Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » standalone virtualisation program? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 21, 12 at 2:06pmhiigaran

is there a copy of VMWare or a similar program that doesnt require an installation? that is, you can open it, run it, create a virtual machine, and do it all without having to install a thing?

im still trying to find ways around this permissions thing for the work computers i deal with.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 14, 12 at 11:28am
hiigaran

im a month late on this, but thinapp didnt work. im guessing there was still some kind of installation procedure that needed to be done.

Nov 22, 12 at 4:50am
hiigaran

hmm, ill have to give it a shot first, but that might work. ill get back to you when i get time to fiddle around with it.

Nov 22, 12 at 12:41am
Pedigree

VMWare ThinApp?

Nov 21, 12 at 11:16pm
hiigaran

downloading is fine, but not installing. or at least...i know that i can install some things, but not others. i think it might have to do with installing to specific folders and adding registry values. dunno, really.

Nov 21, 12 at 2:53pm
harbin

Not that I can think of, the only one other than that is Windows Virtual PC, but that is a program that has to be downloaded aswell.

The only other thing I can think of is installing it as a dual boot but even that won't work as you'd want since it'd have to be one OS open or the other, and not sure you can have two OS' open simultaneously on a bare-metal hypervisor anyway, which of course would require reinstalling the OS.

Can you not log on to the host machine (instead of the OS, and install the VMware in a custom location and try and access it locally? I believe there are ways to bypass restrictions, but I can't quite remember how TBH.

Nov 21, 12 at 2:06pm
hiigaran

is there a copy of VMWare or a similar program that doesnt require an installation? that is, you can open it, run it, create a virtual machine, and do it all without having to install a thing?

im still trying to find ways around this permissions thing for the work computers i deal with.