Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » ~£1000 first time build, any comments appreciated!! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 07, 13 at 7:56amArjy

Hey guys so I decided to build my own desktop for the first time and would really value any of your experts comments on my hardware choices and any compatibility issues!

The main purpose of this desktop is audio production, light to moderate video editing and moderate to heavy gaming. By moderate to heavy gaming I mean that I'm not fussed about pushing the latest and greatest titles to the absolute perfect maximum, but I want to be able to play new titles at high settings without any problems.

Note: I can expand the budget if there's a part that would make a massive difference!

Processor: Intel i5 3570K 3.40Ghz
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660 OC with 2GB DDR5
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w ATX2
Boot drive: Samsung 840 256Gb SSD
Case: Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case with Red LED fans

Out of these I am least sure about the PSU, Case and Motherboard....but yeah any advice or input from you experts is much appreciated!!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 11, 13 at 7:25pm
Nagare

Arjy, no clue if you can take advantage of this deal, but [ BuyDig has the 840 250GB for $160] in the US right now. The 500GB version is at $295 right now too. Pretty good deal if you can take advantage of it, otherwise sorry for rubbing it in your face

Feb 11, 13 at 3:21am
magsasaka

Arjy my motherboard came with 2 sata 3 cables which is quite handy considering i needed exactly 2, 1 for the cd drive and another for the hdd. so u might wanna contact the seller and ask for the details

Feb 10, 13 at 4:07pm
Arjy

quote Arjy
quote Crusad3r
Don't forget an optic drive and RAM Arjy, that's about it. You might need to grab an extra SATA cable, but otherwise, shouldn't have any dramas.
Sorry Crusad3r when I quoted I meant to say thanks for the help, think I'll deffo need a SATA cable as the HDD im looking at is an OEM package - no cables included!

duneworld thanks alot think I'll have a look at that PSU! Though tbh I'm ok with paying £8 to have a modular PSU.

CMNealTan yeah forgot to mention my RAM, I'm going with 16Gb Corsair vengeance. Unnecessary I know but since RAMs so cheap these days I figure Id push the boat out in that front

harbin yeah the OS is outside the budget, going to go with Windows 7 Professional. Can't get on board with Windows 8 at this point I'm afraid!

Feb 10, 13 at 10:11am
harbin

If you already have a PC you should be able to take the HDD and optical drive out of that and move that into the new PC, assuming they both use SATA.

Do you have an OS available or is that seperate from the budget?

Feb 10, 13 at 8:07am
CMNealTan

8 GB of ram would be a good addition to your already great build up there.

Feb 08, 13 at 6:36pm
Arjy

quote Crusad3r
Don't forget an optic drive and RAM Arjy, that's about it. You might need to grab an extra SATA cable, but otherwise, shouldn't have any dramas.

Feb 08, 13 at 2:15pm
duneworld

This is significantly cheaper than the OCZ600MXSP (which I'm finding for ~£60), but is actually significantly better IMO (apart from not being modular) and more than enough for a build with a single GTX 660:
OCZ ZS Series 550W (£52 @ Ebuyer)
http://skinflint.co.uk/631078

Feb 07, 13 at 7:45pm
Crusad3r

Feb 07, 13 at 2:30pm
Arjy

quote Crusad3r
That's a solid looking build. I'd get a separate HDD though, for mass storage.

Also, video editing is more demanding on a system (CPU-wise) than gaming, so if you're video editing, check out the recommended specs for your video editing program and work off that.
Yeah good idea might invest in a 2TB WD drive

Thanks alot for your comments bro think I'm good to go!

Feb 07, 13 at 9:51am
Crusad3r

That's a solid looking build. I'd get a separate HDD though, for mass storage.

Also, video editing is more demanding on a system (CPU-wise) than gaming, so if you're video editing, check out the recommended specs for your video editing program and work off that.