Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » New Desktop Computer » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 09, 12 at 11:27pmtramon123

Hello,

I am a college student who is in Architecture. For my projects I use a multiple of programs such as: Autodesk revit and AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, rhino, etc. Sense these programs are monsters I will be needing a powerful desktop to handle them. I live in the U.S. and and intending the use for heavy 3D software programs and have a budget of around 1,800.00 - 3,500.00. However I am a college student that only works during the summer and has a mountain of debt so if I could get help with a low medium and high difference in desktops within my range it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 16, 12 at 8:48am
harbin

Meanwhile he's still waiting for someone to think up of a build for him

Nov 16, 12 at 8:21am
Benedict

quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
I would go core i7 3930K or 3960K. The 3960K will throw you back $1000 whereas the 3930K is about $500. The difference is in the L3 cache. I think the 3930K has 12Mb aand the 3960K had 15Mb.

SandyBridge E processors require socket 2011 motherboard which are more expensive than Z77 motherboards with core i7 3770K.

With this said, you can build a very stout ivybridge 3770K system with top notch desktop graphics card for under $1500 or so. SandyBridge E will easily getcha to $2000.

Like mentioned above, a Quattro workstation GPU would be your best call an they can go a couple grand(just GPU) but that would be your best solution.[/div]
3960K is not worth it over 3930k unless you just want bragging rights of having "the best retail processor in existance". Personally I would recommend the i7 3930k for this. i7 3770k is dumb if he's got this kind of budget.

OP:
Are you overclocking?

Look at what he is using the system for. 15Mb of L3 cache is much better for his needs. I think you need to do some research on CPU performance and his needs.

quote trayman123
For my projects I use a multiple of programs such as: Autodesk revit and AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, rhino, etc
[/div]
I think you need to know money doesn't grow on trees.

I think you need to learn how to read a thread. Look at his budget. Your not a new memeber and I don't understand why your being confrontational with the budget... Plus the fact it is obvious you don't know the extra L3 cache would be better for his programs that he uses multi. LOL. Now that said, it is his money and I am sure he is grown up and can make a choice for himself.[/div]
$500 extra for a little more performance isn't worth it. Just overclock.
Like I said, he is a big boy and can make his own mind up. Give it up.[/div]
Sure, he can make his mind up. If he's got $500 spair, then no problem. If he's on a budget... wait[quote=tramon123|message:33873862]
However I am a college student that only works during the summer and has a mountain of debt
Huh. $500 is maybe too much to waste.

Nov 15, 12 at 11:58pm
PureOCJim

quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
I would go core i7 3930K or 3960K. The 3960K will throw you back $1000 whereas the 3930K is about $500. The difference is in the L3 cache. I think the 3930K has 12Mb aand the 3960K had 15Mb.

SandyBridge E processors require socket 2011 motherboard which are more expensive than Z77 motherboards with core i7 3770K.

With this said, you can build a very stout ivybridge 3770K system with top notch desktop graphics card for under $1500 or so. SandyBridge E will easily getcha to $2000.

Like mentioned above, a Quattro workstation GPU would be your best call an they can go a couple grand(just GPU) but that would be your best solution.[/div]
3960K is not worth it over 3930k unless you just want bragging rights of having "the best retail processor in existance". Personally I would recommend the i7 3930k for this. i7 3770k is dumb if he's got this kind of budget.

OP:
Are you overclocking?

Look at what he is using the system for. 15Mb of L3 cache is much better for his needs. I think you need to do some research on CPU performance and his needs.

[quote=trayman123]For my projects I use a multiple of programs such as: Autodesk revit and AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, rhino, etc
[/div]

I think you need to learn how to read a thread. Look at his budget. Your not a new memeber and I don't understand why your being confrontational with the budget... Plus the fact it is obvious you don't know the extra L3 cache would be better for his programs that he uses multi. LOL. Now that said, it is his money and I am sure he is grown up and can make a choice for himself.[/div]
Like I said, he is a big boy and can make his own mind up. Give it up.

Nov 14, 12 at 4:48pm
harbin

There actually isn't that much difference between the 3960x and the 3930k. Atleast not that much that it does command the spike in fee. The money would be better off spent on other parts of the build such as faster RAM or a SSD or even the GPU.

Love the fact we're just debating hardware instead of actually helping him

Nov 14, 12 at 4:37pm
Benedict

quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim

OP:
Are you overclocking?

[quote=trayman123]For my projects I use a multiple of programs such as: Autodesk revit and AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, rhino, etc
[/div]

Nov 14, 12 at 2:39pm
PureOCJim

quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim

OP:
Are you overclocking?

[/div]

I think you need to learn how to read a thread. Look at his budget. Your not a new memeber and I don't understand why your being confrontational with the budget... Plus the fact it is obvious you don't know the extra L3 cache would be better for his programs that he uses multi. LOL. Now that said, it is his money and I am sure he is grown up and can make a choice for himself.

Nov 14, 12 at 9:52am
Benedict

quote PureOCJim
quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim

OP:
Are you overclocking?

[/div]

Nov 13, 12 at 11:27pm
PureOCJim

quote PureOCJim
quote Benedict
[quote=PureOCJim|message:33880192]I would go core i7 3930K or 3960K. The 3960K will throw you back $1000 whereas the 3930K is about $500. The difference is in the L3 cache. I think the 3930K has 12Mb aand the 3960K had 15Mb.

OP:
Are you overclocking?

quote trayman123
For my projects I use a multiple of programs such as: Autodesk revit and AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, rhino, etc

Nov 13, 12 at 11:25pm
PureOCJim

quote Benedict
quote PureOCJim

OP:
Are you overclocking?

Nov 12, 12 at 10:46am
Benedict

quote PureOCJim

OP:
Are you overclocking?