Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Ram Question » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 28, 12 at 1:44pmUnbeaten

I got a new mac. I love this mac. I would like to keep this mac for a long time. The problem is, like with all computers, it will eventually get slow. Since it is an expensive laptop, I don't want it to be *bleep*ing slow as a turtle in 3 years and have to get a new one.

My question is, will adding more ram boost it back up to normal once it gets slow? Sorry if this is a retard question, I'm not good with this stuff.

Also, if ram won't do the trick, is there anything I can do that will 100% work?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 30, 12 at 12:33am
mulinjohe

AFAIK Macs generally don't differ much between different editions and upgrades might not be required unless you are sure it really makes a difference to upgrade.

Dec 29, 12 at 10:29am
krausers_nightmare

quote Gligar
quote Crusad3r
Your second mistake is getting a mac.
You just made my day

Anyways, to me it sounds like you have bloatwares. Its basically full/free-trial softwares that came with your laptop the first time you bought it. Normally, people tend to leave these on their computers/laptops. I'd recommend un-installing ANY programs that you dont use.
Also, since you say you use your laptop for homework and internet browsing, I'll say theres a high chance that you probably have a virus and/or malware since a laptop with 4gigs of RAM generally doesn't go slow if you use it solely for that purpose. Download a AV (e.g. Avast) and malwarebytes and check for virsus/malware.
I think he's trying to prevent future slowdown, not a current issue.

And I think getting a mac was the FIRST mistake.

Dec 29, 12 at 8:09am
Gligar

quote Crusad3r
Your second mistake is getting a mac.
You just made my day

Anyways, to me it sounds like you have bloatwares. Its basically full/free-trial softwares that came with your laptop the first time you bought it. Normally, people tend to leave these on their computers/laptops. I'd recommend un-installing ANY programs that you dont use.
Also, since you say you use your laptop for homework and internet browsing, I'll say theres a high chance that you probably have a virus and/or malware since a laptop with 4gigs of RAM generally doesn't go slow if you use it solely for that purpose. Download a AV (e.g. Avast) and malwarebytes and check for virsus/malware.

Dec 29, 12 at 6:30am
Crusad3r

quote Unbeaten
I got a new mac. I love this mac. I would like to keep this mac for a long time. The problem is, like with all computers, it will eventually get slow. Since it is an expensive laptop, I don't want it to be *bleep*ing slow as a turtle in 3 years and have to get a new one.

My question is, will adding more ram boost it back up to normal once it gets slow? Sorry if this is a retard question, I'm not good with this stuff.

Also, if ram won't do the trick, is there anything I can do that will 100% work?
Ok, here's my opinion on the topic (as in, take it with a grain of salt)

First off, your first mistake is getting a laptop. Your second mistake is getting a mac.

Upgrades with desktop PCs are extremely easy, bit harder for a regular laptop (have to find a specific part that is 100% compatible, bit tricky with all these manufacturers), and even harder for a mac (most of them can't get upgraded as they are a closed system).

If you are looking for a powerful daily computer to use, the best option is to get a desktop, for both performance and cost efficiency. You should never purchase an expensive laptop since in 3-5 years, it becomes a very expensive paperweight.

In short, even if you stick more RAM in it, it won't change the fact that your CPU will be outdated and will run "heavy" programs (such as final cut) 3-4 years from now like a slug, even WITH extreme care and regular maintenance.

Macs use the same hardware as other laptops. You're paying double or triple the price of an equivalent laptop for a brand name. Big, big mistake.

Dec 28, 12 at 2:56pm
krausers_nightmare

quote Unbeaten
quote krausers_nightmare
No I'm not saying don't put movies and music on your computer, I'm saying don't stuff it with BS software that garbles up your resources.

For example, programs will piggyback on other installations when you try to install them and if you aren't careful when you install the program that you actually want, you'll get about 3 or 4 others as well. Today I downloaded the new version of Core Temp and the install also cam with other programs like google toolbar and some 'internet security' programs. They're all garbage and just take up space on my computer and eat up my resources.
Oh, I see. So, just to clarify a bit more, the things that slow your computer down are the things that use your resources up, not things like music and videos that can be played on a program that is pre-installed on your computer?
Right or players that you download. Music wont slow your computer down, having 4,000 toolbars on your browser will. Or if you're ridiculous like my wife and allow massive amounts of spyware and adware on your computer, that will slow it down too.

Dec 28, 12 at 2:53pm
Unbeaten

quote krausers_nightmare
No I'm not saying don't put movies and music on your computer, I'm saying don't stuff it with BS software that garbles up your resources.

For example, programs will piggyback on other installations when you try to install them and if you aren't careful when you install the program that you actually want, you'll get about 3 or 4 others as well. Today I downloaded the new version of Core Temp and the install also cam with other programs like google toolbar and some 'internet security' programs. They're all garbage and just take up space on my computer and eat up my resources.
Oh, I see. So, just to clarify a bit more, the things that slow your computer down are the things that use your resources up, not things like music and videos that can be played on a program that is pre-installed on your computer?

Dec 28, 12 at 2:26pm
krausers_nightmare

Dec 28, 12 at 2:23pm
Unbeaten

quote harbin
Depends. How much RAM have you got ATM and what do you use your Mac for? RAM doesn't really make a computer more responsive unless you heavily multitask and run programs that need alot of it.

Things that will affect speed of computers are usually CPUs. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to upgrade Macs and Macbooks. You might need to ask an Apple rep about upgrades, although I think they do them instore for a higher price.

However, AFAIK Macs generally don't differ much between different editions and upgrades might not be required unless you are sure it really makes a difference to upgrade.
I do no gaming on this laptop. The only things I use it for are downloading quite a bit of music, and the occasional video. I also use it for homework, and general internet browsing. It has 4 gigs of RAM.

Dec 28, 12 at 2:21pm
harbin

Depends. How much RAM have you got ATM and what do you use your Mac for? RAM doesn't really make a computer more responsive unless you heavily multitask and run programs that need alot of it.

Things that will affect speed of computers are usually CPUs. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to upgrade Macs and Macbooks. You might need to ask an Apple rep about upgrades, although I think they do them instore for a higher price.

However, AFAIK Macs generally don't differ much between different editions and upgrades might not be required unless you are sure it really makes a difference to upgrade.

Dec 28, 12 at 2:18pm
Unbeaten

quote krausers_nightmare
There is a common misconception that in a year or two, your computer will be operating at a snails pace and you'll be forced to get a new one. Up until my recent upgrade, I used my previous computer for four years and it worked just as fast as the day I built it. Granted it wouldn't run the newest games at the highest settings, but as far as everything else goes, it ran just the same.

Upgrading your ram will help, but keeping your computer clean (keeping out the viruses, adware, malware, etc) and not putting a load of useless bloatware on your system will keep it running fresh.

Do some light periodic maintenance on it, like dusting it out. If components inside a laptop get clogged up with dust and other crap, they will overheat, thus starting a process of performance degradation.

I don't know if they gave you an OS disc with your mac, but sometimes backing up your files and reformatting and doing a clean install of your OS helps too.
So basically I can't download music and videos and stuff, unless I want my laptop to be slow? That's horseshit...

So you're saying the more space taken up on the hard-drive, the slower the laptop runs?