Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Building a Custom PC, Need Help! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 31, 13 at 12:48amVitriolicism

Hey guys, I'm new to the PC computer building game and was wondering if I may have a little help with it. Below, I've listed the parts I'm looking at the moment. I've done a lot of research, but I'm still a touch uncertain.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Video Card: GeForce GTX 680 4GB
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 2TB 7200RPM
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

The other components I have either completely forgotten about (in which case please remind me of any other crucial components), or I didn't think them relavent (case, monitor, keyboard....)

This is where you come in:
Pretty pretty please give me some advice as to specific products that match the criteria above.
Also, I don't know how much power I will need, so please give me any idea of what PSU to get.
I'm looking for a network card that allows for ethernet connection, as well as wireless later on down the track (like my laptop), any ideas or solutions for that?
Any ideas for a sound card?

So this computer is going to be predominantly a gaming PC. I'd love for it to last as well, so if you can think of any improvements that will help the longevity of this computer, please don't hold back.

I live in Australia! Which is a huge problem, please don't suggest Newegg unless it's really the very best place (in which case I will send it to some American friends, who will repost it to me).
My budget is loosely based around $1500 AUD.

I apologise for the length, and unprofessionality of this post, I'm pretty new to this all. Please don't hesitate to ask further questioned, especially if I haven't included any criteria you need.

Thanks a million guys!

V

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 10, 13 at 12:45pm
Vitriolicism

Thank you!!!!
I've been looking for stores to buy from, because the one I'm using at the moment: macotechnology.com.au
seems a bit overpriced when I compre it. Any other suggestions, fire!

V

Feb 10, 13 at 7:46am
CMNealTan

Hi Vitriolicism! Logical Increments (www.logicalincrements.com) is a great site that offers specific pc builds for specific budgets. Since you're from Australia, just change the country in the drop-down list. Currently, msy and ijk are the e-stores referenced there.

Feb 09, 13 at 4:26am
Nagare

I used a Hyper 212 Evolution which supports quite a variety of sockets including LGA 2011, but since my 3770k is 1155, that's what I used.

Feb 09, 13 at 12:27am
Vitriolicism

Right, so which CPU cooler did you go with? And for what socket?

Feb 08, 13 at 8:16pm
Nagare

For the Blu-Ray burner/player, this is the highest rated one on Newegg and should burn to CD/DVDs as well. The only problem with BluRay burners is that they don't usually come with the proper software for reading them like playing a BRD movie on your PC.

I've never heard of the Contac, but a brief search suggests that it isn't the best and people recommend the 212 over it. As a note, the CPU cooler was the hardest part of my entire build process.

Feb 08, 13 at 4:56pm
Vitriolicism

Oh, also:

Which would you all recommend more?

1) Thermaltake Contac 30 CPU Cooler
OR
2) Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler

Thanks!

V

Feb 08, 13 at 2:22pm
Vitriolicism

Oh okay, great!

I read somewhere that the UD5H was extended. Must have been wrong.

Which CD-DVD/Blu-ray drive should I get? Can anyone recommend a drive that will read and write to CD-DVD? Also, if there is one that can read and write to CD-DVD and Blu-ray, that would be cool.

Thanks!

V

Feb 08, 13 at 7:22am
Nagare

Probably not, but I'd say check with the specific case you're looking at. What reason are you looking at e-ATX boards? The UD5H you mentioned is a regular ATX board which should be more than fine for your build.

Feb 08, 13 at 2:08am
Vitriolicism

Alright, thanks.

Bit of silly question, but I can't really find an answer:
Will a full tower support an e-atx z77 motherboard?
Thanks so much!

V

Feb 03, 13 at 1:13pm
Nagare

That RAM should be fine. As for the SLI, you shouldn't need it for awhile, but if you go with at least 750W and a good brand for the power supply there should be no issues.

For your wireless idea, it is good to have just in case, but remember that a wired connection should always be much better.