Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » 1st Time Build, need suggestions. » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 27, 13 at 7:25amAgent C

Hi, I'm a first timer in terms of custom building PCs. So, my friend gave me several links for all of the basic components that I needed for a gaming PC that fits my budget of £460. Now, I'm not entirely sure whether these components are compatible, or whether they are good value for money, so please let me know if they are, as I'm only a beginner.

Gigabyte H61M-S2PV Socket 1155 Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad-Core 3.0GHz Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

EVGA Nvidia GTX550Ti 1GB 192-Bit 3D Ready Graphics Card

Artic Red 650W Power Supply Unit PSU-505

Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive ST31000524AS

Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB Memory

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1) GFC-02050

CiT Orion Midi Tower Gaming Case KJ-7286 BLUE

Acer S191HQLGb 18.5 inch WXGA 16:9 LED Backlight Monitor ET.XS1HE.G01

Also, a good wireless card under £25 if you could suggest one please.

Now, as I said above, I'm not sure if all of these parts are compatible/value for money, so please tell me if so. I'm likely not to argue because what you say will probably only benefit me because I'm a noob. If any of the parts can be replaced for a part of a better standard and a lesser/equal price, please suggest improvements. Remember, my budget is under £460. Thanks, and goodbye.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'll use it predominantly for games, ie. Skyrim, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod and PlanetSide2, for example.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 03, 13 at 7:14am
Agent C

Shiny Mew

Whoops, didn't notice P:

As I said, I'll be downloading most content, so I'll just get the cheapest available disk drive xD

I guess something like this would do.

Feb 02, 13 at 2:35am
Shiny Mew

quote Agent C
Shiny Mew

I'll try not to veer towards a cheap, awful GPU, I often look at reviews before deciding on something to see what people say about it before I think about buying it. Also, I won't have enough money left over for a disk drive, though I get cash back later in the year for my phone, with which money I'll use to upgrade some stuff, a priority being disk drives. Most of my content is Steam-based, so it shouldn't be a problem as such.

You need a disk drive to install windows

Feb 01, 13 at 4:08pm
Agent C

Shiny Mew

I'll try not to veer towards a cheap, awful GPU, I often look at reviews before deciding on something to see what people say about it before I think about buying it. Also, I won't have enough money left over for a disk drive, though I get cash back later in the year for my phone, with which money I'll use to upgrade some stuff, a priority being disk drives. Most of my content is Steam-based, so it shouldn't be a problem as such.

Feb 01, 13 at 11:30am
Shiny Mew

Agent C

It's a good budget build, and the case allows you to upgrade to water cooling in the future. The PSU also gives headroom for a GPU upgrade if you ever want that.
One thing I will say is, the graphics card is probably the one thing you don't want to go too cheap on, I made that mistake and bought a VTX3D HD7770 and it hits temperatures of 90C-100C on farcry 3, which is bad. Go for a Sapphire or XFX card, they're better. I can't comment on the wireless PCI adapter. Do you already have a disc drive?

Feb 01, 13 at 8:08am
Agent C

Shiny Mew

I found a spare £20 lying in my room, so I'm using that to buy a Phenom instead of an Athlon. I'm also investing in clearance parts from CCL (all checked and working) so I can invest more in my PSU. I'll edit later with links.

Edit: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 650W PSU Power Supply

Dynamode WL-GI-600-11N 802.11n Wireless PCI Adaptor

Acer S191HQLGb 18.5 inch WXGA 16:9 LED Backlight Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard Phenom II AMD Athlon II Socket AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX RAID Gigabit Ethernet

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor

Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive

Casecom CS-13 Full Tower ATX Case - Black

I'll find a link to the graphics card, I'm looking for a good, cheap HD 7770 or something relative to it.

That's the full rig, bar the GPU. PLease tell me of any compatibility issues/value for money issues that need to be attended to. Thanks :P

Jan 30, 13 at 9:30am
Shiny Mew

quote Agent C
Cheers, Shiny Mew

The thing I forgot to clarify was that I was wanting 2 sticks of RAM so I had 8GB P:

I had the wrong title because I copied the name off the link in my favourites, which was the incorrect one, sorry xD

Also, I'll consider upgrading the processor.

But otherwise, thanks for the advice you gave me, much appreciated.

I thought since your build is so similar to mine, I'll link you what I got for about £350.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2S4DD7B3MAYAD/ref=cm_wl_sb_o?reveal=all&filter=all&sort=date-added&layout=standard&x=6&y=7
I got a 1.5TB 5900RPM HDD from e-buyer. I wouldn't recommend the VTX version of the graphics card, it has temperature problems on some high spec games (BF3, Farcry 3).
I went overboard with a 750W PSU, although it means I can upgrade my graphics card, but it isn't a great psu. I'm not too sure about the one you've chosen either. I also got two of those 4GB sticks of RAM.
My CPU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-HDZ965FBGMBOX-Phenom-II-965/dp/B002SRQ214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359567062&sr=8-1

Jan 30, 13 at 9:14am
Agent C

Cheers, Shiny Mew

The thing I forgot to clarify was that I was wanting 2 sticks of RAM so I had 8GB P:

I had the wrong title because I copied the name off the link in my favourites, which was the incorrect one, sorry xD

Also, I'll consider upgrading the processor.

But otherwise, thanks for the advice you gave me, much appreciated.

Jan 30, 13 at 8:40am
Shiny Mew

quote Agent C
Hi, I'm a first timer in terms of custom building PCs. So, my friend gave me several links for all of the basic components that I needed for a gaming PC that fits my budget of £460. Now, I'm not entirely sure whether these components are compatible, or whether they are good value for money, so please let me know if they are, as I'm only a beginner.

Now, as I said above, I'm not sure if all of these parts are compatible/value for money, so please tell me if so. I'm likely not to argue because what you say will probably only benefit me because I'm a noob. If any of the parts can be replaced for a part of a better standard and a lesser/equal price, please suggest improvements. Remember, my budget is under £460. Thanks, and goodbye.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'll use it predominantly for games, ie. Skyrim, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod and PlanetSide2, for example.

That motherboard isn't compatible with the processor, socket 1155 is for Intel chips.
Try this: AM3+ AMD Compatible motherboard
This should be fine for what you want, and if you don't mind spending a little more on processor and RAM I'd got for the AMD Phenom II series (I have the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition at 3.4GHz) What you're building is close to what I have built.
RAM
Two sticks of RAM with heatsinks at 1600MHz, two sticks are faster than one. (Your choice).
The 550ti is good, but if you can I'd get an AMD Radeon HD7770, if not, it won't make a massive difference.

EDIT: I was wrong about the motherboard, yours is fine, but you labelled the link socket 1155 which is wrong.

Jan 27, 13 at 7:25am
Agent C