Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » DIY sound system » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 20, 12 at 7:52amhiigaran

huh...another DIY themed question thread by me...

anyway, im not interested in building anything (yet), but looking around at a heap of different components and factors involved, and so on and so forth, ive found myself rather confused.

lets split this up in to two parts...the amplifier, and the speakers. first off, which should you decide on first? considering that speakers have several factors in their specs, and from what im told, could affect a lot (including damaging the amp), should the type of speakers you will have be the first thing to decide on?

if not, then moving to the amp...now this is absolutely confusing. MOSFETs, OP-amp ICs, vacuum tubes (!?), and all those other components just confuse me. whats the difference? and why do some people prefer the old vacuum tubes? is there a hard and fast rule on what components you would want to buy to create a surround sound system that sounds good?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 05, 12 at 3:40am
hiigaran

sounds simple enough to me!

Dec 05, 12 at 2:29am
bobbyg2

The amp should put out just past the RMS of the speaker, so make sure you don't push it into/past audible distortion. If it's not quite as loud as you'd like, all you'd need is a second driver, and it'll be wired to 4 ohms if wired in parallel.

Dec 05, 12 at 2:14am
hiigaran

gotcha...i think

Dec 04, 12 at 10:43pm
bobbyg2

If you look at the drivers specs, you'll see the sensitivity. The 8 ohm has an 85.6 dB 1W/1m sensitivity, the 4 ohm has an 84.2 dB 1W/1m sensitivity. It's not much of a difference but it'll make a bigger difference when you have to use a 4ohm resistor with the 4ohm version. 3db is considered twice as loud.

Dec 04, 12 at 9:38pm
hiigaran

sensitive?

Dec 04, 12 at 3:29pm
bobbyg2

Yeah, but it's not going to be very loud. here's the 8-ohm model: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-352

Better to do that since it's more sensitive. You could even get two and wire them to 4-ohms if you'd like.

Dec 04, 12 at 2:46pm
hiigaran

four would be too much. i still need something like this to be relatively portable, which was why i was hoping i could get away with only one on each side. if overpowering is an issue, cant i just stick a 4ohm resistor to get the 8 ohm impedance?

Dec 04, 12 at 2:22pm
bobbyg2

If you're using 3/4" wood, I'd build two enclosure 15" high, 6" wide, and 8" deep, and use an 2" diameter peice of PVC 4" long to come to a tuning of ~83hz.

Wire the two drivers per cabinet in series for an 8Ohm nominal impedance per side.

If you wanted to use four drivers per side, double one of the cabinet dimensions and use two of those same dimensioned ports. Wire each pair in series, than the two seriesed pairs in parallel for a 4Ohm nominal impedance.

Dec 04, 12 at 1:31pm
hiigaran

ouch. maybe ill just consider those before, then.

...so you said i need to get two on each side to avoid overpowering them...how would i get to that stage in the first place (sorry, didnt know how else to word it)?

Dec 04, 12 at 1:09pm
bobbyg2

The Dayton DVC subs I linked earlier will sound good, my roommate has two Dayton Classic 15's and they sound great for their price. If you're looking for excellent sounding bass, Dayton does have Reference Series subs as well, although they're kinda expensive: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463