Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » The Lobby » [Not Mind Safe] I've heard of malpractice, but this... » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Note: The ethos of the forum we're attempting to cultivate is one of mutual respect for each other as well as the promotion of interesting conversation in a mature, yet casual, environment. We ask posters to keep this aim in mind whenever making a contribution here.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 13, 12 at 10:31amDragonatrix

So, uh, this sure is something. I, uh, I highly recommend not reading if you're of a particularly sensitive nature (or easily triggered or whatever the new cool way to say "super ridiculously squeamish" is). I mean, I'm not the kind to normally say that, but yeah.

Missouri couple sues doctors for separating baby’s head during grisly botched birth, and trying to cover it up: reports Arteisha Betts and Travis Ammonette claim in lawsuit that their OB-GYN refused to perform a planned C-section and then detached baby's spine while trying to yank him from the birth canal.

A Missouri obstetrician separated a baby's head from his body during delivery and then shoved the newborn back into the mother and performed an emergency C-section to cover up the ghastly blunder, a couple claims in a lawsuit.

Arteisha Betts and Travis Ammonette, of Florissant, filed a 10-count complaint in St. Louis County Circuit Court last month claiming doctors wrongly pushed them to have a vaginal delivery, decapitated their son and then tried to cover it up, according to local Patch and Courthouse News Service.

The details of the couple's claim are horrifying.
(Source)

Emphasis, mine.

Okay, seriously, holy shit how does something like that happen and who tries to cover it up by making it even worse? I guess it's obvious he panicked and all but could've thought that through a bit better. Apparently it's relatively easy for at least the accidental decapitation to happen during some premature birth procedures but I'm far from anywhere near knowledgeable about anything medical so don't take that as gospel. Still, the mind boggles.

More importantly, this is only the one side to things so it's biased in that regard and leads to people jumping to conclusions without knowing the full events. Still, I can't imagine there's much to be said for the other half that helps excuse any of this.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 21, 12 at 3:15am
Short Circuit

quote Resilience
Well, it's not like anything can be done to change it. Decapitations are far more common than one might think. Remember, babies are cartilage. It's weaker. If the woman couldn't push hard enough, then the baby would have to be 'pulled'. Obviously the woman stopped pushing halfway through.
My nose is made cartilage too. That doesn't just come off if I tug at it. I find it hard to believe that a baby's head can just pop off like that. The doctor, in my mind, must have been pulling pretty damn hard.

Don't labor contractions happen automatically? Is it possible to completely stop pushing? This still sounds like malpractice to me.

Oct 19, 12 at 3:36pm
hiigaran

if that was the case, i dont think it was the womans choice to stop pushing. its not like she thought to herself, 'hey, just for kicks, ill stop halfway and leave my baby in my vagina while i enjoy the pain some more'

Oct 19, 12 at 3:27pm
Resilience

Well, it's not like anything can be done to change it. Decapitations are far more common than one might think. Remember, babies are cartilage. It's weaker. If the woman couldn't push hard enough, then the baby would have to be 'pulled'. Obviously the woman stopped pushing halfway through.

Oct 19, 12 at 3:24pm
hiigaran

quote Resilience
This stuff happens. Oh well, really. The woman took a chance and obviously made the wrong choice.
ಠ_ಠ

Oct 19, 12 at 3:22pm
Resilience

This stuff happens. Oh well, really. The woman took a chance and obviously made the wrong choice.

Oct 18, 12 at 5:39am
Short Circuit

Horrifying. Bloody horrifying.

How exactly would the C-section cover up what the person did? It sounds like he panicked and did the first thing that came to mind.

I hope the parents win the lawsuit. The guy obviously isn't fit to be a doctor. Why the hell was he pulling? Did he have somewhere to be?

Oct 17, 12 at 1:34am
Ditnopota

Holy *bleep*ing hell.

This... I've never heard of something like this. It's horrid. I hope whomever did this gets sued out the ass and never delivers another baby again.

Oct 17, 12 at 1:19am
Dragoon

quote Misty
Er, why on earth were they pulling at the baby from the birth canal...? I don't know much about premature births, but a regular birth you're basically playing catcher, certainly not pulling on anything.
I was pulled from the womb with foreceps, apparently I had dents in the side of my head for weeks, haha. It does happen, but probably not all that often. (I also had my umbelical cord wrapped round my neck twice. Proving I was suicidal even before talking to Whelan ). Seriously though, it does happen occasionally.

As for the story at hand, just what the hell where the doctors thinking? If they baby becomes stuck to the point where you literally have to yank it out then you stop and advise an emergency C-Section. It's bad enough the Doctors and Midwives were clearly unable to deal with a birth but then to have the *bleep*ing audacity to cover it up? Bloody hell, this is easily one of the mose gruesome things I've read in recent years.

Oct 15, 12 at 12:34am
KR_1250

Christ all bloody mighty.

Thats like something from a 'SAW' movie or something. I mean its bad enough the medical staff internally decapitated a baby. But on realising their mistake they "shoved" it back in and tried to do a C-section before the aenesthetic had set in on the mother.

Talk about a total f**k up of the highest degree.

And the childs neck break must have been a compound fracture because blood came from the childs neck. This was apparently witnessed by the mother.

How the hell can anyone arse something up so bad?

Oct 14, 12 at 9:20pm
Misty

Er, why on earth were they pulling at the baby from the birth canal...? I don't know much about premature births, but a regular birth you're basically playing catcher, certainly not pulling on anything. My understanding that c-section is usually done if they get stuck, maneuvering procedures are usually pretty gentle though I guess a premature baby would be more fragile.

Either way it's pretty grossly malpractice, especially given that they put the poor woman through a completely unnecessary c-section after they *bleep*ed it up. They started it before anesthesia started working, apparently. Personally I avoid the birth-related areas of work like the plague so I know very little about delivery, but there's serious malpractice in the surgery (and possibly the initial refusal to do surgery, certainly the refusal to let them go to another hospital).