Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Wii U » Game discs will have rounded edges » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Nov 13, 12 at 2:16pmtekmosis

Sounds kind of cool, it's a small thing but still interesting

There's something immediately striking about Nintendo's Wii U proprietary disc format that's hard to notice in photos -- it's got rounded edges, both outside and in. It feels different than any other disc we've handled before; Tim swears he's seen a round-edged disc in the wild, but we've never seen such a thing ourselves. It's as if the folks at Nintendo took sandpaper to every edge of every disc, making them all the more friendly to the touch. It's a little detail, but it's a nice one.

As we learned when the console was initially announced, the Wii U's "proprietary high-density optical discs" hold up to 25GB of data -- equivalent with that of Sony's single-layer Blu-ray format on the PlayStation 3, and much larger than the Xbox 360's dual-layer DVD format. Of course, all logic and statistics aside, having now handled a round-edged disc, we never wanna go back. We've taken some super up-close photos of Wii U karaoke title Sing Party, as well as comparison shots alongside its hard-edged Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 brethren, which can be found in the gallery below.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/nintendo-wii-u-proprietary-disc/

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 15, 12 at 2:18pm
Dark Arcanine

Yeah, several games have been available for a couple of days now.

Not sure how to comment on such information rather than it sounds good, haha. I guess I could say it ties in with the curvier design of the Wii U.

Nov 15, 12 at 11:49am
bbb7002004

I bought a Wii U game of course.

Ubisoft and Warner Bros. released their titles Tuesday of this week, and since I had one from each preordered I decided to pick them up early. I'll try and grab a picture or two tonight.

Nov 15, 12 at 10:02am
tekmosis

quote bbb7002004
Okay, so I laughed at this story when I first read it, but having now handled a Wii U disc myself it does feel really weird. I don't think its necessarily "better" or "worse" than your typical DVD, but definitely different.
Under what circumstances were you able to handle one of the discs? :0

Nov 15, 12 at 6:40am
FoneBoneFan15

It's weird that game discs have rounded edges. New Super Mario Bros. U has the first disc of a Nintendo game that have a round edge.

Nov 14, 12 at 8:42pm
Duncan Idaho

quote bbb7002004
Okay, so I laughed at this story when I first read it, but having now handled a Wii U disc myself it does feel really weird. I don't think its necessarily "better" or "worse" than your typical DVD, but definitely different.
i figure smoother/softer edges mean easier to put in or out of the console

Nov 14, 12 at 6:28pm
bbb7002004

Nov 13, 12 at 2:16pm
tekmosis

Sounds kind of cool, it's a small thing but still interesting

There's something immediately striking about Nintendo's Wii U proprietary disc format that's hard to notice in photos -- it's got rounded edges, both outside and in. It feels different than any other disc we've handled before; Tim swears he's seen a round-edged disc in the wild, but we've never seen such a thing ourselves. It's as if the folks at Nintendo took sandpaper to every edge of every disc, making them all the more friendly to the touch. It's a little detail, but it's a nice one.

As we learned when the console was initially announced, the Wii U's "proprietary high-density optical discs" hold up to 25GB of data -- equivalent with that of Sony's single-layer Blu-ray format on the PlayStation 3, and much larger than the Xbox 360's dual-layer DVD format. Of course, all logic and statistics aside, having now handled a round-edged disc, we never wanna go back. We've taken some super up-close photos of Wii U karaoke title Sing Party, as well as comparison shots alongside its hard-edged Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 brethren, which can be found in the gallery below.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/nintendo-wii-u-proprietary-disc/