Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Microsoft reportedly dropping Windows Live Messenger in favor of Skype » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Nov 05, 12 at 1:28pmRabidChinaGirl

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 11, 13 at 11:01pm
The Slayer

MSN messenger was awesome several years ago, then they just kept adding more and more crap to it. Like literally, crap. It was being so bloated and full of junk it was starting to get hard and annoying to use. It was almost to the point where the chatting part was just a secondary use of the program.

I got the email about the merge yesterday and decided to go ahead and merge my msn and skype accounts. The email said it would be quick and easy, it was anything but.

I've had my MSN messenger account for about 6 or 7 years. I've added and removed a lot of contacts in that period. When I merged them and signed into skype, it added back about 20 contacts I had removed. I spent some time and went through it and cleaned it all out. Then signed in on another computer AND THEY WERE ALL ADDED BACK.

I also can not block any MSN contacts. I'm also getting random notifications of new conversations. Conversations that I had the day before.

I'm also having a lot more random problems and issues. For as long as skype and MSN have been out, you would think they could have a good working chat program.

Jan 11, 13 at 10:37pm
Arietta

The merge function has caused nothing but problems to most.

*cough* The Slayer *cough*

I will miss MSN though. I have been using it since I was 12. That's a whooping 9 years now. And I'm going to use it until March 15.

Jan 11, 13 at 2:47pm
BSB

do a google search for “skype msn merge”
Amazing that you can find real info from all the issues that are currently facing those who made the merge/mess

It does not tell you when you install skype that it is going to cripple other live services and KILL the original messenger.

nor does it tell you you wont have groups eg. family friends, co workers or whatever you set up in msn live.

even if you dont mind the merge you may not get ALL you contacts back or they may show incorrectly online / offline

Skype also says now that you should NOT use it over Wi-Fi which I have done in the past with no issues and which works even better with MSN

Microsoft bought skype and ruined it and are now forcing it (warts an all) on us all.

Lucky for me there are plenty of replacements that I cna use other than skype inc Magic jack for both Iphone and android and many other IM replacements.
Microsoft dropped the ball here and I am holding onto what I have for the moment after removing skype from my systems.

Dec 17, 12 at 12:17pm
Aurora

Good move. Hasn't WLM been in decline for a while now?

Nov 07, 12 at 12:45pm
Freeze

Yesterday Microsoft officially announced that they're integrating MSN's chat function within Skype via the Skype blog.

Nov 06, 12 at 9:06pm
Pedigree

Chekkaa, oh lol. I just realized that.

Heh.

Nov 06, 12 at 8:33pm
Chekkaa

Pedigree Microsoft owns Skype.

Nov 06, 12 at 8:03pm
Pedigree

I think this is a nice move. It goes to show that Microsoft is finally allowing third party companies into their fold.

Here's hoping Microsoft is going to drop internet explorer in favor of Firefox.

Nov 06, 12 at 6:29am
deeplove

I'm in favor for Skype. It's decent. I've never had any issues with the thing. I only used that Messenger once and never again. Didn't care for it. Not only that, I'd rather text on my phone. So yeah. Go Skype.

Nov 06, 12 at 5:34am
Rabla

MSN was just becoming more of a faulty broken mess with each update, glad to see they're finally sticking a knife in its face.