Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Compaq Presario S5000NX Ram Compatibility » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 17, 13 at 4:25pm
plushy1anthony_9_9

quote The Slayer
I'm not even sure it would be worth it to upgrade the ram in a 10 year old computer...

But from googleing, it looks like the max the motherboard will support is 1gb total, or two 512mb sticks. You could just get one 512mb stick and add it and keep the 128mb stick and have 640mb total.

Some motherboards can support a lot of ram (some modern ones can support 64gb or even 128gb and up for servers). Even most DDR based motherboards can hold 1gb sticks, not sure why yours doesnt. My guess would be its age or it was somehow cheaper for them to do it that way.

Why are you wanting to upgrade the ram?

The ram listed on this page should all work in that computer.
Thanks, though that's what I had found through googling for this specific computer. I'm only getting ram right now for it as it doesn't have any ram at all since the stick that was in it before no longer works.

Hopefully, though, someone here with some more retro knowledge of computers could explain to me why this computer is supposedly unable to take 1 gb sticks when I've been reading around that low density 1 gb ddr ram works for nearly every motherboard.

Jan 13, 13 at 7:02pm
The Slayer

I'm not even sure it would be worth it to upgrade the ram in a 10 year old computer...

But from googleing, it looks like the max the motherboard will support is 1gb total, or two 512mb sticks. You could just get one 512mb stick and add it and keep the 128mb stick and have 640mb total.

Some motherboards can support a lot of ram (some modern ones can support 64gb or even 128gb and up for servers). Even most DDR based motherboards can hold 1gb sticks, not sure why yours doesnt. My guess would be its age or it was somehow cheaper for them to do it that way.

Why are you wanting to upgrade the ram?

The ram listed on this page should all work in that computer.

Jan 13, 13 at 2:12pm
plushy1anthony_9_9

I'm wondering what's the max size of ram that can go on this computer's default motherboard? I've read from the computer's manufacturer website that it can only support two 512 mb sticks, but I don't really understand why when there exists 1 gb ddr sticks. I've read that high density 1gb ddr sticks are incompatible with nearly all motherboards, which is why I should buy a low density 1gb stick. I'm wondering if the 1gb low density ddr sdram will work in this computer?