Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Feedback] News Notifications » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 01, 12 at 2:00amKR_1250

Hi,

Anyone know how i turn these off? They are rendering the notification system useless for me.

If they cant be truned off may i suggest just getting rid of them? They cause a lt of nuissance for no real benifit. I dont have to know when every single person comments on a news thread i happen to have commented in once over a week before.

Cheers for the time.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 07, 12 at 12:01pm
ar_cat

Hi guys, there might have a misunderstanding and the unread notification count was never done to specs.
I have modified it so that it respects the 'All', 'Direct', 'Other' filters.
If you encounter any problem, please report it in the bug forum. Thank you.

Nov 05, 12 at 5:51pm
Redemption

I think that's a bug/flaw, we're looking into it

Nov 03, 12 at 12:26am
Celes Leonhart

quote Demonfurby
Just switched to it and not thirty seconds go by and I got a notification saying someone commented on a news article. It doesn't show up in the direct notification list. but it still puts a number next to the overall notification tab. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
This also happens to me.

Nov 02, 12 at 6:24pm
Demonfurby

Just switched to it and not thirty seconds go by and I got a notification saying someone commented on a news article. It doesn't show up in the direct notification list. but it still puts a number next to the overall notification tab. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Nov 02, 12 at 3:57pm
Redemption

Is there a use case where switching to Direct Notifications isn't good enough to not receive News Notifications?

The Direct Notifications filter is sticky and once set, will permanently make it so that your Notifications counter only goes up if you get Direct Notifications.

What you might miss out on if you turn this on, aside from indirect News Notifications:
  1. Replies to stuff aside from News that you commented on. Eg If you comment on a fanart, normally you'd get Indirect Notifications of future replies. You won't see those anymore.

Nov 02, 12 at 2:13pm
Demonfurby

That's smart.

"Hey guys, what's the best way to get interest in our news articles?"

"Let's bomb the shit out of anyone who replies with annoying notifications!"

Nov 02, 12 at 11:59am
Grimdark

Yeah well, keep dreaming guys. They've already said they don't want it to be optional etc. I think the filter is the closest we'll see to opting out of useless notifications.

Nov 01, 12 at 7:47pm
Demonfurby

quote Ben73
I think if someone wants a notification every time a post is made, that should have to turn it on manually for themselves.
^^

Nov 01, 12 at 5:30pm
Ben73

I also hate this.
I like notifications when some one directly quotes me, but I dont need one everytime there is a response to the thread/news article.

I think if someone wants a notification every time a post is made, that should have to turn it on manually for themselves.

Nov 01, 12 at 11:43am
Lorx

Since threads/articles are "merged" more or less, I'm thinking the best option would be to simply normalize article notifications, and thread ones. This is the current setup;

Subscribing to Threads:
  • No notifications
  • Added to your my.threads to see responses from there
Articles:
  • Notifications for new responses
  • Not in your my.threads (this is done through the favorite option)
  • Notifications for liked comments
  • Can subscribe manually to also have the article saved to my.threads
So...we have threads, which you can choose to keep an eye on, or articles, which you don't get a choice on, but can opt in to a second half of tracking features.

Why not just combine that in a way that's pleasing to the end user? Something that allows users to track thread/article comments if they choose to, normalize what each "side" does when you reply or want to track it, make them the same.

A way to do this:
  • Remove notifications from articles commented on
  • Remove notifications for likes
    • Why is that a thing anyway? Cool, somebody liked my comment, now what do I do? There's nothing for me to do in response! I don't need to be notified about it if there's no action I should be doing in response!
  • Give out notifications for subscribed threads and favorited articles (both are already added to the user's my.threads)
    • Or don't, for both.
This has two advantages:
  • mainstay forum users don't get spammed with article jibber jabber
  • mainstay article users, who may not ever visit the rest of the site much, now have a use for their my.neoforum. Giving them more exposure to the rest of the site as they use it.
    • It may be apt to rename my.neoforum to my.home or something, since it's not like they're attempting to be part of the forums directly.