Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Laptop recommendation » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 01, 13 at 1:43pmLazzara

Not sure if there's any forum specifically for laptop, so I'm just gonna try my luck here.

Basically, I'm looking for a new laptop. I'm probably not gonna buy it 'till summer, so I've got plenty of time to do my research.

I need something reliable. So here's a few things that I'm looking for in a laptop

- My current one is usually one for about 12 hours a day (plugged in, of course), so I'm looking for something that is capable of being turned on for a while.
- Something that I can play games with. I've had the current laptop for almost 4 years, and I was able to play fallout: new vegas and older games (albeit at low quality). Don't really care about the graphic quality really, as long as it doesn't distract me from enjoying the game.
- Blu-ray player (optional)
- Detachable (not sure if it's even possible lol)

My budget is probably about $1,500 at most.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 03, 13 at 10:22pm
Chris Freeman

I reckon an Ultrabook is the way to go.

Jan 03, 13 at 8:17pm
Crusad3r

I do believe there's an i7 version for the L850 clocked at 2.2ghz turbo to 3.2. That would bring better performance than the Asus since it's got a dedicated graphics card. Cheaper too

Jan 03, 13 at 6:50pm
walnuts

quote Lazzara
quote walnuts
An Ultrabook is a strict guideline set by Intel, who have developed it to rival tablets. They're designed to be extremely powerful, extremely light and extremely fashionable laptops. Wikipedia gives an overview over the types of conditions that Ultrabooks need to have. They generally possess the most powerful Intel chip of the time, and so are generally excellent in terms of performance (however, some manufacturers are better than others).
What's the downside of it?
-No disc drive
-Expensive
-Varying build quality between manufacturer's (then again, I suppose that is the same for anything really)
-Not suited to hardcore gaming

Other than that, if you can afford it, I reckon an Ultrabook is the way to go.

Jan 03, 13 at 6:44pm
Lazzara

quote walnuts
An Ultrabook is a strict guideline set by Intel, who have developed it to rival tablets. They're designed to be extremely powerful, extremely light and extremely fashionable laptops. Wikipedia gives an overview over the types of conditions that Ultrabooks need to have. They generally possess the most powerful Intel chip of the time, and so are generally excellent in terms of performance (however, some manufacturers are better than others).
What's the downside of it?

Jan 03, 13 at 6:42pm
walnuts

quote Lazzara
quote walnuts
Have you thought about an ultrabook Lazzara? I bought an ASUS UX31A about 6 months ago and it is fantastic. Will have pretty flash processors, and whilst most of them have inbuilt graphics, they will be more than enough for your needs (they're capable of playing HD video perfectly, so playing games at medium to high settings should be fine with most games). Also come with SSD's which are more stable, especially if you intend to move the laptop whilst it is on.

Only downside is that most of them don't have any sort of DVD/Blu-ray drive at all, so you would probably need to keep your old laptop nearby to get stuff off CD's/DVD's - or buy a USB Blu-ray drive and plug it in when you need it.

For a budget of $1500 you should be able to get yourself a top of the line Ultrabook which should last you for a good couple of years.

What's the difference between an ultra book and a regular laptop? I'm not too savvy when it comes to laptop lol.

I don't really need DVD/Blu-ray drive considering I haven't used mine in a while- though I suppose it's handy when I need to install programs w/ disks or watch dvds and whatnot. But surely USB Blu-ray drive would be god enough?

Jan 03, 13 at 6:34pm
Lazzara

quote walnuts
Have you thought about an ultrabook Lazzara? I bought an ASUS UX31A about 6 months ago and it is fantastic. Will have pretty flash processors, and whilst most of them have inbuilt graphics, they will be more than enough for your needs (they're capable of playing HD video perfectly, so playing games at medium to high settings should be fine with most games). Also come with SSD's which are more stable, especially if you intend to move the laptop whilst it is on.

Only downside is that most of them don't have any sort of DVD/Blu-ray drive at all, so you would probably need to keep your old laptop nearby to get stuff off CD's/DVD's - or buy a USB Blu-ray drive and plug it in when you need it.

For a budget of $1500 you should be able to get yourself a top of the line Ultrabook which should last you for a good couple of years.

What's the difference between an ultra book and a regular laptop? I'm not too savvy when it comes to laptop lol.

I don't really need DVD/Blu-ray drive considering I haven't used mine in a while- though I suppose it's handy when I need to install programs w/ disks or watch dvds and whatnot. But surely USB Blu-ray drive would be god enough?

Jan 03, 13 at 6:12pm
walnuts

Jan 02, 13 at 5:51pm
Lazzara

i go to college overseas, and i travel a lot as well. a laptop is more mobile than having a desktop lol. i know i could've built a PC with lesser price than that, but i need something that i can carry around.

i had a toshiba 5 years ago, not sure if i'm keen on trying a toshiba again. but it fits the requirement, and it's pretty cheap as well.

Jan 02, 13 at 10:33am
Crusad3r

A Toshiba Satellite L850 looks pretty good.

Any particular reason against a desktop? Or you just want the mobility? Since you have it plugged in all the time, why not get a desktop?

Jan 01, 13 at 1:43pm
Lazzara

Not sure if there's any forum specifically for laptop, so I'm just gonna try my luck here.

Basically, I'm looking for a new laptop. I'm probably not gonna buy it 'till summer, so I've got plenty of time to do my research.

I need something reliable. So here's a few things that I'm looking for in a laptop

- My current one is usually one for about 12 hours a day (plugged in, of course), so I'm looking for something that is capable of being turned on for a while.
- Something that I can play games with. I've had the current laptop for almost 4 years, and I was able to play fallout: new vegas and older games (albeit at low quality). Don't really care about the graphic quality really, as long as it doesn't distract me from enjoying the game.
- Blu-ray player (optional)
- Detachable (not sure if it's even possible lol)

My budget is probably about $1,500 at most.