Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » something is using RAM like crazy on my PC » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 01, 13 at 10:44pmDuncan Idaho

for a good while now i've had an issue that something is using somewhere between 40% to 80% of my 2GB of ram, this at startng the laptop, i only have a small number of programs at start up:

Avast!, comodo fire wall and k-meleon aside the standard printer and the icons of the touchpad, etc, i am monitoring atm the ram and as of this post the ram is 46% with only IE open (i know IE sucks but i went to check a process that is hoggin several hundred thousand of KB's and it was the first thing windows started).

If any one wants pic i will be adding them later today

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 02, 13 at 6:55pm
Duncan Idaho

quote norr
Keep an eye on your browser tabs. In the bottom picture you have 20+ tabs and in the top you also have a decent number. With w/e else you have running and only 2gb of ram that's going to be an issue. Imo use a single browser, then open tabs in the browser while looking at the ram usage until you decide where you're not comfortable with it being past. Keep that number in mind while browsing, while closing off the unneeded tabs. If you really want both Chrome and K-Meleon open at the same time you'll have to sacrifice some tabs.
my issue is that if i try to watch anime on chrome the CPU+RAM usage just goes up, plus since i tend to multi-game i often have several gfaqs pages open, so i had to opt for the middle choice, have specific browsers for stuff (fire fox for DL stuff, opera for personal things, chrome is my main browser, COMODO is for guides and wiki browsing and k-meleon is for anime watching).

The main thing i was overlty concerned is that whenever the spike shows up the fan goes wild too, which is annoying, i've had some CPU spikes that go 100% then to 20% and jumps to 20% before switching to this method, i've double checked and i have no malware or viruses on my laptop, so when i go to check the thing that is eating CPU usage is a process that translated from spanish is more or less inactive process system when has been shown using up to 99% of CPU, that along the ram usage has me worried, for example atm my laptop just came out of an hibernation process the fan is quiet while it's usage is of 1,40 GB of ram.

Jan 02, 13 at 3:06pm
norr

Keep an eye on your browser tabs. In the bottom picture you have 20+ tabs and in the top you also have a decent number. With w/e else you have running and only 2gb of ram that's going to be an issue. Imo use a single browser, then open tabs in the browser while looking at the ram usage until you decide where you're not comfortable with it being past. Keep that number in mind while browsing, while closing off the unneeded tabs. If you really want both Chrome and K-Meleon open at the same time you'll have to sacrifice some tabs.

Jan 02, 13 at 8:22am
Duncan Idaho

quote harbin
If you open Task Manager, click the 'Processes' tab, then find 'select columns' underneath the 'Options Menu' and select the 'Memory Private Working Set' box, then you'll be able to see roughly what program is using what amount of memory.
all i've done atm is go to task manager > Resources monitor, i dont find anything to do with memory private workking set in the options menu.

The ram use also just spiked 94% when i opened chrome, and i usually have K-meleon and chrome open, the CPU usage is always low but the RAM as off lateley spikes.

watch from bottom to top

Jan 02, 13 at 5:21am
harbin

If you open Task Manager, click the 'Processes' tab, then find 'select columns' underneath the 'Options Menu' and select the 'Memory Private Working Set' box, then you'll be able to see roughly what program is using what amount of memory.

Jan 02, 13 at 5:00am
Ren of Heavens

That sounds about normal, assuming it's a Windows Vista/7 machine.

Jan 01, 13 at 10:44pm
Duncan Idaho

for a good while now i've had an issue that something is using somewhere between 40% to 80% of my 2GB of ram, this at startng the laptop, i only have a small number of programs at start up:

Avast!, comodo fire wall and k-meleon aside the standard printer and the icons of the touchpad, etc, i am monitoring atm the ram and as of this post the ram is 46% with only IE open (i know IE sucks but i went to check a process that is hoggin several hundred thousand of KB's and it was the first thing windows started).

If any one wants pic i will be adding them later today