Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Playstation 3 » Sony teases something big for February, could very well be the PlayStation 4 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 31, 13 at 3:36pmRabidChinaGirl

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 02, 13 at 9:41am
devil jin

Hmmm. It is quite early in the year for a new console release/announcement........ If they announce the ps4 Feb/20........ idk. There are a lot of games coming out during spring and not much in the fall except GTA V that I know of. So this could leave a window of launch titles should the ps4 release in the fall. But the price of a new console and games could be an issue unless they're releasing in bundles...... lol I may have to wait a while myself with my first year of college.

Feb 02, 13 at 5:30am
Ville_Valo

quote Jeg
It's been 7 long years. We need to move on. Bring on the PS4, Sony!
6 years And I don't in any way crave a replacement for the PS3. I just don't think it's necessary.
quote BlackLabel
Wall Street Journal has said that this event is for the PlayStation 4. They have been told by sources close to the project that it is being unveiled with a plan to launch later this year and it will be going head to head with Xbox. The system will also be more social than previous systems with Sony choosing not to simply focus on raw power this time, although I'm guessing this system will be a beast in its own right.

Source
Bullshit. PS3 took more than a year from announcement to sale, PS2 also took a year.
So they said they have people close to the issue talking to them, it sounds like they're just trying to beat everyone to the punch. Sony announce a mystery, they instantly announce that they know the answer.
Seems likely that it's PS4, but I don't trust that link as far as I can throw it.

And you can't throw virtual stuff very far.
quote J917
Am I going to be left all alone on PS3 after this has been released, whenever that is?
No, because (as you say) it'll be super expensive, and in a year that sees Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Grid 2, GTA V, God of War Ascension...people aren't about to drop their PS3s.
In fact that's a good point - so many high profile releases this year, especially GTA at the end of the year. As if Sony would shoot them in the foot by releasing a console just months later. If that were the case, R* would've been in on it years ago, and we'd have V on PS4.

Feb 01, 13 at 6:18pm
J917

Am I going to be left all alone on PS3 after this has been released, whenever that is?

It'll be too expensive at first, might not buy it at all if second-hand games can't be played/no backwards compatibility. Wonder if you keep your PSN profile from PS3.

Feb 01, 13 at 4:57pm
Antipathy

Here's hoping to DS3, completely unchanged in shape.

Feb 01, 13 at 4:21pm
bluexy

already We're a small writing team. We do our best, but tend to prefer a paced, editorialized approach to news as opposed to publishing everything without giving subject matter any consideration. We're also much more community oriented, focused on encouraging discussion, interacting with everyone, and generally just having fun.

Good call on noting there aren't any releases scheduled for the final quarter of 2013. It's not something many folk have realized. Big red flag, signifying next-gen being on the way. Well, many of us who don't have to watch release schedules for their job.

Feb 01, 13 at 4:12pm
already

quote Winter1
I can afford to pay the dlc, so either don't pay it and miss out or buy it and get all the game.

If the games not that good , then don't buy the dlc. That how I decide.

Little point in complaining about something you can't change.
Just because something's affordable, doesn't mean that it's smart. And it can be changed if people could learn some self-control and reject shady practices.

I guess this announcement makes sense considering God of War, Sly, and Last of Us are supposed to be released early on in the year

edit: this site is pretty slow compared to the spam-filled gamefaqs and ign

Feb 01, 13 at 3:11pm
Raijin1999

quote BlackLabel
Wall Street Journal has said that this event is for the PlayStation 4. They have been told by sources close to the project that it is being unveiled with a plan to launch later this year and it will be going head to head with Xbox. The system will also be more social than previous systems with Sony choosing not to simply focus on raw power this time, although I'm guessing this system will be a beast in its own right.

Source

I can guarantee you that the key to the PS4 is the multitasking it's being readied for. If folks have been paying attention to the news (and the vita) it's evident that sony has been looking into ways of improving resource handling.

Sony has already said they want the next console to be able to drop the game into a background process while users can browse PSN in full on the fly and then jump right into the game without ever having to quit. Now this is something you can already do with the vita. There's a lot of power in the vita and you can run several programs simultaneously that the ps3 would simply implode if it even attempted to try. (And for no reason whatsoever it'd also completely destroy your router/modem/pc/home)

With what the vita can already do, I imagine the PS4rbis is going to be able to do with five hands tied behind its back. (It'll have a lot of hands, so hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide yo husband)

Fully anticipate being able to play your PS4rbis using the vita as a screen, as well as emulate vita games on the PS4rbis while drinking your juice in the hood.

Microsoft, do we have a problem?
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/a4/Menace-Nuke-1.jpg/600px-Menace-Nuke-1.jpg

Feb 01, 13 at 2:07pm
BlackLabel

Melinoe, If the content is good I don't mind that direction as the good content like DLC for Borderlands or Borderlands 2 is developed post-launch, it is additional and optional content and it's well made.

What I don't want to see more of is games creating map packs or creating arena style DLC to then make map packs. I think and maybe this is because I'm old school PC, but map packs should be free as they serve no additional value other than giving you a new backdrop to shoot dudes.

Overall if DLC is here to stay which I think it is there needs to be a price cap on it to stop developers taking advantage. If you have map packs they should be either free or about $2 a pack instead of $15 a pack. ff you have story based DLC that adds a lot of game play then the price should be worked out based on hours offered up to the value of $10. If DLC gets controlled then I won't mind it as much.

Feb 01, 13 at 2:07pm
Winter1

I can afford to pay the dlc, so either don't pay it and miss out or buy it and get all the game.

If the games not that good , then don't buy the dlc. That how I decide.

Little point in complaining about something you can't change.

Feb 01, 13 at 1:52pm
Melinoe

Yay the next generation of bs DLC focused gaming!

/purchase 1/2 game for $60
/purchase DLC packs totaling in $50

That means your paying $110 for a single game (battlefield 3 example)

Guess all games are not like this, but it seems to be the direction.