Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Hardrive free space slowly reducing » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 16, 13 at 12:14pmS h a d o w

The free space on my hardrive is slowly reducing on its own.
Did a little research and seems it may be caused by a memory leak or a programme dumping logs etc.

I noticed it yesterday when it said out of hardrive space and it hit 0GB free.
I got it back up to 12GB and today it was down to 3GB. Just got it back up to 9GB and it went down 0.08GB in 30min.
Also I swear I had about 30GB free in the first place!

It seems to have just suddenly started happening and I haven't installed any new programmes recently.
I have no idea where to start looking to solve the problem and I REALLY do not want to have to reformat!

Please help
Thanks

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 19, 13 at 7:14am
S h a d o w

AVG only picked up a tracking cookie...

Will try a Malwarebytes scan, then Windows Malware Removal Tool, and finally WinDirStat if it still continues

Jan 17, 13 at 12:48pm
D-G

Beware of Windows filling up your OS hard drive with update files.

Jan 17, 13 at 11:21am
S h a d o w

Nope, not a SSD.

I have AVG Internet Security? Should I run an AVG scan or download that Windows Malware one?
I do have Malwarebytes but it only runs when I tell it to scan, should I use that?

Will try WinDirStat if the scans do not work.

Thanks

Jan 17, 13 at 12:11am
hiigaran

is this a SSD, by any chance?

Jan 16, 13 at 6:03pm
The Slayer

http://windirstat.info/

That will tell you whats using the most space on your hard drive.

Jan 16, 13 at 5:29pm
TailsFan101

quote S h a d o w
Did a little research and seems it may be caused by a memory leak or a programme dumping logs etc.

I got it back up to 12GB and today it was down to 3GB. Just got it back up to 9GB and it went down 0.08GB in 30min.

It seems to have just suddenly started happening and I haven't installed any new programmes recently.
I have no idea where to start looking to solve the problem and I REALLY do not want to have to reformat!

Please help
Thanks
I think you have Worms. they are a virus that enters your computer and copies itself reducing memory spaceTo fix it run Windows Malware Removal Tool then type in MRT.

Jan 16, 13 at 12:14pm
S h a d o w

Please help
Thanks