Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » First build help required » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 20, 12 at 12:34pmBaddestRuffest

So basically i want to build a new pc primarily to be used for gaming, I am based in the Uk if that makes a difference at all.I don't know that much about compatibility but I am not a total idiot

First off i was playing with the idea of using the new AMD 8 core processor, 12-16 gb of RAM 2-3 GB graphics card and running my os from an SSD, money isn't a huge issue as i can buy parts hugely discounted from retail prices.

Any help/advice is appreciated

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 29, 12 at 8:18pm
bobbyg2

MSI Big Bang Motherboard

EVGA GTX 680

4 x 4GB Patriot DDR3-1866

Seagate 3TB

OCZ PCI-E-4x SSD

Antec Twelve Hundred (my preferece, really up to you)

Corsair AX1200i PSU (80 Plus Platinum)

Subtotal: £1,483.36
-30% discount = 1,038.35
-10% discount = 934.52

You'll have quad channel, and plenty of RAM (you fill the res of the slots for 54.17 after all discounts), You can have up to four GTX 680s (253.63 per additional card)(although 4 cards might make it impossible to fit the PCI-E SSD, so you'll have to get an SATA3 SSD), The PCIE-4x SSD will make booting up and loading go really quick, you'll have 3TB of storage.

Some other people might chip in, but I think this is one of your best bets.

Only thing not included is an optical drive, Windows, monitor, keyboard & mouse.

Nov 29, 12 at 11:37am
BaddestRuffest

Okay so I treated myself to an i7 3960x and was wondering what would be the best choice of board/ram and gfx card to compliment and get the best from my system.

Nov 23, 12 at 11:23am
BaddestRuffest

The sole use of the rig will be for gaming, I want to be able to play any game on maximum settings and resolution for the next couple of years without having to worry. Here is the killer blow, the discount I receive has today been reduced to 30% off of the original retail price and then 10% off the reduced price so I think my budget needs a rethink. Could you do a work up that would meet my needs without skimping or cutting corners and see how we go.

Nov 22, 12 at 10:19pm
hiigaran

you cant go wrong with either one.

'again'?

Nov 22, 12 at 3:30pm
Benedict

The i7-3770k vs the i7 3930k... here we go again

Nov 22, 12 at 3:03pm
hiigaran

what is the purpose of this computer? honestly, id say that pas a certain point, you wont see faster hardware being worth their prices. grab a GTX 680, or if you really need the power, two 680s in SLI on a mobo that can handle x16 x16 SLI (as opposed to x16 x8 or x16 x4). however, i wouldnt go further than that. the law of diminishing returns will hit you hard past this point, anyway. dont forget that even with your discounts, having an excessively powerful rig will mean you will get raped with your power bill. on the topic of that, considering your discounts, look for a platinum efficiency PSU at a wattage that is double what your average power consumption will be (highest efficiency at ~50% load...less heat made and less power consumed).

an i7 3770K is a definite given. ivy bridge uses less power than sandy bridge, and is more powerful.

depending on prices, you might find it cheaper to get a socket 2011 system, and use slower RAM in the quad channel memory to get double the bandwidth. four 1066mhz sticks of RAM in quad channel will have as much bandwidth as two 2133mhz sticks.

probably best to stick with ivy bridge, but i figured i should bring that up anyway.

Nov 22, 12 at 2:42pm
Benedict

quote BaddestRuffest
Also looking around for RAM and figure I can buy the G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 2133MHz for about £60, advisable ?[/div]
That sounds good.
Need hiigaran in here to recommend some stuff for a $4000 build. Hiigaran, don't you dare say anything other than the best.

That's unless you want to be saving as much money as you can, and taking advantage of your discounts to get something very cheap. You could get a high-end gaming PC for under £500 after your discounts if you wanted to.

Nov 21, 12 at 8:39pm
BaddestRuffest

Also looking around for RAM and figure I can buy the G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 2133MHz for about £60, advisable ?

Nov 21, 12 at 8:36pm
BaddestRuffest

Now I think about it I could get it cheaper still if I take just the processor out and ditch the standard cpu cooler I could get it loads cheaper and just buy an after market cooler which I planned to do anyway.

Nov 21, 12 at 8:32pm
BaddestRuffest

Yes, I have double checked and the retail price is around £477-£500, the way my discount works is 50% of that price and then a further 10% of the reduced price so if it was £500 I'd have to pay £225.