Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Cisco 870 LAN issue » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 13, 12 at 7:09amhiigaran

you may recall my attempts at getting internet to more computers at my work place. well im back and i have another question. i found the router which delivers the internet (believe me, it was hidden very well), and so i decided to test a laptop by sticking an ethernet cable in to one of its LAN ports. nothing. the NIC on the laptop didnt even light up. i tried all free ports. the only port in use was the one that goes to a server switch. tried plugging the laptop in to there, and it lights up, so its not a laptop issue, but it remains stuck on 'aquiring network address', or something like that, which was my original problem when i asked many months ago.

so why cant i use any of the other LAN ports on the router?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 25, 13 at 7:10am
CCENT

It is called Port Security, also the additional ports are most likely turned off. This is all done on purpose so people like you can't do what your trying to do!
Try plugging in a switch to expand the one port you do have. This too will most likely fail as Port Security is probably turned on with a maximum if one learned or static MAC address. Various options include turning the port off, sending a message to the network administrator, and logging everything. If this is your work place, it would be a great way to get fired.

Nov 13, 12 at 1:49pm
hiigaran

i can imagine. is there no other way to get internet on extra devices, then?

Nov 13, 12 at 12:33pm
Ren of Heavens

My guess is unnecessary ports are disabled, plus DHCP too or whitelisted to known devices. People deciding to plug random things in is a major problem on corporate networks.

Nov 13, 12 at 9:39am
hiigaran

*shrug*

im really restricted in what i can do, im afraid.

Nov 13, 12 at 9:22am
Crusad3r

I've never heard of a restriction like that.

Could it be a firmware issue?

Nov 13, 12 at 7:44am
hiigaran

could it be a purposeful restriction from the company, instead of hardware failure? its not THAT old.

Nov 13, 12 at 7:39am
Crusad3r

Your problem has stumped me in the past too. I generally just got replacement router. It could be that the ports are so old that they don't really work any more. If it's a new router well... There's also a small possibility the problem is with the cable itself.

Nov 13, 12 at 7:09am
hiigaran

you may recall my attempts at getting internet to more computers at my work place. well im back and i have another question. i found the router which delivers the internet (believe me, it was hidden very well), and so i decided to test a laptop by sticking an ethernet cable in to one of its LAN ports. nothing. the NIC on the laptop didnt even light up. i tried all free ports. the only port in use was the one that goes to a server switch. tried plugging the laptop in to there, and it lights up, so its not a laptop issue, but it remains stuck on 'aquiring network address', or something like that, which was my original problem when i asked many months ago.

so why cant i use any of the other LAN ports on the router?