Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Second build through Neo » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Dec 21, 12 at 7:43pmShirzen

I recently built my previous posted setup. It runs fantastic, and I've had my fair share of gaming so far. No pictures, simply because I just moved and can't be bothered to break it open again. I'm looking for advice again though, because I'm trying to build a second desktop of equal (or slightly less) power for less.

HDD
Monitor
MoBo
Wireless Adapter
GPU
Disk Drive
PSU
RAM
CPU
USB to 20pin

My last build was all Intel and thus very simple for me to understand. This time, I aimed for AMD and I might have made some mistakes. I'd appreciate a compatibility check, and maybe some advice. I linked the wireless card because I forgot it in my last build and I'd like to know if it's as simple as plugging it in universally. The USB to 20pin is because I'm told that this case has poor cable management for the front USB. Would it solve the problem and let me connect it to the MoBo?

Thanks for any help!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 08, 13 at 10:27am
Shirzen

I hate to resurrect an old problem, but I never got back to this thread and the problem got worse while I was gone. I replaced the PSU with a 700w, and the card ran spectacularly for about 20 minutes. No artifacts, no red squares and lines all over the screen... then the computer crashed again. I got in contact with ASUS to try and RMA the card, but I still don't understand why the computer is unable to even start anymore. Sometimes, it reaches the login screen and then throws a fit and dies. Mostly, I get a boot screen followed by a blue screen with a jumble of incomprehensible lettering, but that only lasts for half a second. When it manages to boot all the way up, it's never long before the computer either has a graphics seizure or shuts itself down.

Is the graphics card really the problem? If I replace this card, will the problem persist? I don't feel like I'm addressing the issue correctly and I don't want to waste time and money if someone knows the answer. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jan 02, 13 at 3:58pm
aaron6581230

What kind of case do you have? And what kind of temperatures are you running when the game runs? Your graphics card shouldn't run too hot (around 70-80 degrees at load is normal)

I'm thinking it may be a memory problem. Try using memtest86 on all of your RAM sticks for a couple hours.

Dec 30, 12 at 9:00pm
Crusad3r

Ok, so it definitely is your GPU.

If I were you, I'd send it back and get a GPU with 2 fans on it

Dec 30, 12 at 6:26pm
Shirzen

The cinematic runs without the GPU, although it also runs with the GPU at a low quality setting and with the fan on very high. If I set the graphics any higher, the GPU heats up like crazy and then the screen starts glitching out and she dies.

Dec 29, 12 at 10:16pm
Crusad3r

Again, try removing the GPU and seeing if the cinematic works. We'll know for sure then which problem it is.

Dec 29, 12 at 9:29pm
Shirzen

I had the GPU and the PSU nearly side by side, although the PSU vents downward (curious as it may be), and the GPU draws in towards it. The way I saw it, the PSU was heating up and the GPU was drawing in heat from the PSU. When I checked the GPU's heat, it was fluctuating between 35 degrees and 65 degrees Celsius. Any time a cinematic or highly intensive scene appeared, the GPU would heat up really quick and the computer would instantly turn off without warning. I'm not certain about all this, it's mostly novice detective work at best. I noticed the fan for the GPU never sped up when the heat rose. I adjusted a setting to allow the fan to increase speed in correlation with the heat, and she steadied out at 51 degrees Celsius. Even so, this is only with graphics at Fair or Medium setting. I had planned on this build playing ultra settings.

If what you suggest is true, then my only solution is either a new chipset or a new PSU? I don't think I can get a refund on either of them, and I had hoped this build would be sustainable. I have an i5 in my other setup, but couldn't afford the Intel version this time around.

Thanks for the reply, I've been alone dealing with this so far.

Dec 29, 12 at 6:19am
Crusad3r

Woah, I must've missed this

It certainly is your PSU. While it can take your CPU individually just fine and it can take your GPU individually just fine, your CPU is very inefficient and draws a lot of power for very little performance (in comparison), it probably just shuts down the PSU to protect from any power surges.

That is just my hypothesis though. To test for this, remove your GPU and try run the cinematic again and see if it shuts down the computer.

Recent developments by Intel has led most of us Seekers to recommend Intel chips over AMD chips because of the price vs performance differences, with Intel ahead by a HUGE gap. Massive apologies for not catching this earlier

Dec 29, 12 at 12:39am
Shirzen

I had a thought that it might be the power supply perhaps. I have a 550w PSU in the build and I've been reassured multiple times that it's enough... but I can't think of another reason the computer would shut down so suddenly when a cinematic comes on super ultra graphics.

Dec 29, 12 at 12:34am
Shirzen

I never got any input on this so I built the computer with my best knowledge. It runs fine and all, but when I play certain games, the cinematics can cause the computer to shut down without warning.

Where did I go wrong, or what is happening? No error codes or anything show up so I'm lost as to what I can do to fix this.

Dec 21, 12 at 7:43pm
Shirzen

I recently built my previous posted setup. It runs fantastic, and I've had my fair share of gaming so far. No pictures, simply because I just moved and can't be bothered to break it open again. I'm looking for advice again though, because I'm trying to build a second desktop of equal (or slightly less) power for less.

HDD
Monitor
MoBo
Wireless Adapter
GPU
Disk Drive
PSU
RAM
CPU
USB to 20pin

My last build was all Intel and thus very simple for me to understand. This time, I aimed for AMD and I might have made some mistakes. I'd appreciate a compatibility check, and maybe some advice. I linked the wireless card because I forgot it in my last build and I'd like to know if it's as simple as plugging it in universally. The USB to 20pin is because I'm told that this case has poor cable management for the front USB. Would it solve the problem and let me connect it to the MoBo?

Thanks for any help!