Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » $700 Budget Computer » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 03, 13 at 8:21amocinom

Hi, I'm planning to build my new computer sometime this month and I would like to know if good enough to go ahead and build from what I have from my budget. I will use this computer for music, gaming, a little bit of photoshop and streaming (hopefully). Basically it will be my entertain computer and I will the computer I have now as a backup incase if anything goes wrong with the new computer.

CPU
Motherboard
Memory
Video Card
Power supply

I would like to hear some suggestions, some changes and anything that help me out. I left out the drives and case because I'm not too sure what case to get. It's under $700 which is good enough for me to last at least 5 years down the road. Also is having a 700W is a overkill for my build?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 04, 13 at 2:26pm
ComputerEd

quote ocinom
Another question. What is SSD. What are the benefits for using them. Should I get one?
An SSD stands for Solid State Drive. This means instead of a mechanical system consisting of a mechanical arm and spinning platters the drive instead uses an all solid state design and memory chips for storage.

The primary benefit od an SSD is the pure, near instant access speed the drive gives. A lot of "enthusiasts" get caught up in the through put capability of the drive, how much data bandwidth it can transfer. This shows a lack of understanding in the ways a computer works.

Most of the time a computer does not read a single large block of data but rather a number of small blocks spread out all over the drive. A traditional drive needs time, known as access time, to move the head and then wait for the data to spin up under the head. And SSD does not have this limitation and so have a seek time that for all practical purposes is instantaneous.

The result is every thing in a computer with an SSD loads faster, the whole system feels snappier and quicker.

The draw back of an SSD is the fact that the construction is more expensive so we end up with smaller capacities than traditional drives but pay more money. I have pointed out on my show and my blog however, numerous times, that the computing suffers from a sever case of hoarding and show that you need a lot less space than most people think they need.

Jan 04, 13 at 1:08pm
Tommy Vercetti

quote ocinom
Another question. What is SSD. What are the benefits for using them. Should I get one?
It's like a HDD but I think it's electrical instead of mechanical. They're pricy but have faster speeds than a regular HDD, at least that's what I think from reading posts around here.

Jan 04, 13 at 11:56am
ocinom

Jan 04, 13 at 8:13am
ComputerEd

quote ocinom
Okay since you linked Newegg I am presuming you are using Newegg. If that is so change the CPU to the i5 3470, you actually get a faster stock chip for $5 less.

The RAM I am torn on because I have had really bad luck over the years with various lesser named brands. My experience has been stick with Kingston Hyper X or Corsair.

For the video card, that is a solid budget card but if you can afford a bump I would move to the 650ti or even to a 660 if you could. However if your budget limits you the choice is good.

As for choosing an AMD processor, you can do fine using them and they do offer a lower cost approach. For 1080 gaming you can use an FX 4170 or 4300 and likely would never tell the difference in your game play from the i5. Put either of those chips with a 970 based motherboard and you have lopped off about $100 from the price and that can be used to move the video card to a 660 for NVidia or a 7850 for AMD to let you get a better overall gaming experience.

In either case talking about the PSU, anything over a 600W is really not needed. Even the 600W is a bit more than you need but gives you headroom.

Jan 03, 13 at 10:20pm
Chris Freeman

You get what you pay for, so with AMD, you get not much.

Jan 03, 13 at 8:00pm
Crusad3r

Intel uses far less power to deliver the same kind of performance, which means that it stays at lower temperatures and is easier to overclock, should you need to do it. That also means it will generally last longer. The turbo feature with intel chips also deliver quite a punch when you're doing something CPU intensive.

For example, AMD's 8 core chip doesn't perform as well as Intel's i7 quad core chip despite having twice as many cores. Admittedly, the differences become smaller as you go down the range, though the heat issue remains.

Jan 03, 13 at 6:56pm
ocinom

Well I have AMD on this computer and I never have a problem with it. I was thinking of getting AMD instead of Intel since it much cheaper. I know there are two different brands but they basically do the same thing, but what make Intel CPU far more superior than AMD CPU? I know it my money and I can get whatever is good for me what I would to hear your opinions on which CPU to get

Jan 03, 13 at 11:18am
Gligar

quote Crusad3r
True but back in 2010, I bought on of the the AMD Phenom's and till this date it hasn't failed on me. Still as fast as the day I bought it. I built the computer on the same purpose as this guy; gaming, browsing, a bit of video editing etc. But i'm not going to argue that AMD is better than Intel since I know intel is far more superior. But the price of the AMD cpus are good and affordable.

Jan 03, 13 at 9:52am
Crusad3r

Get any 3.5" HDD and it'll fit into any regular mid tower ATX case.

You picked out a pretty good CPU and graphics card and a fairly decent mobo. A bit overkill on the power supply, but that's no big deal, since it'll let you upgrade in the future to any more power intensive builds.

Jan 03, 13 at 8:56am
Gligar

Thats an alright build you got there. The PSU isn't a overkill although I'd say at least 600W/650W is enough. As for the cases, you can get whatever case you want but it must be able to fit a ATX motherboard inside it.

Imo, I personally prefer AMD builds as they are cheaper leaving you with money that be could be spent on buying a SSD or upgrading your graphics card even further.