Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Anime » PSYCHO-PASS » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Enjoy yourself, and please read the rules for this forum~!
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 12, 12 at 6:13pmluffyluffy

Studio: Production I.G.
Episodes: 22
quote MAL
The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kougami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

Okay so, it's written by Urobochi, the word MOE has been condemned by it's staff, and the animation is delightfully juicy. With it's overly gratuitous violent, hypersexuality, and constantly-rainy-neon-lit-future-city, this appears to be channeling the cyberpunk genre of the 80's.

So basically, strap yourselves in, because this is either going to live up to it's pedigree as a noitaminA show or crash and burn spectacularly.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 09, 14 at 7:05pm
Duncan Idaho

So I recently saw a new version of Psycho pass called the extended version, it's just PP with every 2nd ep added to the previous one (IE EP 1 of PPE is EP 1+2 of verbatrim PP)

Sep 25, 14 at 5:47pm
Duncan Idaho

So there will be a S2? wow. I mean why even a S2? it was pretty complete by all means. Unless you want for sybil to go down.

Sep 25, 14 at 12:51pm
Mastix

luffyluffy, the Butch's complete repertoire in anime:

Blassreiter
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Psycho-Pass
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Aldnoah.Zero

He's really not that prolific. Blassreiter was awful. Didn't finish Aldnoah. But he wrote three awesome things and Gargantia was decent albeit flawed. Phantom was actually pretty good too. All writers have a style. If it's Miyazaki original, it's gonna be about strong women and nature. If it's Urobuchi, it's about... wait what's even similar about the three things Urobuchi did well other than having a dark atmosphere? Yes, all three had a Soylent Green is People twist, but other than that, they had pretty distinct themes and characters. If your idea of predictable is "it gets dark," then predictable to you just means "this person has a style, eww". Just like Ikuhara is always gonna make wacky psychological shit with magical girls, or Imaishi anime are always gonna be over-the-top, Urobuchi's writing is probably always gonna be pretty dark. I don't see anything wrong with the Butcher making grungy stories as long as he walks some new territory I'm good. I'd like to see more things written by him each year. His current pace is actually pretty slow.

That said, I worry Psycho-Pass will suffer without his guidance behind the ideas. He really did a good job in crafting his mains for S1, and I worry they'll become parodies of themselves in S2.

Sep 25, 14 at 11:19am
luffyluffy

quote Mastix
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you thought so ill of Psycho-Pass. I don't personally find that PMMM, Psycho-Pass or even Fate/Zero (funny that because we knew what would happen at the end) were predictable garbage. If the plot makes any sort of sense though, some elements ought to be predictable, or the author is just doing random willy-nilly shit. I think he has fascinating ideas, and I give him enormous credit for creating a sci-fi world like this one, that anime and even other media have failed to do.

But sure, you can snark about him and say good riddance.
Woah woah woah bud, who said i thought badly of Psycho-Pass? I just think the Butch can get a little overdone sometimes. It's like his name gets attached to a project and instantly you can just know everything is going to have this veneer of "well this is a nice world" followed by "OH SHIT EVERYTHING *bleep*ING SUCKS".

I give Butch credit for creating this fascinating world and these beautiful comments, but lately I feel like he's being overutilized in a way. He's EVERYWHERE, which is good for him and his career, but I'm quickly getting burnt out on him and his ideas. Granted, a lot of the stuff he's worked on (Gargantia, Aldnoah.Zero, etc) ended up only being supervised by him, or only having one or two specific episode scripts written by him (thus rendering them a collaboration with the Butch, and not a Butch original or whatev) so the many flaws in those two specific works can't really be tied back to Butch entirely.

I can't really talk about Fate/Zero due to not really being a Fate/ franchise fan in the first place. First time I watched it I thought it was frightfully dull, but the second time I watched it, I thought it was really exciting and fun. So who knows.

On the topic of Psycho-Pass and it's lack of the Butch, it's possible it might suffer. Hell it probably will, because no one in Japan these days knows how to *bleep*ing write. But it's possible it might flourish! tl;dr, I'm tired of The Butch.

Sep 25, 14 at 10:12am
Wakaman

After watching season 1 I came to the conclusion that Sybil is bullshit. Seems they added the human brain network in just for a new twist when it wasn't even needed.

It seems more to read people's emotions/adrenaline levels rather than their intent/mind. I mean if you consider how Akane and Makishima are always cool and collect it made sense.

I hope next season adds a bit more onfo to what exactly happens. I enjoyed it but the brain part pissed me off.

Sep 25, 14 at 8:34am
Mastix

quote luffyluffy
I like my cartoons not being horribly predictable, thank you very much
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you thought so ill of Psycho-Pass. I don't personally find that PMMM, Psycho-Pass or even Fate/Zero (funny that because we knew what would happen at the end) were predictable garbage. If the plot makes any sort of sense though, some elements ought to be predictable, or the author is just doing random willy-nilly shit. I think he has fascinating ideas, and I give him enormous credit for creating a sci-fi world like this one, that anime and even other media have failed to do.

But sure, you can snark about him and say good riddance.

Sep 23, 14 at 1:58pm
luffyluffy

I like my cartoons not being horribly predictable, thank you very much

Sep 23, 14 at 1:22pm
Mastix

So guys, how do you feel about S2 not being written by the Butcher?

Sep 22, 14 at 4:18am
Rabla

luffyluffy

Sep 11, 14 at 12:18pm
luffyluffy

Allright so I was thinking about this show suddenly, and I realized I had no idea how Sybil worked. Just as a warning, there are heavy spoilers, don't open this until you've finished the show.

What do you guys think?