

A Neogallery app would be cool though. I imagine galleries would have a surge in popularity if such an app were made. You see something cool while out and about, snap a picture on your phone, upload it right to your neogallery. There was actually a time today where I would have done that.

Jul 01, 13 at 3:18pm
Divinorse

Yes true, I realize that now and makes sense but when I go to the site it doesn't let me upload pics to my gallery from mobile. So I definitely think a Neo Gallery App at the least would be beneficial.

Jul 01, 13 at 3:15pm
Justin

Nagare's point was that already you can go to McDonalds and use your iPod to browse and use Neoseeker pretty easily. An app would make this more user friendly but will do nothing to make your access to neoseeker more frequent.

Jul 01, 13 at 2:18pm
Divinorse

quote Nagare
Your ability to access Neo wouldn't be any higher or lower with an app. Either way requires an internet connection and a mobile site already exists which can handle moderator functions.
Umm actually yes it would, you don't know me you don't know my lifestyle you don't know what goes on so you can't say that. My availability would be a lot higher if we had an app because I'm on my iPod almost 24 hours a day, as for my computer I'm never home in time to ever get on and my laptop is acting funny so I don't like to use it as much as I use my iPod.

All I have to do when I'm out during the day is to go to a Mcdonalds and I can get on wifi and see Neo through the app.

I also like the idea of a NeoSeeker gallery app, maybe with just the features of the gallery to allow members to upload their pictures easier.