Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » MacBook charger not working » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Dec 09, 12 at 7:04pmEllipsis

Not sure if this is the right forum, though it seems like it should be.

I don't think it's a problem with my actual computer, but the charger just suddenly stopped working a few hours ago. I think I heard a sort of snap sound when I plugged it in the first time it didn't work, and since then the light doesn't come on, the screen does not say it is charging, and the system is not actually charging. My computer was running low on battery then so needless to say it died pretty quickly. Now I have to use my old PC, which is often slow and unresponsive. I don't have a problem with using this for now, but I'd really rather be able to use my MacBook. Is there any way I can fix the charger without buying an entirely new one?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 08, 14 at 6:37am
DW123

MacBooks' chargers are notoriously poorly made...I've been through 2 in 3 years with my MacBook, and I am very careful with it and maintain it well. Apple should be even more embarrassed by this than they already are.

Sep 04, 13 at 7:10am
FredH

Try changing the fuse, worked for me

Jul 18, 13 at 10:10am
dariozz

just interchange the removable piece of the charger between the long cable and the short piece that plug in the wall

Jun 11, 13 at 11:36am
anonympous 124652315

My charger wasn't working, just cleaned the connections with some tissue, and now it works perfectly!

Apr 19, 13 at 11:32pm
bhelle

when i plug in our mac on its charger at first it will turn green then orange but just a few seconds it will go green again..supposed to be if its charging it will stay orange then yellow when it fuly charge isnt it?do i have to buy new charger?

Apr 14, 13 at 3:44am
LolaReadman

You could try cleaning the magsafe adaptor and where it plugs in. The connection on mine was black where the charger plugs in . I turned it off, cleaned it carefully with a cotton bud and now it works fine.

Can only think it the gunk which had built up was affecting the connection to the charger.

Hope this works for you

Dec 16, 12 at 11:15am
Rondo

quote Kinetic

Now, there is one desperate thing I tried (when I was frustrated after it didn't work for two days) that ended up making it work for a little while.. I banged the *bleep*ing thing (the main box part) against a wall, repeatedly. I thought I had broken it, as it was my intention, but it worked. Might not want to try that though. Lol.

Lol that's hilarious. I'm going try that now when my charger breaks. xD

Dec 15, 12 at 10:50pm
Kinetic

Oh, where do I begin.

Apple has a tendency to make accessories to their products... poorly. Trust me, you aren't the only one having this problem.

I am on my 3'rd Macbook charger. I don't leave them in all the time, I don't abuse them, I treat them perfectly fine and they just, *poof*... gone.

There really isn't much you can do. You can try what the other users have already said or buy a new one. Unfortunately, Apple also overcharges for their accessories, as a new charger (as you probably know) is near $80.

Now, there is one desperate thing I tried (when I was frustrated after it didn't work for two days) that ended up making it work for a little while.. I banged the *bleep*ing thing (the main box part) against a wall, repeatedly. I thought I had broken it, as it was my intention, but it worked. Might not want to try that though. Lol.

Dec 10, 12 at 3:09pm
Rondo

Macbook chargers have a tendency to fray. It's a marketing strategy used by Apple to force you to buy a new one. Try to wiggle around the cable and see if it works. It was a temporary fix when my charger frayed.

Snapping? From the cable? When you plug it in? Maybe you busted the wall socket. I did that one time for some reason. Sparks flew out. Have you tried plugging it elsewhere?

Dec 10, 12 at 7:10am
Fifth Column

You can try smoothing the thin part of the cord out, especially close to the actual charger plug. A lot of times that thin wire can kink and can prevent the singal from going through. Not sure what the snap would be, but this has saved me from needing to get a new charger on two occasions so I hope you have the same luck.