Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Computer Upgrade ASAP » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 12, 12 at 7:22amSapphiryeon

Hello, everyone!

So I wanted some outside opinion on my current situation. My current laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L505 has broken down. I can have it fixed, but I think it's time for a new laptop!

I am stuck between sticking with Toshiba or trying a new brand. I would really prefer sticking with Toshiba, though.

The main features I am looking for in the new laptop are:

At most 6 GB RAM and HDD

At least 1366x768 HD graphics

At least one 3.0 USB port

At least one 2.0 USB port

HDMI output

Headphone jack, microphone jack, and webcam, naturally.

Possibly a quad core or high performance processors, something that can handle light gaming, but heavy multi-tasking.

And finally, I am trying to fit all of these features under a budget of at most $500, But I am willing to go a little over if it's worth it.

Side Note:
I am trying to make a purchase as soon as possible due to being in the middle of a college semester, so quick replies are much appreciated!

Thank you in advance and feel free to post any suggestions, tips, and advice! ^-^

Also, here are a few laptops I have been looking into already:

1. Toshiba L755D-S5163

2. Toshiba L755D-S7132

3. Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5253

4. Samsung 5-550

5. HP 6-1010

6. Acer Aspire

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 14, 13 at 5:12am
hiigaran

i completely forgot about this thread!

Jan 13, 13 at 5:59am
Sapphiryeon

Ah! I'm sorry, Hiigaran! I meant to come back and let you know what I went with myself. I chose this laptop in a hurry (my professors were getting impatient DX) and the moment I got it, I was happy, but frustrated that I didn't get everything I wanted. But, it is okay! I can now get a better laptop with everything I want soon! ....After I get the PS Vita, of course

Anyways, thank you so much for helping me! When I look for my new laptop, I hope to call on your expertise again!

Oct 15, 12 at 5:17am
Shadow of Death

Hiigaran oh yeah, she ended up getting This.

The 7520g is apparently a bit better than the HD 4000.

Hopefully she will be able to get a better computer later, and just uses this in the interim.

Oct 13, 12 at 1:39pm
hiigaran

this is 50 bucks over your budget, but it comes with a better CPU and GPU than the ones youve listed.

by the way, the fist toshiba you linked has incorrect specs, which is why the price is different.

Oct 13, 12 at 1:08pm
Sapphiryeon

What do you guys think about these?

1. Toshiba Satellite C875D

2. Toshiba Satellite C875D
Basically the same one but for a different price, I think.

3. Toshiba Satellite C855

4. Toshiba L875D

Oct 13, 12 at 4:47am
hiigaran

yeah oblivion would be pretty heavy on the GPU side.

Oct 13, 12 at 4:22am
Sapphiryeon

I guess I could sacrifice GPU for CPU power. I don't video edit much anyways. I think that is because my old laptop couldn't handle it very well.
Sims and MC are the games I tend to play the most. I'm more of a console gamer than PC gamer, hence the light PC gaming. But I do have a game I would like to play, Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion! I think the other games that I have will be handled just fine if the laptop can handle Oblivion.

What do you think?

Oct 13, 12 at 4:06am
hiigaran

alright, so you have both CPU and GPU intensive needs. which would you prefer to prioritise? do you want a faster GPU for gaming, while sacrificing CPU power, or the other way around?

as a side note, video editing is CPU intensive, most games are GPU intensive, but minecraft is CPU intensive. any other games aside from MC and sims?

Oct 13, 12 at 4:02am
Sapphiryeon

Yeah, basically what S.O.D. said. I want to use it for music, video editing, movies, games, like hosting servers for Minecraft through Tekkit packs, etc. I want to be able to do anything I want without worrying about the memory I'm using or over working the computer. But at the same time, handling school work, which is easy. But on breaks, it's time to turn up the heat!

So for now, I just want something that can handle Sims 3 and the other things I've listed up there without much of a problem until I save up for something better.

Edit: Late response. Okay, Hiigaran! Thank you! ^-^

Oct 13, 12 at 4:01am
hiigaran

of course.

well, ill see if ive got 15 to 20 minutes to search for something later today...