Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Desktop vs Mini Desktop » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 21, 13 at 5:56am
alicepattinson

quote S h a d o w
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a desktop over something smaller like this?

I know someone who wants something tiny like that, to mainly use for disk burning. Would the disk drive in it be suitable?
This is good for Facebook, some online stuff and the like. True for games and big files this is not suitable.

Feb 18, 13 at 3:55pm
harhis23

I love compact desktops, however, when its comes to extensive gaming, they are not just my type. Because they are compact, components are set so close to each other that would produce more heat. When it comes to conserving space at home, however, they're good.

Feb 12, 13 at 1:39pm
The Slayer

Usually those compact/mini desktop computers have pretty low specs. That mini desktop you linked to only has an Intel Celeron processor at 1.5ghz with intel HD graphics. Meaning about the only thing it can do is some simple web browsing or office programs. The only game that will be playing is Solitare. The Celeron is also Intels lower end line of processors so they're not fast to begin with, especially at that speed. I dont think you can even playback 1080p video on it smoothly.

I have a Sapphire Mini PC with an Atom processor and it can't handle too much except web browsing. It has a lot of trouble just playing a 720p video.

Desktops are generally more powerful, even the lower end models, than those mini pc's, such as a better processor and video. They're also easier to upgrade if you wish to do that.

Feb 12, 13 at 11:12am
harbin

Other than space, not much. Small PCs like that one are usually designed for those who just want a PC for light home stuff, such as internet exploring, mail, some multimedia playback and office features. The disk drive can write to DVDs and CDs although it the speed it can burn at isn't listed and would be limited a bit by the specs.

Larger desktops generally can do more because space isn't a restrictive factor meaning better ability to cool components, ability to fit more stuff in it, etc... For that reason, full size desktops are often higher spec, come with a greater performance and as such a higher price.

Feb 12, 13 at 10:04am
S h a d o w

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a desktop over something smaller like this?

I know someone who wants something tiny like that, to mainly use for disk burning. Would the disk drive in it be suitable?