Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » SSD Question » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 30, 13 at 6:33pmNcjpr1993

Good evening!

(Possibly useless introduction, skip below if too long)
I recently purchased an new graphics card in an attempt to comfortably max out some of this years more demanding releases, and while the performance has been phenomenal for the most part, there are a few little details I'm not too happy about. I can max out just about anything I own, but have had trouble with a couple titles here and there, namely: Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 MP Beta, ARMA II, Max Payne 3, and The Witcher 2. I understand these are demanding titles, but my rig seemed pretty well prepared to deal with them, and provides some pretty shoddy performance, the worst of the group being Far Cry 3 and ARMA II. The only one of these that really strains my CPU is Crysis 3, so I don't believe it's a bottleneck. So I was curious to see how buying an SSD would help me out.

While searching around, I was shocked at the general price range. I have a mere 300GB of my 1TB drive remaining, and that's not even my full Steam library. So, I was wondering if something along these lines was possible: could I potentially enjoy the performance increase of an SSD along side my current HDD? For example, if I stored my less demanding games on my HDD, and titles like Crysis 3 and ARMA II on the SSD, could I run those titles off of my SSD for a lesser hit on my performance?

If needed, my specs are as follows...

Phenom X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 4GB GTX 680 with recent beta drivers
12 GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

Much thanks in advance for any response!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 04, 13 at 10:05am
hiigaran

only in loading. you can have the worlds fastest SSD, and still get horrible FPS in games. the IN GAME performance is affected by processing power.

Feb 04, 13 at 9:30am
Ncjpr1993

quote hiigaran
processing performance > load times. priorities, dude.
Needless to say, but initially, I was under the impression that because I had to play my Steam games off of my HDD, an SSD would bring a significant performance boost.

Feb 04, 13 at 9:14am
hiigaran

processing performance > load times. priorities, dude.

Feb 04, 13 at 9:13am
Ncjpr1993

quote bakabaka
Reads and Writes to an SSD are much faster than a HDD. If I were in your shoes and had the budget, I'd have my OS and apps/games load from an SSD and a 1TB HDD hosting my mp3s, mp4s, etc.
Essentially its a waste of time and performance to store large files that are rarely accessed onto an SSD. You pay too much per GB for that. Save big fiels there upfront then send them to a HDD later on.

That's what I figured I would do if anything, but it sounds like I may hold of on the purchase of an SSD in favor of a new CPU. Speaking of which, any ideas how the Phenom II X6 1100T would perform on more demanding games? Unfortunately, it appears my Motherboard only supports AM3 sockets, and the above-mention CPU seems to be the best available option without upgrading my motherboard.

Feb 04, 13 at 8:59am
bakabaka

Reads and Writes to an SSD are much faster than a HDD. If I were in your shoes and had the budget, I'd have my OS and apps/games load from an SSD and a 1TB HDD hosting my mp3s, mp4s, etc.
Essentially its a waste of time and performance to store large files that are rarely accessed onto an SSD. You pay too much per GB for that. Save big fiels there upfront then send them to a HDD later on.

Feb 04, 13 at 8:50am
Ncjpr1993

quote hiigaran
if you intend on upgrading your CPU, try overclocking first. that should be able to give you a decent enough boost that you can get closer to maxing out your games.
I overclock a little bit, and still don't receive optimal performance on more demanding titles. I believe upgrading is the only solution at this point, but thanks for the suggestion!

quote bakabaka
Just to confirm, if it's a network game the lag will be due to network connections rather than an SSD.
I did a side by side comparison of Starcraft 2 on HDD vs SSD... the results were amazing. Unfortunately Diablo 3 loads from battlenet.
SSDs are definitely great when the content loads from the drive.
While the bulk of my problems do lie in the online-only Crysis 3 beta, I do know it is not a connection problem, as my ping for this and most other online games is generally under 60.

I suppose while this thread is still up, I can throw an additional question at those willing to answer. So, if I was to buy an SSD, could I have Fraps save my game footage to the SSD to save performance while recording?

Feb 02, 13 at 8:33am
Randome

Ncjpr1993 I would get an additional hard drive too, so you could have all your Steam stuff on it. Sounds like another 1 TB is in order.

Feb 02, 13 at 7:13am
hiigaran

if you intend on upgrading your CPU, try overclocking first. that should be able to give you a decent enough boost that you can get closer to maxing out your games.

Feb 01, 13 at 12:48pm
bakabaka

Just to confirm, if it's a network game the lag will be due to network connections rather than an SSD.
I did a side by side comparison of Starcraft 2 on HDD vs SSD... the results were amazing. Unfortunately Diablo 3 loads from battlenet.
SSDs are definitely great when the content loads from the drive.

Feb 01, 13 at 12:21pm
Ncjpr1993

Ah, well thanks for the help! I suppose this thread can be closed whenever, due to its now clearly useless nature.