Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » PC Games and Steam » Microsoft Studios PLAY launches for Windows 8, with Xbox-like features and 15 games » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Neoseeker does not support warez of any kind. Any request for CD keys will be deleted or closed on sight, regardless of the situation. Thank you
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 18, 13 at 12:24pmRabidChinaGirl

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 19, 13 at 11:59am
Northern49

^ Ex7forW8 boots Windows 8 to the desktop instead.

I don't see the Start Screen as an improvement on the Start Menu. It contains little additional functionality, and is in many ways harder to use. There are a lot of oversights done by Microsoft, and I wouldn't blame anyone for sticking to 7 right now, or waiting until Microsoft admits and fixes its failures in Windows 9 in the same way 7 fixed the problems with Vista, and XP fixed the problems with ME. Microsoft just can't get it right the first time.

I'm running Windows 8 atm with Start8, but once the trial expires I may either try to use the Start Screen again, or use Ex7forW8. The only thing I can say I love about Windows 8 is the new login screen and the Netflix app. (which deosn't run on silverlight)

Jan 19, 13 at 10:20am
Nagare

Northern49, I am also confused by the lack of 360 controller support in the start screen.

harbin it really isn't that bad. Have you actually given it a chance? You aren't really forced to use it at all other than first boot up. Windows key still allows you to quickly access apps by hitting then typing except its full screen now.

Jan 19, 13 at 10:01am
Northern49

You shouldn't have to, but you can.

Jan 19, 13 at 9:35am
harbin

Northern49 without wanting to turn this into a discussion between Windows 7 and Windows 8 that program will look like it will do the job but it is obvious Microsoft didn't listen to feedback with the interface. I don't see why I should have to download a unnofficial 'hack' just for the interface I desire. Not sure if there is any performance, security or other hit on the system but I'll try it out in my W8 VM.

If the key is still working

Jan 19, 13 at 9:14am
Northern49

harbin, check out ex7forW8. It takes the original Windows 7 explorer.exe (which includes the start menu) and replaces Windows 8s entirely. The Start Screen and all Metro apps are not even accessible, and you still retain all of the other positive features of W8. You just need a copy of the Windows 7 install files for the program to make a copy of the original explorer, either on disc or on a flash drive.

BTW, I agree. Windows 8 should have been a scrollable desktop and not a overlaying application. I don't think it should be uninstallable, just disable-able. Hence the show desktop button could have easily replaced the Start Button.

I've been using this "Start Screen" alternative for months. http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14556

Jan 19, 13 at 8:58am
harbin

quote Nagare
harbin where did you read they are completely abandoning Windows 7? It still has main support through 2015 and lame support through 2020. Also, it came out four years ago now...
Just what I've perceived.

There are no more planned service packs for Windows 7, the desktop gadget gallery (although more people have started using Rainmeter instead) is now closed they may be giving extended support until 2015-2020.

Now I'd have upgraded to Windows 8 had they not forced the Start Screen on me. It has it's uses for tablet PCs but on the desktop, it just makes alot of common tasks less convenient to carry out. The start screen could've easily been used as a dynamic desktop which could be disabled in the 'Add/remove Windows features' for those like me who wouldn't use it.

Jan 19, 13 at 8:55am
Northern49

Yet still no option to navigate Windows 8's start screen using an xbox 360 controller. Those fools!

THM - Consoles are glorified DVD players.

Jan 18, 13 at 5:16pm
Nagare

harbin where did you read they are completely abandoning Windows 7? It still has main support through 2015 and lame support through 2020. Also, it came out four years ago now...

Jan 18, 13 at 3:13pm
THM

Nah...Console is the best to enjoy these days...Heyday of PC games are so 90s!!

Jan 18, 13 at 1:26pm
harbin

So Microsoft just completely abandoning Windows 7 then? Their loyalty to their customers is worse than EAs at the minute. I can't blame them wanting to push Windows 8 but no more service packs for the OS, no more added features, nothing.

I'll stick with Steam thanks. I'm sure an Xbox emulator exists around the net someone, I should just be able to put an Xbox game in my Bluray drive and play it there.