Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Call of Duty: Black Ops II » Activision's Fool-Proof Fix for Lag Compensation! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Black Ops Black Ops 2 Brigadier General Colonel 2nd Lieutenant Ghosts Major Lieutenant Colonel Corporal General Captain Lieutenant General 1st Lieutenant Major General Master Sergeant Modern Warfare Modern Warfare 3 Private Sergant Major Sergeant

hideOriginal Post

Dec 05, 12 at 10:16pmHorse

Via Gamegrep and Examiner.com - http://www.gamegrep.com/news/61132-black_ops_2_lag_compensation_fix_updated_guide_revealed_for_ps3_and_xbox_360/

Activision today revealed an updated guide in regards to the lag compensation fix for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the recently-released multiplatform title, “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.” The publisher first suggests players to use a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi to play the online portion of the video game. If that did not solve the lag issues, they also provided a few more technical steps that will possibly help alleviate the problems.
So, once again, instead of realising that their lag compensation system simply doesn't *bleep*ing work, they have shifted the blame on us, the players. This is apparently a guide on how to 'fix' lag compensation.

For PS3:
1. Disable any firewall or security features on your router.

2. Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your PlayStation 3. This game uses ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and ports 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP (Transmission Control Protocol.)

3. Disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer and Sony’s PlayStation 3 Connection Issues page for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having.

4. Place your PlayStation 3 into the DMZ of your router.

If you are having issues connecting while multiple PlayStation 3 consoles are connected on the same network, try forwarding the ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP for one PlayStation 3 and setting the other as DMZ. There is a chance that this may not resolve your issue, if it doesn’t then you may want to consider getting an additional public IP address by contacting your Internet Service Provider and assigning it to one of the consoles.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your PlayStation 3 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be done again. You can visit PortForward's Static IP Guide for a detailed guide on how to do this.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue, try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. In most games this is accomplished by backing out to the main menu and then selecting multiplayer again. From there you can try connecting to another online game.

Moderate and Strict NAT types may have issues connecting to online matches. You may get the error "Notice - The game session is no longer available." If you do then enabling UPnP, forwarding ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP, or placing your PlayStation 3 in your router's DMZ may resolve this issue. Please consult your router documentation for instructions on how to do this
For Xbox:
When playing the game online, the minimum speed of your network should be 128kbps. The ideal network speed for playing the game online is 768kbps. If you are having a problems with lag check the following:

Network Troubleshooting:

2. Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your Xbox 360. This game uses port 3074 (UDP/TCP). Additionally Xbox LIVE requires ports 80, 53 TCP and 88, 53 UDP.

3. Place your Xbox 360 into the DMZ of your router.

4. Disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer and Microsoft's Xbox Live Connection Issues page for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having. You can also verify that you have an Xbox Live compatible router.

If you are having issues connecting while multiple Xbox 360 consoles are connected on the same network, try forwarding port 3074 (UDP/TCP) for one Xbox 360 and setting the other as DMZ. There is a chance that this may not resolve you issue, if it doesn’t then you may want to consider getting an additional public IP address by contacting your Internet Service Provider and assigning it to one of these two consoles.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your Xbox 360 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be done again. You can visit PortForward's Static IP Guide for a detailed guide on how to do this.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue, try the following:

Try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. In most games this is accomplished by backing out to the main menu and then selecting multiplayer again. From there you can try connecting to another online game.

Run the Xbox Network Self Test to see how strong your NAT is currently set to. Once the test is completed you will be notified if there is an issue with your connection. If you select "More Info" you will be given information about your NAT type and some steps to resolve any issues with your connection.

Moderate and Strict NAT types may have issues connecting to online matches. You may get the error "Notice - The game session is no longer available." If you do then enabling UPnP, forwarding port 3074, or placing your Xbox in your router's DMZ may resolve this issue. Please consult your router documentation for instructions on how to do this.
I direct your attention to the very first point they have suggested:
GOOD IDEA YOU *bleep*ING TWITS! LET'S REMOVE ANY AND ALL SECURITY FROM OUR ROUTER! Once our router has been given a dose of radiation to get rid of all security, we have to forward ports! If that doesn't work...uhh, a demilitarized zone! That'll work! No? Well shit...CONNECT TO ANOTHER SERVER TROLOLOLOL! This is absolutely ridiculous, and I wonder how many people will actually do this, haha.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 04, 13 at 2:44pm
HU1CH13

When will people learn the problem isn't because of the game having lag comp? It's because the lag comp system in the game isn't working properly. Add to that the broken camera/animation thing in Black Ops 2.

Jun 04, 13 at 2:19pm
Chris

quote pwickersham
quote Shortman
Blowing the BF3 horn here again but their servers are brilliant. I can play on a North American server and have no noticeable lag. (I live in the UK)
Ok, this got my attention enough to reply! Not to hijack, but there are still lag issues with BF3 servers that irritate me. BF3 definitely has lag comp, and I have seen it allow crappy connection users to dominant. So, it is much the same issue here.. Overall, the servers provide a much more consistent experience, though.. However, i tended to play BF3 late at night in the Pacific Northwest, which means i ended up playing people from US, Japan, Korea, etc... Often, the players from the other continent seemed to be invincible... However, during peak hours with a lot of players online, the dedicated servers provided a lot of consistent gameplay.. Not to mention the eventual ability to rent your own servers for consoles..

So, I think dedicated servers are definitely better, but the netcode of BF3 has its' own issues, as well, when it comes to lag comp.
Point is that the rare cases of lag aren't a shade as bad as Call Of Duty games. If I hopped on BF3 right now I'd get into a lobby and have fun, no lag lots of great destruction. If I hopped onto COD I'd probably hop into a lobby, have a host ragequit and host migration fail or get stuck in a lagfest.

Jun 04, 13 at 1:08pm
pwickersham

quote Shortman
Blowing the BF3 horn here again but their servers are brilliant. I can play on a North American server and have no noticeable lag. (I live in the UK)
Ok, this got my attention enough to reply! Not to hijack, but there are still lag issues with BF3 servers that irritate me. BF3 definitely has lag comp, and I have seen it allow crappy connection users to dominant. So, it is much the same issue here.. Overall, the servers provide a much more consistent experience, though.. However, i tended to play BF3 late at night in the Pacific Northwest, which means i ended up playing people from US, Japan, Korea, etc... Often, the players from the other continent seemed to be invincible... However, during peak hours with a lot of players online, the dedicated servers provided a lot of consistent gameplay.. Not to mention the eventual ability to rent your own servers for consoles..

So, I think dedicated servers are definitely better, but the netcode of BF3 has its' own issues, as well, when it comes to lag comp.

May 14, 13 at 2:48pm
Phil Anselmo

quote DarkBlade725
Still waiting for a true fix

Doubt we'll get one. The engine is broken. Sucks, I really love the pick 10 system.

May 14, 13 at 2:01pm
DarkBlade725

Still waiting for a true fix

May 12, 13 at 4:31pm
Chris

quote RRM707
quote BootsCook66
For me, this game is a complete joke! I love it, but I can't play it. Simply unplayable. I've tried everything, good connection, 35mb up and 10mb down from 5mb up and 1mb down, nothing works, nothing matters. I spawn, I'm dead, I spot a guy first, unload a clip, I'm dead. I "camp" in a spot for 2 seconds, I'm dead. The replay kill cam always shows me either not shooting my weapon or getting shot from behind when I am clearly shooting the enemy in the chest on my screen. Why are we being punished for good connections? Work hard for a living, pay good money for internet services and we get it shoved in the ***!
While spoiled rotten Little Johnny goes 53 and 3 with 2 fricken connection bars. The most frustrating and unrealistic multiplayer I have ever played! Oh? Have you tried best connection? JOKE, Port forwarding? USELESS, DMZ? Sorry no help. $60.00 for the game, $50.00 for revolution, what a fricken waste of money! Hey! lets turn off our firewalls! Another great idea, jerkoffs! I could live with the crappy spawn system and giving the enemy a free kill shooting me in the back. How about returning the favor sometime? Oop's, sorry Treyarch, my connection is too good. What players cannot deal with is giving other players an edge, putting them one second ahead of others because their connections suck. Ever hear of minimum requirements?
Not to mention players getting 1500 to 1800 point kill streaks within 30 seconds of the match start, can you please explain to me how this is possible? 0-15 in 60 seconds, yea that sounds fair.
Treyarch is well aware of the problem but they are too damn greedy and cheap to fix it, great job you morons at Treyarch, my bullet ridden hat goes off to you.
[b][/b]

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself!
This game is so broken with the lag, I'm going back to BO1 & MW3.....I just can't take it anymore.
They weren't much better. We keep saying that the next COD need to have better servers etc. but it never bluddy happens.

May 12, 13 at 4:03pm
RRM707

quote BootsCook66
For me, this game is a complete joke! I love it, but I can't play it. Simply unplayable. I've tried everything, good connection, 35mb up and 10mb down from 5mb up and 1mb down, nothing works, nothing matters. I spawn, I'm dead, I spot a guy first, unload a clip, I'm dead. I "camp" in a spot for 2 seconds, I'm dead. The replay kill cam always shows me either not shooting my weapon or getting shot from behind when I am clearly shooting the enemy in the chest on my screen. Why are we being punished for good connections? Work hard for a living, pay good money for internet services and we get it shoved in the ***!
While spoiled rotten Little Johnny goes 53 and 3 with 2 fricken connection bars. The most frustrating and unrealistic multiplayer I have ever played! Oh? Have you tried best connection? JOKE, Port forwarding? USELESS, DMZ? Sorry no help. $60.00 for the game, $50.00 for revolution, what a fricken waste of money! Hey! lets turn off our firewalls! Another great idea, jerkoffs! I could live with the crappy spawn system and giving the enemy a free kill shooting me in the back. How about returning the favor sometime? Oop's, sorry Treyarch, my connection is too good. What players cannot deal with is giving other players an edge, putting them one second ahead of others because their connections suck. Ever hear of minimum requirements?
Not to mention players getting 1500 to 1800 point kill streaks within 30 seconds of the match start, can you please explain to me how this is possible? 0-15 in 60 seconds, yea that sounds fair.
Treyarch is well aware of the problem but they are too damn greedy and cheap to fix it, great job you morons at Treyarch, my bullet ridden hat goes off to you.
[b][/b]

Wow! I couldn't have said it better myself!
This game is so broken with the lag, I'm going back to BO1 & MW3.....I just can't take it anymore.

Mar 25, 13 at 11:35am
BootsCook66

[b][/b]

Dec 23, 12 at 1:00pm
Miss Fortune

It seems like they're using the same net code from prior games, then later tweak it with patches and hot fixes as the game progress's and people adapt to it.

Activision shouldn't have said anything in the matter, but going back to MW3 and Black Ops I hardly get any terrible connections unless the host is far, far away from me. Really just reaffirms that eventually Treyarch will fix the issues, just Activision wanted something to halt the masses from sending them messages on their boards, emails, and other outlets saying "fix lag plz".

Dec 23, 12 at 12:49pm
BlackLabel

Do you know how I fixed my lag issue? I stopped playing the game and played better games. I bought Far Cry 3 and other games I would have missed had I continued to play Black Ops 2, it's a simple fix as well.