Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Fez » FEZ going multiplatform later this year » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 02, 13 at 3:45pmcromagdude

FEZ going multiplatform later this year

Troy Crumley - Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:45pm (PST) Like Share
No specifics just yet
 Image 1

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 04, 13 at 5:55pm
Lorx

It's been a couple years since I had a programming course, but this should be on-point or close enough to properly illustrate why porting is a thing:
Programs are built on the systems they were made to run on. Those systems, PC, Mac, Xbax400, whatever, all have specific ways they interact with said programs, and specific ways those programs need to be made in order to interact properly. There are some programming languages, like Java, which are more universal, and can run on anything, but when it comes to 99% of video games (aka, not Minecraft), the game actually has to be ported to work on any new system. This is why it's a process, and not a "well it works on an everything".

In short: Remember when we got all of that news from developers saying the PS3 was hard to code for? And how Skyrim's DLC hasn't ever worked on that system because it just won't function right without causing immense lag? That's not developers lying and then going to have a beer, those are actual things.

Jan 03, 13 at 11:36pm
Shadow of Death

quote Blue Neon
I find that porting is so stupid, if the game was coded on a PC surely it can just be compiled for a PC. I don't understand anything about compiling games for different platforms at all - I am still in High School and we don't do a lot of game design in Computing Studies. Definetly going to uni for this though, consoles and porting loses me though - just don't get why it should get ported BACK to PC. If someone could explain that'd be great, don't get me wrong here I understand A LOT about computers. But that is not to say I don't know a lot of things about them :P
I don't know a lot about it myself, but it comes down to how it was coded. The 360 (and PS3) use special languages and have their own platform, and games are designed to work specifically for that platform. There are specific things you have to do to make a game work on a given platform, it's not a simple matter of "Let's save it as a PC game now."

A dev no doubt, would be able to explain it better.

Jan 03, 13 at 6:18pm
Blue Neon

I find that porting is so stupid, if the game was coded on a PC surely it can just be compiled for a PC. I don't understand anything about compiling games for different platforms at all - I am still in High School and we don't do a lot of game design in Computing Studies. Definetly going to uni for this though, consoles and porting loses me though - just don't get why it should get ported BACK to PC. If someone could explain that'd be great, don't get me wrong here I understand A LOT about computers. But that is not to say I don't know a lot of things about them

Jan 03, 13 at 2:01am
xWarriorOfLegendx

Gonna grab this instantly off PSN when it's released.
Been wanting this game since it came out on the 360.
It looks like a real gem

Also: Fezzes are cool ;D
(I'm sorry, it had to be done)

Jan 02, 13 at 11:19pm
Lorx

Sweet, love the footage I've seen of Fez, glad to see it'll (probably) be on a platform I actually own.

Jan 02, 13 at 6:32pm
Peace-Child

Didn't Phil Phish say that "Computers are for spreadsheets" or something, or was I dreaming that?

Jan 02, 13 at 5:35pm
ims2golfer

Didn't look at the title and misread the image. Read it as PEZ(you know, those candy things).
I was shocked

Jan 02, 13 at 4:46pm
THM

Looks like 'Mario' in modified pixel forms...

Jan 02, 13 at 4:15pm
Rabla

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYY =D

Been wanting to try this one forever.

Jan 02, 13 at 3:50pm
Shadow of Death

I will be getting it on PC, personally. A little surprised it wasn't on PC to begin with, but so long as we get a (non-broken) port, I'm good.

PC is more likely than PS3 anyway, since XBLA games are more easily ported to the PC market than other consoles, I think. I find it very likely it'll appear on PS3 as well, and maybe Wii/WiiU?