Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » low budget gaming laptop/desktop » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 13, 13 at 5:48pmDQ junkee

hello, I am looking for a new gaming laptop/desktop. i'm not looking for the ultimate-mega-supreme computer, but I would like to be able to run most games at mid to high settings with minimal lag/slowdown. would prefer laptop but either is perfectly fine.

thanks in advance.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 21, 13 at 6:04am
angieluc4

I would like to be able to run most games at mid to high

Feb 19, 13 at 9:14pm
DQ junkee

Alrighty. Thanks again for all your help shiny mew

Feb 19, 13 at 10:08am
Shiny Mew

quote DQ junkee
Shiny Mew About how much would a decent monitor and windows cos?
$100~ each I think. But I'm in the UK so I can't be sure. Look around for decent prices, I don't know a lot of us stores.

Feb 19, 13 at 9:32am
DQ junkee

Shiny Mew About how much would a decent monitor and windows cos?

Feb 19, 13 at 8:43am
Shiny Mew

DQ Junkee
That will most likely run all games currently out on ultra at 1080p with a minimum of 30fps (No Anti Aliasing). Although that $959.48 doesn't include a monitor or windows.

Feb 19, 13 at 8:14am
DQ junkee

Feb 19, 13 at 6:59am
Shiny Mew

Feb 18, 13 at 3:30pm
harhis23

quote DQ junkee
well today i custom-built an Alienware desktop, just to see what the price would be. it came out to $957. these are the specs, so if someone could tell me if this is worth the price, that'd be great

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY: 6GB (1 X 2GB, 1 X 4GB) DDR3 at 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE: Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5
WIRELESS: DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card

oh and, i'd say my budget is around 800-1,000
This setup is not bad at all. But I think a year or two from now when developers release new game engines to support high-res and much better games, you'll have to upgrade. But this build is cheaper than it looks... or, for this kind of budget, you could have built much better machine.

Well, enjoy your games, nonetheless.

Feb 17, 13 at 4:19am
CMNealTan

Thanks for the PcPartPicker link!

Good choice on those parts. I would go for 8 GB of ram, unless I was doing excessive video editing and what not. But, hey, ram is so cheap nowadays, so why not, right?

I would change the Power Supply though. Power Supplies are where you should invest more in, as a bad power supply can damage your computer components (over time by delivering dirty power) and can even explode! I suggest the Seasonic S12II 430W. It was given a Golden Award by Hardware Secrets (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-S12II-Bronze-430-W-Power-Supply-Review/1590).

Personally, I'm a build-it-yourself PC person, and I don't go for notebooks. PC's can be customized to however you want it to be, on your particular budget. Notebooks, on the other hand, are pre-built, and the specs and performance I would want would always be more expensive than if I just bought higher performing parts for my PC.

That said, that particular notebook, the Acer Aspire V3-571G-9686, is cheaper at Newegg. Things you have to know about it:
- The HDD is only 500 GB and has an rpm of 5400. Most of the people who bought have complained about the the speed being slow.
- Display resolution is 1366x768. Again, personally, ever since I started on the 1920x1080, smaller resolutions just don't give me the same viewing satisfaction.

Feb 16, 13 at 9:52am
DQ junkee

here

was also looking at this and was wondering if it would be any good.