Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Guild Wars 2 » Guild Wars 2 Wintersday celebration officially kicks off, Lion's Arch now a winter wonderland » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Dec 14, 12 at 6:37pmRabidChinaGirl

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 21, 12 at 3:30pm
Lorx

It also has a lot to do with conveyance. That feeling of "So...I hit level 80, now what?". There are things to do, but it's not conveyed to the player as possibilities very well. Thumbing through achievements, especially monthlys, is the only way GW2 really...tells the player what's available.

Dec 21, 12 at 2:39pm
LloydToS

Rey I think that's one of the things, people on MMO's tend to.. not seem to like the game itself but more the rewards they get for playing. It might be due to the way the games are set up but this is what alot of people bumped into that came from the classic MMO setup, thus causing the 'no endgame?11!!' complaints.

Dec 21, 12 at 2:16pm
Rey

Marc i heard Rift is a good game for what you're looking for. They don't even try to hide the fact its a wow clone but its a good one at least.

This is what games are lacking nowadays, its all cutscenes being shoved down your throat or kill X amount of boars daily quests or auto queing yourself for pvp/pve combat.
None of this apply to Guild Wars 2. Well, none of your posts actually sounds like GW2. Isn't this what wow and l2 offer?

L2 where forming groups and raiding enemy territories where entirely up to the community. The gameplay itself involved social interaction and even a little bit of imagination to keep yourself busy in the game.
Never played wow because i was a Lineage2 fanboy so i can relate on that, the game pvp was amazing but WvW is pretty much the system of castle sieges in l2.

completing a tough dungeon was something to be proud of.
I'm guessing you never done any dungeons in gw2.

Thats great, now its time to release an actual endgame.
Just because there is no grinding / pvping for better stats, it doesn't mean there is no endgame.
I still have plenty to do even if i reached lvl 80 in the first week.
Also, the monthly one time events works on keeping me ingame.

Dec 20, 12 at 12:52pm
Marc

GW2 didn't sell itself as a WoW clone but rather quite the opposite. I miss the days of vanilla WoW world PvP and even early L2 where forming groups and raiding enemy territories where entirely up to the community. The gameplay itself involved social interaction and even a little bit of imagination to keep yourself busy in the game. Venturing off into alliance territory was extremely fun or even having the satisfaction of forming a group and completing a tough dungeon was something to be proud of. This is what games are lacking nowadays, its all cutscenes being shoved down your throat or kill X amount of boars daily quests or auto queing yourself for pvp/pve combat.

Dec 20, 12 at 3:09am
LloydToS

While I enjoy Guild Wars 2 alot and they did improve combat compared to other games (although in simplified version). I agree with Marc that currently there are still no MMO's with true action combat such as Dishonored, Skyrim, Zelda.. etc. If that's what you're referring to, I am also looking forward to the day such games are made. There are still an endless amount of games that could appear on the market.

Dec 19, 12 at 9:46pm
Lorx

quote Marc
quote Lorx
No matter where you go, somebody will always be complaining that the game isn't a clone of whatever their favorite game was.
I'm actually not happy with the current state of the MMO genre. Somebody needs to break the quest and spellbar spam combat mold. I am currently in the search for something groundbreaking and I don't think GW2 satisfied that for me.
FPS MMO:
  • Planetside 2
  • Firefall
  • APB Reloaded
RPG MMO:
  • EVE Online
  • Vindictus
  • Spiral Knights
All of these feature persistent worlds, mass player play, etc, or at least do so in towns, and then dungeon crawl from there. Aka GW1 style. If you want, I can find others that aren't just pulled from my installed games list on Steam. There's also the less-MMO style games that feature lobbys but are fully online, such as MOBA games like Dota2, or dungeon crawlers like Torchlight II, Diablo III, etc. If you want something really super different, there's always the option of dabbling in some retro or 2D MMO games. Realm of the Mad God is a freebie on Steam that's good for wasting time, Maple Story and it's billion clones are always an option as well.

If you look in the direction of WoW Clones and constantly find WoW clones, then yeah, the MMO market will look really stagnant and similar.

Dec 19, 12 at 6:07pm
Marc

quote Lorx
No matter where you go, somebody will always be complaining that the game isn't a clone of whatever their favorite game was.
I'm actually not happy with the current state of the MMO genre. Somebody needs to break the quest and spellbar spam combat mold. I am currently in the search for something groundbreaking and I don't think GW2 satisfied that for me.

Dec 19, 12 at 3:33am
Abyss Raider

Wow I can't believe how much hate GW2 is getting here, geez. I thoroughly enjoy the game. On that mention, I wish my updates would get done so I can check this out. Balancing between Wintersday and Kwismas Island is going to be hard. I thought it'd be good to have two amazing MMOs to play... It's turning against me in the long run, though.

Dec 16, 12 at 11:26pm
Lorx

quote Marc
It has everything any other raiding MMO just less content and broken promises.
  1. Not a raiding MMO
  2. By design, cannot be a raiding MMO
If you want a raiding MMO, nobody is stopping you from playing one of them instead. There is certainly enough of them to choose from. WoW, F2P versions of WoW, full price re-releases of WoW by other companies, Lord of the Rings WoW, certainly many different flavors you can try out to your hearts content. If you need a recommendation, WoW Rift is pretty good, had some solid ideas and updates often. Official forum was a giant whine-fest, but I suppose that's par for the course. No matter where you go, somebody will always be complaining that the game isn't a clone of whatever their favorite game was. Which gets really funny once you get used to the silly comments that your MMO of choice gets because they're always the same. Especially when the comments are simply because it's not set up in a way they're used to. Like GW2 and end-game content whining, which it has, the game just has really bad conveyance, which is something that should improve over time. Seems to be a problem with quite a few MMOs on release, always gets patched up nicely though. Seen a few games hook it into daily & weekly quests, to hold the player's hand with quest markers and show them where things are. Works out really well.

Anyway, long story short, if you need help finding an MMO that is your style, could certainly help recommend some to you.

Dec 16, 12 at 9:15pm
Marc

quote Lorx
Lost Shores was pretty good Abyss Raider, I skipped out on a decent amount of Halloween personally, and participating in the LS event made me regret that I passed it up. Definitely going to be taking full advantage of this event.

Seems like Anet is experimenting and learning a lot with each passing event. Didn't see a single mention for the Wintersday event so far that could turn into the immense lagfest that LS's finale was.

quote Marc
Now that they have a fully functioning gear treadmill, what makes this game different from other MMOs aside from the fact it has less content?

B-but holiday events are content.
Sorry, but I don't see where I mentioned gear at all in my response to your post. Treadmills or otherwise.

It has everything any other raiding MMO just less content and broken promises.