Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » PC Games and Steam » Steam Community Market enters beta, lets community buy and sell with real money » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Neoseeker does not support warez of any kind. Any request for CD keys will be deleted or closed on sight, regardless of the situation. Thank you

hideOriginal Post

Dec 12, 12 at 1:04pmRabidChinaGirl

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 13, 12 at 9:52am
Blue Neon

Meh, I have a strong dislike for most of the f2p, MMOs that are pay-to-buy-no-subscription are fine though - I have had TF2 since The Orange Box released. Ever since it went f2p it just hasn't been the same as it used to.

Dec 13, 12 at 7:09am
S-I-E

ah, finally a useful way to get rid of all those crates.
i'll just put them out of the inventory and straight onto the market for a cent or two and let that place do the rest.

who cares if i just got 5 cents per year for it.

Dec 12, 12 at 4:56pm
BlackLabel

quote GLaDOS
I'm not exactly sure what Team Fortress 2 has evolved into at this point.
Not complaining, though.
I really think at this point Team Fortress is a vehicle for Valve's social experiments. They introduced hats to observe how obsessive certain players got about having them all. They introduced loot drops while allowing players to buy items and keys to unlock chests, to see if players truly would. Now they are seeing if players will actually buy something another player found in a game with real money. Granted they could have just observed Diablo 3 for this one, but I guess it's easier to observe the raw sales figures when it's happening in your game.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:55pm
Lorx

This is very relevant;

quote Megamaster37
quote Lorx
Wow, look at dem prices, three pennies for a key right now. They're what, $2.50 normally?
Site says $1.72 now, must've updated. I think thats actually higher than people where buying them for on paypal before they started this.

And an addition to your comment on 'rarity', the hats you see going for real money are normally of Unusual quality, which can have prices ranging from $10 to $200+ based on hat and effect, and Buds, which are currently hovering around $32 each.
So yeah, vanity. Nothing to worry about unless somebody here is like, an investor of hats and assorted hat related goods.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:49pm
Megamaster37

quote Lorx
Wow, look at dem prices, three pennies for a key right now. They're what, $2.50 normally?
Site says $1.72 now, must've updated. I think thats actually higher than people where buying them for on paypal before they started this.

And an addition to your comment on 'rarity', the hats you see going for real money are normally of Unusual quality, which can have prices ranging from $10 to $200+ based on hat and effect, and Buds, which are currently hovering around $32 each.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:33pm
Lorx

iirc the setup was (is?):
  • Vintage rarity is old, not available in shops or drops
  • Genuine rarity is stuff from events/game release freebies
  • Shop has every item in the game, but only at "normal" rarity
  • Any other rarity is drop/crate only
Rarity having nothing to do with power, just straight up vanity. So, pretty much whatever.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:27pm
harbin

quote Lorx
quote harbin
Bit mixed about this, especially since it could lead to the best items being available only for those who pay for them.
Doesn't the shop already have every item anyway, you just can't pick out different "rarities" (vintage or whatever)? I don't play TF2 enough to know if that's wholly true or not.
Well TBH I haven't played TF2 for awhile anyway so I'm not quite sure if anything has changed since then.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:26pm
Lorx

quote harbin
Bit mixed about this, especially since it could lead to the best items being available only for those who pay for them.
Doesn't the shop already have every item anyway, you just can't pick out different "rarities" (vintage or whatever)? I don't play TF2 enough to know if that's wholly true or not.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:15pm
harbin

Granted it would probably be Valve trying to combat bots that sell items anyway, so they have more control over how stuff works so I suppose it would also be to control the economy and enforce more protection from players getting ripped off, although I'm sure Valve will also take a small commission since quite a lot of companies do when they operate things like this.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:12pm
Lorx

Perhaps I'm just thinking wishfully, but I'd like to think it's more because they saw the opportunity with players trying to use the system for it, and wanted to implement an actual system for those players. Players > Profit motivation, rather than the other way around.

Suppose it doesn't really make a difference in the end though.