Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » New build problem » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Nov 29, 12 at 6:18pmCrusad3r

Ok, so this problem's never happened to me before, so I'd like some opinions on what the issue is before I take it to my local repair shop

I connect everything up and power it on. The lights and fans start, then they die immediately after. No beeps or anything. I've tried replacing everything except the CPU cause I don't have any thermal paste to put the fan back on with.

H77 mobo
i5 3550 cpu
generic brand 500w PSU (I'm guessing this is the problem, but it's brand new!)

Help guys

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 30, 12 at 3:53pm
bobbyg2

Alright man, best of luck!

Nov 30, 12 at 5:04am
Crusad3r

I'm almost certain that my PSU is instantly cutting the power. I'll see when I take it into my local repair shop I guess.

Nov 30, 12 at 3:14am
bobbyg2

Crap, unless you have a volt meter and the know how there's no other way to test it.

It can either be the power supply or the motherboard, imo.

This happened to me twice.

The first time, was my first time building a computer. I didn't use the motherboard spacers and shorted the mobo. (Rookie mistake lol! )

Second time was when my power supply died.

Take a look around the motherboard and if you don't see any bubbled chips/swollen capacitors your PSU might be DOA.

Might have to RMA it.

If you get the new PSU back and the same symptoms come back, than it's the motherboard.

Unless you're running a very high end card or a ridiculous hard driver setup, causing your power supply to instantly protect. (Or maybe your generic power supply is overrated simulating the same thing?)

Nov 30, 12 at 1:26am
Crusad3r

I just finished it and tried to boot it on to install windows, but it wouldn't boot on.

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC that can run on that PSU.

Nov 29, 12 at 9:46pm
bobbyg2

So you just finished building it, and it started do this? Or have you have it for a while and it started doing this?

Do you have another computer that you don't care about to test the PSU on?

Nov 29, 12 at 9:23pm
Crusad3r

This isn't my first build. All the components are connected up properly.

Specs shouldn't really matter in this case.

Nov 29, 12 at 8:34pm
bobbyg2

Silly question: Is this your first build? There's a few things that could be wrong by hooking it up wrong.

Do you know your computers complete specs?

Nov 29, 12 at 6:18pm
Crusad3r

Ok, so this problem's never happened to me before, so I'd like some opinions on what the issue is before I take it to my local repair shop

I connect everything up and power it on. The lights and fans start, then they die immediately after. No beeps or anything. I've tried replacing everything except the CPU cause I don't have any thermal paste to put the fan back on with.

H77 mobo
i5 3550 cpu
generic brand 500w PSU (I'm guessing this is the problem, but it's brand new!)

Help guys