Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » ~$800 Gaming Build » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 18, 12 at 8:38pmNagare

I'm getting closer and closer to actually replacing my current PC and wonder what you guys think about this:

Core i5-3570k $220 Similar performance AMD for lower cost maybe?
Asus Z77 Mobo $125 Came in a combo with the case, I just want something compatible and with HDMI out
G Skill 16GB Ram $55 16GB RAM, other cheaper brand?
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD $50 Good brand, reasonable price
Gigabyte 7950 $300 this is the main thing I want to stay
Rosewill Challenger Case $40 Was cheapish, don't care
550W PSU $20 cheapest I saw with decent reviews
-----
$810

I'm sure that the CPU and mobo are more highly priced than what I really need, but I don't know anything about them really. I play games like Portal 2, Dota 2, Borderlands 2, SC2, GW2, Crysis 2, Payday, and Battlefield 3 (lots of 2s in that list...). I play at 1680*1050, but I'd like to have a relatively future proof GPU and the deal with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3 is too good.

Could you fine folks help me out?

A few mentions: halo3rox, hiigaran, harbin91, Crusad3r

Thanks

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 13, 13 at 8:06pm
Nagare

Just remembered I hadn't updated you guys on anything in awhile. I got back to my dorm and all the parts were here waiting for me. I put everything together in about 2.5 hours with the hardest part, by far, being the heatsink installation. I opted to go for a Hyper 212 Evo so that I could safely overclock the processor without any worries. The processor is set for boosting to 4.3 GHz now instead of just 3.9.

I also overclocked the GPU quite a bit and tested it out in Furmark. By my interpretations of that score and the comparison chart for 720p, my card is capable of outperforming a (not sure if it is overclocked) 7970 and 680 with my current OC configuration. Was short of 6970 crossfire though. All that matters for me, though, is that it seems to be running my games just fine! Battlefield 3 runs everything on Ultra with 4x MSAA no problem with V-Sync on. I had it without Vsync and the FPS was typically in the 100 FPS range but put GPU use at 99%, now it maxes around 60% utilization. Here are my exact settings which, with Vsync, stay at 60 FPS all the time.

I also ordered a SteelSeries 6Gv2 keyboard with Cherry MX Black switches and I love it so far, such a pleasure to type on and I got it for a steal of a price at just $55 shipped (was a review unit).

Here are a few pictures I took.

Dec 11, 12 at 3:46pm
Nagare

Sounds good, thanks for the help. I doubt I'll get a second 7950 anytime soon, but when/if I do that is good to know.

Dec 11, 12 at 3:24pm
Luis_GT

it does support crossfire, only that the second PCI-e card will be limited by the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth... which probably is negligible.

Dec 11, 12 at 2:57pm
Nagare

bobbyg2 Is it that this card won't support Crossfire at all? The X in the board name means it does...Or do you mean one card would be bottlenecked by a different PCIe slot?

Dec 11, 12 at 1:08am
bobbyg2

Looks good!

I woulda chosen a mobo with at least two pcie 3.0 x16 slots for crossfirex down the road, but if all you want is a single card that's a good mobo!

Dec 10, 12 at 7:32pm
Nagare

For any of you curious folk out there, here are the final parts I ordered for the system (as a note I skipped the budget and ended up aiming for under $900 instead...)

Core i7 3770k $118.24
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H 115
Sapphire 7950 300
G-Skill Ares 16GB 55
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 70
HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 64
Corsair Enthusiast TX750 85
in a Cooler Master HAF 912 55

Total cost of $862.43 unless I decide to grab an after market heat sink/CPU fan which I'll probably do if I see the Hyper 212+ or Evo for about $20 sometime during the holiday season. After rebates (which I'm not too optimistic about given that they are rebates...) it would be about $796.

Nov 23, 12 at 12:43am
Nagare

PureOCJim, I ended up ordering the HAF 912. Also, what does the rail and amp count mean? O:

Nov 23, 12 at 12:16am
PureOCJim

quote halo3rox
quote Nagare
I'm getting closer and closer to actually replacing my current PC and wonder what you guys think about this:

Core i5-3570k $220 Similar performance AMD for lower cost maybe?
Asus Z77 Mobo $125 Came in a combo with the case, I just want something compatible and with HDMI out
G Skill 16GB Ram $55 16GB RAM, other cheaper brand?
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD $50 Good brand, reasonable price
Gigabyte 7950 $300 this is the main thing I want to stay
Rosewill Challenger Case $40 Was cheapish, don't care
550W PSU $20 cheapest I saw with decent reviews
-----
$810

I'm sure that the CPU and mobo are more highly priced than what I really need, but I don't know anything about them really. I play games like Portal 2, Dota 2, Borderlands 2, SC2, GW2, Crysis 2, Payday, and Battlefield 3 (lots of 2s in that list...). I play at 1680*1050, but I'd like to have a relatively future proof GPU and the deal with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3 is too good.

Could you fine folks help me out?

A few mentions: halo3rox, hiigaran, harbin91, Crusad3r

Thanks
I would'nt trust a 550w with that kind of video card maybe a 7770 video card (which is cheaper and does run everything on ultra atm).CPU looks good but I would recommend an I3 as it kicks the crap out of every game on the market,I wouldnt bother with AMDs they are half the price but in the computing world you get what you pay for in other words half the price half as powerful,not to mention compatability issues.Anything above an I3 it is overkill unless you are overclocking.1024/768 resolution is much less hard on your GPU and looks nearly as good. RAM is pretty good but you only need 8GB atm anything over is overkill. Mobo does'nt matter as long as its a good brand and it looks like you picked a fairly decent board.Case does'nt matter unless you are overclocking and need a decent airflow (not an issue with this build) you would be fine with a $15 case if you buy an I3 the I5 might need a little better airflow though.
Ya, 12V rail only has 25 amps BTW

Nov 23, 12 at 12:15am
PureOCJim

quote Nagare
As an update for this, I've ordered the RAM that I mentioned above and pretty much given up on the $600 price point XD. I'll be getting an i7 3770k with the help of a friend working at Best Buy who can take advantage of this deal which means it will be at most $120 shipped compared to the $150 I was looking to pay at Tiger Direct for their Black Friday sale. Probably getting this MSI Z77 mobo and this case. Do you guys have any good case recommendations that are available for under $50 instead of this one? Bumped up the PSU to 600W and hoping to grab this Thermaltake on Black Friday for $40 (-20 MIR). And a 2TB version of the Seagate for $70 as well.
Coolermaster HAF is $50-$60. A pretty good case with good airflow if you like the design.

Nov 21, 12 at 10:00pm
Nagare

As an update for this, I've ordered the RAM that I mentioned above and pretty much given up on the $600 price point XD. I'll be getting an i7 3770k with the help of a friend working at Best Buy who can take advantage of this deal which means it will be at most $120 shipped compared to the $150 I was looking to pay at Tiger Direct for their Black Friday sale. Probably getting this MSI Z77 mobo and this case. Do you guys have any good case recommendations that are available for under $50 instead of this one? Bumped up the PSU to 600W and hoping to grab this Thermaltake on Black Friday for $40 (-20 MIR). And a 2TB version of the Seagate for $70 as well.