Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Nintendo 3DS » Nintendo reduces annual profit forecast as 3DS sales to prove weaker than expected » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

DS Logo Animal Crossing New Leaf Castlevania Lord of Shadow Cooking Mama DKC Returns 3D Dead or Alive Dimensions Ace Attorney Dual Destinies Fire Emblem Awakening Harvest Moon A New Beginning Kid Icarus Uprising Luigis Mansion Dark Moon Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Mario Kart 7 Dream Team Monster Hunter 4 New Super Mario Bros 2 Amsey Sigma Squiggle Heibai Swampert X Eiche Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy Pokemon X Pokemon Y Project X Zone Resident Evil Revelations Rune Factory 4 Mario 3D Land Shin Megami Tensei IV Sonic Generations Star Fox 64 3D Paper Mario Sticker Star Tales of the Abyss

hideOriginal Post

Oct 24, 12 at 12:38pmleochan

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 25, 12 at 6:50am
FoneBoneFan15

Well, if Wii U was released in 2011 instead of 2012, the weaker sales could not happen.

Oct 25, 12 at 6:26am
Nagare

bbb7002004, indeed. Not sure how I completely misread that part. Even better for Nintendo then, except for the selling at a loss bit.

Oct 25, 12 at 6:19am
bbb7002004

quote Nagare
GameStop already has 250k people on their preorder list and most are going for the Deluxe. Wonder if that model has an actual profit margin for them or if that is still being sold at a loss.
Actually, that's 250,000 people on a wait list to get on preorders. They opened the waitlist after they had already sold out on preorders, so the 250,000 number is people waiting to get one after a restock.

Oct 24, 12 at 8:59pm
Nagare

GameStop already has 250k people on their preorder list and most are going for the Deluxe. Wonder if that model has an actual profit margin for them or if that is still being sold at a loss.

Oct 24, 12 at 6:41pm
XXIV

quote THM
A dual stick version 3DS which is slightly smaller than XL is also coming for 2013...Overproduction of models perhaps!!!!? Stupid capitalist marketing!!!!
Putting out a 3DS with dual sticks would not be in the best interests of the company. Developers would have to redo all their games for the additional controls, and early adopters would complain about the need to buy a CCP or face no games at all. I personally hate using dual stick anything, as it always distracts me. Using the touch screen and a finger is perfectly adequate.

Oct 24, 12 at 6:05pm
ashantiqua

real simple, nintendo: games. make those things called games. new games. games that look so new, you dont need to put 'new' in the title.

Oct 24, 12 at 5:02pm
THM

A dual stick version 3DS which is slightly smaller than XL is also coming for 2013...Overproduction of models perhaps!!!!? Stupid capitalist marketing!!!!

Oct 24, 12 at 3:30pm
BlackScythe

I don't know how much tablets and smart phones are really effecting the market, but I believe it is incredibly misleading to label that as the primary cause. The 3ds isn't exactly cheap and it really doesn't have, what I view as anyways, games that could be considered a "system seller".

Oct 24, 12 at 1:36pm
bbb7002004

It's pretty typical for consumer electronics these days, Nintendo has been lucky to hold off the trend for this long. Both the 360 and PS3 were taking huge losses at the start of their respective life spans, making up for the lost cash (sort of, atleast from the number's I've seen) with software sales.

Hopefully Nintendo's choice to use older components will mean manufacturing costs will lower quickly for Wii U so that both it and the 3DS will be making a profit on each unit by the end of their fiscal year.

Also, its pretty hard on any Japanese company with the currency exchanges right now. The story even mentions how Nintendo lost 23 billion yen in the conversion in the first half of this year, playing a huge reason in the drop of the forecasted profit margins.

Though it is a bit frustrating to see the article focus on nothing but Apple killing the industry and ignoring how the market always contracts at the start of a new generation and how the 3DS is selling in line with the DS to this point in its life (including the reception of the lite now) in far harsher economic conditions and with a great deal more competition. Gotta love those analysts.

Oct 24, 12 at 1:22pm
Reflekt

It's absolutely sad to hear. Predicting your brand new console will take a loss right out of the factory must be hard to stomach, especially for Nintendo. Priding themselves as being innovators of the industry and all.