Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Office 2013 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 16, 12 at 6:58pmwalnuts

So, has anyone here got their hands on Office 2013 yet? If so, what do you think? Is it an imporvement, or is it not your style?

We just got it here at work, and I must say, it is...interesting. Certainly more visually appealing and I haven't found any performance issues as of yet (in fact, it is much faster and slicker in my subjective opinion) so yeah, it appears to be pretty good. The option to save directly in to your SkyDrive is also very appealing (and with 7GB of free storage, why wouldn't you!?!).

I don't like the fact they got rid of the picture editor...it was perfect for quickly editing and cropping pictures before sharing them with friends, but they removed it from the Office suite

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 21, 13 at 2:38am
Nagare

Yeah, I grabbed the Professional Plus version for a nice $10, but sadly that deal has been over for a few days. The installer also works for installation on two PCs, not just one.

So far, it is pretty much exactly the same as Office 2010 in my eyes, just with caps lock ribbon titles and some nice animations. The overall aesthetic (other than caps lock ribbon titles) looks pretty nice to me.

Jan 21, 13 at 9:18am
harbin

quote Northern49
How are you getting it for that price?

The $140 Office 2013 Home and Student version includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. The $220 Home & Business edition adds Outlook, and the $400 Office 2013 Professional package throws in Publisher and Access. Not only are those prices a bit higher than for comparable versions of Office 2010, but they also cover just one installation--and Microsoft isn't going to offer discounted prices for multiple stand-alone installations. (Right now, for example, you can still get a three-license version of Home and Student 2010 for $150, or only $30 more than a single-license copy.)
There was a deal on that Nagare kindly linked to. Not sure if the code is still active but apparently a Hotmail account and a programme code got me Office Professional Plus for £8. Was Microsoft's Home Use Programme. Don't think they were meant to let me have it but the code worked so technically I was eligible.

AFAIK not even out on general retail yet but hey I have the program and it works completely fine. I assure you, there is nothing illegal here officer.

It's a bigger gaffe than Adobe putting up CS2 Master Collection and a bunch of keys on their website for people to download with notice that it ain't meant to be for them.

Jan 21, 13 at 8:31am
Northern49

How are you getting it for that price?

The $140 Office 2013 Home and Student version includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. The $220 Home & Business edition adds Outlook, and the $400 Office 2013 Professional package throws in Publisher and Access. Not only are those prices a bit higher than for comparable versions of Office 2010, but they also cover just one installation--and Microsoft isn't going to offer discounted prices for multiple stand-alone installations. (Right now, for example, you can still get a three-license version of Home and Student 2010 for $150, or only $30 more than a single-license copy.)

Jan 19, 13 at 3:34pm
harbin

^ Not when you get it for £8 it ain't.

Jan 19, 13 at 2:18pm
Northern49

I'd still rely on Google Docs more than anything. Office has a lot of great features, but its more than what I think most people need, especially if its a product and service you need to pay for.

Jan 05, 13 at 10:14pm
Devon123

Hi, Office 2013 goes Modern, syncs to the cloud and adds various useful new features. It create attractive auction listing easily. Microsoft's refreshed their productivity suite sports a major design.

Dec 17, 12 at 7:46pm
walnuts

quote harbin
It gives you the option of signing in with your Outlook/Hotmail account so I assume you can save it to the Skydrive, download a local copy and a background service will sync them. From what I understand Office 365 is an online, cloud hoested one probably like Google Docs.
Ah ok, gotchya. In that case, looks like it is enabled automatically in the background. Just sign in with your Outlook account and BAM, all setup. Great functionality, potentially very awesome for the student (university or otherwise) that is moving around a lot, and it is all saved in the cloud.

Dec 17, 12 at 5:49pm
harbin

It gives you the option of signing in with your Outlook/Hotmail account so I assume you can save it to the Skydrive, download a local copy and a background service will sync them. From what I understand Office 365 is an online, cloud hoested one probably like Google Docs.

Dec 17, 12 at 2:18pm
walnuts

quote Aurora
I haven't looked into it in great detail, harbin, but as far as I know, you can still buy Office 2013 separately, but you get it alongside (some?) Office 365 (that's the cloud service) subscriptions as well.
I've seen that installed alongside my copy, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet, or if it's just enabled automatically in the background or something. Don't know, but it's certainly installed on my system with the rest of the Office suite.

Dec 17, 12 at 1:22pm
Aurora

I haven't looked into it in great detail, harbin, but as far as I know, you can still buy Office 2013 separately, but you get it alongside (some?) Office 365 (that's the cloud service) subscriptions as well.