Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Help me build a gaming desktop from best buy. » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Dec 30, 12 at 6:53ammcizzles

Hi guys I am new to the forum and to building pcs. I am a big fan of MMOs and rpgs, such as GW2, diablo III, dark souls and sims 3. I have always used my outdated laptop from 2008 to play these games and recently tried to play it on my friends desktop and damn, I cant believe Ive been using my laptop like that lol. I want to use my best buy credit card as I also have a bunch of gift cards from bb that are soon to expire.

I do not have any peripherals(monitor, keyboard, mouse). My maximum budget will be 2000$. And hopefully be able to play these games and games coming out in the next 3-5yrs.

For now, I am thinking of an i5 processor, a nvidia 670 gtx vc, asus g77 mobo, and the switch 810 case. But I need help and want others experience and ideas as I want to use my budget wisely and not just buy whatever I see is good. And I want to top whatever my bf is making so please help me! Thanks

PS: also open to spending around 300 from other websites such as newegg for some cool peripherals. But hopefully get most of my stuff from BB.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 13, 13 at 6:02am
Arjy

quote Crusad3r
Photoshop (Final Cut is MacOS), yes I would put it on the SSD. iTunes takes half a second to open on my 7200rpm computer. As does any MS office program. I wouldn't notice a difference at all.
Interesting, iTunes and Office take 10-15 seconds on my computer...well congratulations on your load times haha for me I'd really notice a speed boost by putting on an SSD

Jan 13, 13 at 5:29am
Crusad3r

Photoshop (Final Cut is MacOS), yes I would put it on the SSD. iTunes takes half a second to open on my 7200rpm computer. As does any MS office program. I wouldn't notice a difference at all.

Jan 13, 13 at 4:50am
Arjy

quote Crusad3r
quote Arjy
quote Crusad3r
128gb would be a good sized SSD.
You reckon thats enough space to fit OS and programs on?
A SSD isn't for putting daily programs on. You won't notice a difference in loading time at all with your average program. It's only for OS and some games.
Gotta disagree with you there, having Photoshop, Final Cut, MS Office, even iTunes makes a world of difference to the feel of your computer. Any one of these programs takes 10-15 seconds to open on your typical 7200RPM drive but open almost instantaneously on an SSD. Makes a huge difference to the feel of your computer day to day.

Jan 12, 13 at 8:49pm
Crusad3r

quote Arjy
quote Crusad3r
A SSD isn't for putting daily programs on. You won't notice a difference in loading time at all with your average program. It's only for OS and some games.

Jan 12, 13 at 6:29pm
Arjy

quote Crusad3r

Jan 11, 13 at 3:33am
Smok3Dogg

quote mcizzles
Thanks for the input im looking at a logitech mouse. I need inputs about Ssds would a 128gb sufficient?
The OCZ Vector 128gb is a good choice.

ocz vector

Jan 11, 13 at 2:58am
Crusad3r

Jan 10, 13 at 4:55pm
mcizzles

Thanks for the input im looking at a logitech mouse. I need inputs about Ssds would a 128gb sufficient?

Jan 06, 13 at 5:58pm
Shadow of Death

quote mcizzles
hi guys here is an update. I made list, what do you think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vEQk
Well, I don't see anything wrong with that....But you MIGHT want to jump up to a 680, since you still have a good $500 in your budget to work with. Also, if you jump up to about an 800+ Wattage 80+ certified PSU, you could eventually get a second 680 a year or two down the line when they're cheaper, and extend your gaming performance further (from what I've read, the 600 series SLIs rather nicely).

Also, don't forget about a mouse. Any non-shitty mouse will work, but some brands test reliably. Razer is one such brand. I use a Lachesis 5600, but a lower end model would be just fine (I don't even use 5600 DPI setting myself, but rather 1800 XD). I think Microsoft has some decent mice, actually.

Jan 06, 13 at 5:46pm
appleexpress

thx