Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Microsoft spending over $1.5 billion on Windows 8 launch » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 12, 12 at 3:50pmRabidChinaGirl

Microsoft spending over $1.5 billion on Windows 8 launch

Lydia Sung - Friday, October 12, 2012 3:50pm (PST) Like Share
Biggest product launch in industry's history
 Image 1
Source: Forbes

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 15, 12 at 1:01am
Rendan

oh look a new windows edition.....let's just boot it up aaaaand...NOPE!
Sorry but I'll stick to 7 thank you very much. My money is on 8 being another Vista.

Oct 14, 12 at 5:09am
Grimdark

I like it when they quietly fix the typos later.

Oct 14, 12 at 3:11am
lKasHl

quote harbin91
'Spending' should actually read 'wasting'. I honestly don't think Windows 8 will be a runaway success that 7 was.
I agree with you about Windows 7 being far more successful than Windows 8 will be but only on a desktop and possibly laptop environment. For Microsoft this is more a war on Android and iOS with Windows finally offering what Microsoft consider to be suitable competition on tablet and touch devices, mobile phones and budget hardware.

So far their mobile penetration with Phone 7 is more or less 2% so expenditure on marketing of this magnitude is somewhat justified (still risky) to try to raise awareness of their refurbished product lines amongst consumers and enterprises.

Oct 13, 12 at 7:22pm
Pedigree

quote Grimdark
What is the mombile market?
The mobile market targetted for moms!

Oct 13, 12 at 12:26pm
Grimdark

What is the mombile market?

Oct 13, 12 at 9:37am
legendary one

Windows 8 = Fail

Oct 13, 12 at 9:07am
hiigaran

quote BlackLabel
I'll get Windows running Metro when Windows 7 support is gone so that'll be 8-10 years from now. I am happy with Windows 7 and personally I'd only be happy with Metro on a phone, tablet or my Xbox, in other words places where Metro makes sense.
by then, another two OSes would have been released.

still not going to make the switch myself. windows 7 is a damn good OS. even then, i only switched because XP was starting to die out with support from games.

Oct 13, 12 at 6:55am
BlackLabel

I'll get Windows running Metro when Windows 7 support is gone so that'll be 8-10 years from now. I am happy with Windows 7 and personally I'd only be happy with Metro on a phone, tablet or my Xbox, in other words places where Metro makes sense.

Oct 13, 12 at 6:20am
Pedigree

I'm on the fence about Windows 8. It looks nice and it really does run fast. (Well, that's based on my own experience when I downloaded the Consumer's Preview version). But I agree, the Metro does get a bit annoying. I do hope that the annoying bits (the delayed feeds from my facebook account) is just because it isn't the final version.

Oct 13, 12 at 5:11am
harbin

Even then, that optimisation will be unlikely to pull me towards the new OS. There is a program that will put the start menu feature back but that ain't enough. With it not being part of the Windows shell, on startup it just becomes a bit more of a hinderance in that. Optional Metro would've been the best way to go for it.

Would've like it to have more install options at the start such as default places to store user profiles, etc... I know some stuff has to be on the C:\ drive, but I'm limited in space on my SSD.