Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » first time build with some typical concerns » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 07, 13 at 9:45amtaylork52

Im looking to build myself a desktop after 6 years of using my Dell XPS M1730 laptop. I'm not sure what parts to go looking at as we all know there a a ton. I am using my computer for gaming. I'm not interested in the highest end stuff but I do want it to be better than I have currently. I'm really looking for something along these simple minded specs on a budget of $800-$1,000(tweakable):

-MoBo can be whatever I'm not looking for something fancy.
-CPU I'm looking something a bit above avg.
-8GB of RAM preferred
-1TB of HDD space(unless its just an obnoxious amount)
-GFX card I just want something that's the most bang for my little $, and better than what I have now.
-Sound im not to worried about, as long as i get it
-Networking I would like to go wireless if at all possible due to running a wire would be tedious, however I want to keep the option open for a wire.
-Power supply, typical one that would work with all my components nothing special.
-Cooling, I'm not sure what method other than fans I want to use but I'm open to options.
-Tower I wanna go something from Cooler Master as I am familiar with them and like what they offer.

Current Dell specs:
Intel core2Duo t8300 2.40GHz it's listed 2 times in my device manager as well, so i tihnk i have 2?
NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT however its been failing a lot lately.
4 GB of RAM that I put in myself.
HDD looks like its 285GB and almost full, so I wanna go bigger.

Games I play are, WoW, World of Tanks, Diablo III, Sins of a Solar Empire, Minecraft(biggest issue I have gamewise oddly lol), and some various Steam games. Photo and video editing would be nice If i had the proper hardware storage, and programs.

Anything else I can provide let me know I'm looking to learn not just build. The major thing I was worried about was compatibility if I picked my own parts. I browse newegg, and tiger direct mostly b/c I trust them. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 15, 13 at 11:00am
Smok3Dogg

Build looks good. You really don't need a sound card. That CPU cooler is nice. But you could get the hyper 212 and save some money.

Jan 14, 13 at 11:38pm
taylork52

ok i finally got it set up for critiquing the link is

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xHlN

It is still missing a sound card. Will i need separate speakers if i'm planning to use the t.v.? I'd like to run Win7.
I would like to adjust the optical drive for blue-ray, just don't know which one. so that maybe i can start getting the combo packs and watch blue-rays off my pc on my t.v. since that will be my monitor as well, at least that's the plan.
If anything seems over kill and i can shave a few bucks awesome.

Jan 10, 13 at 2:30pm
taylork52

Did some reading and i think going intel is actually smarter with my future life length desire due to the better efficientcy of them. Im currently playing a mix and match on pcpartpicker.com to get a good idea of $$ allocations. Then tweak individual parts as needed.

Jan 08, 13 at 7:14am
taylork52

Oh my bad usa. And since i never really answered ur amd/intel question, lets go amd. Thx for all the help by the way.

Jan 08, 13 at 5:52am
Crusad3r

so last question, which country are you from? just so I can determine a source

Jan 08, 13 at 5:23am
taylork52

Well then scratch the 10 years lol. Future proof isnt a big worry. I figured 10 was high. It was more just running still in 10. Didnt have to be tech proof. Im really open to it all. Tech wise a few years is ok. I know itll get out dated but the beauty of building is you can slowly upgrade so i say we just see what my budget would allow and adjust from there

Jan 08, 13 at 1:28am
Crusad3r

The way I see it, if you want a computer that will last you 10 years, you'll have to go for the really high end hardware. I mean, really high end. A CPU that will still work decently~ish in 10 years would cost you around $600-$700 or more today. To accommodate for that, you'll also have to go for a very high end power supply, easily costing at least $200. So basically, just 2 parts will set you back 1 grand, and we haven't even gotten to the graphics card and motherboard yet.

Jan 07, 13 at 3:18pm
taylork52

Well i dont know which has more to offer as far as d and intel, or the real difference. I mean im familiar with the brands just not what the difference between em are.

As per video editing its not a big thing. It really depends on the tax return lol. But pending the difference were talking im open to upping it.

As for future proof, my xps has done well for 6 years so something that holds a good 6 at least id like 10 years. I kno tech Changes exponentially like every 4 but im ok as long as it works lol

As for peripherals i was planning to use one of my hd tvs as a monitor (32in or the 24in) mouse and keyboards im set i go cheap with those but i have been considering a multi button mouse. Sound i have nothing unless it can eun thru the tv. Thx for reminding me on that. So used to em being attached to the lappy lol i forgot

Jan 07, 13 at 11:14am
Crusad3r

The biggest compatibility issue would be with the motherboard and CPU. Other parts these days are generally cross compatible.

Few questions:

- Are you interested in an AMD or Intel CPU?
- Since you mentioned video editing, are you willing to go above your budget by a bit? Video rendering takes a lot of GPU power
- How future proof do you want your PC?
- Do you already have peripherals? (Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers etc etc.)

Jan 07, 13 at 9:45am
taylork52

Im looking to build myself a desktop after 6 years of using my Dell XPS M1730 laptop. I'm not sure what parts to go looking at as we all know there a a ton. I am using my computer for gaming. I'm not interested in the highest end stuff but I do want it to be better than I have currently. I'm really looking for something along these simple minded specs on a budget of $800-$1,000(tweakable):

-MoBo can be whatever I'm not looking for something fancy.
-CPU I'm looking something a bit above avg.
-8GB of RAM preferred
-1TB of HDD space(unless its just an obnoxious amount)
-GFX card I just want something that's the most bang for my little $, and better than what I have now.
-Sound im not to worried about, as long as i get it
-Networking I would like to go wireless if at all possible due to running a wire would be tedious, however I want to keep the option open for a wire.
-Power supply, typical one that would work with all my components nothing special.
-Cooling, I'm not sure what method other than fans I want to use but I'm open to options.
-Tower I wanna go something from Cooler Master as I am familiar with them and like what they offer.

Current Dell specs:
Intel core2Duo t8300 2.40GHz it's listed 2 times in my device manager as well, so i tihnk i have 2?
NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT however its been failing a lot lately.
4 GB of RAM that I put in myself.
HDD looks like its 285GB and almost full, so I wanna go bigger.

Games I play are, WoW, World of Tanks, Diablo III, Sins of a Solar Empire, Minecraft(biggest issue I have gamewise oddly lol), and some various Steam games. Photo and video editing would be nice If i had the proper hardware storage, and programs.

Anything else I can provide let me know I'm looking to learn not just build. The major thing I was worried about was compatibility if I picked my own parts. I browse newegg, and tiger direct mostly b/c I trust them. Thanks ahead of time for the help.