Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Torchlight II » Introductory builds » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 11, 12 at 6:19ampsiberzerker

First Post, so I thought I'd start with 4 Archetypic builds to show how I role. Right off the bat, I'll point out that I positively delight in non-standard variants in any game that gives me this much customization ability. This means such wackiness as a close quarters squishy mage, Berserker/ranger, stand-off Engineer, and melee Outlander.

Mjoldin (Embermage)

My Storm God, he rides them across my fantasy world.

Anywhom, 3 principal spells. The primary (Left click, replacing the Staff attack) is Shocking Burst. Why? Glass Cannons suck at CQC, so this is the short range spell that knocks back, stuns, and fries everything with a quickness. Combos with Frost Phaze to teleport in from out of range/detection, and kill them before they recover, Raiden style. I know, it's not a Lightning spell, but it's a 'port that lands with a thunderclap, and the best mobilizer in the game (or tied with Savage Rush) and goes with the general theme. The switch-out [Tab] is Prismatic Bolt. That's pretty much it for Active skills, you start with 1 in Magma Spear, which is handy to pick off weenies from a distance, and I also have Blazing Pillar mapped to the backup staff to clear Ratlings while I glass the nest.

Passives: Lighting Brand, and Staff Mastery, in order of priority. (Spend points after the offensive spells are maxed at current level, pardon the pun.) Any leftovers can go in Elemental Attunement.

Stats: Nothing but Mana. I can 'port-hop clear across even the largest map without running dry, but that doesn't leave much for offense if ambushed.

Gear: Randomly generated, but here's what to look for: Absorb Mana, with Shocking Burst replacing the defalt attack, if you're swinging it, you're tapped out. Mostly on bosses, take a swing, and zot him again while the potion catches up. Pulsing the Burst is still a pretty nasty smack at close range, but it really chews on steady state. After that, you want more Lightning damage everywhere. It took me forever to find a staff that came with that, and a slot for a mana drain Ember spark. Also Health enchantments on all clothes, and accessories so you don't have to waste stat points on Vitality. Armor is a non-issue, and you've got a passive skill for elemental damage. Played right, you don't get hit much except for bosses, and even then, you tend to out-damage them.

Tried on Veteran, as soon as I finish it out, I'll move onto the suicidal difficulty, and keep you posted. I like the specialized simplicity, it's really just 3 spells which combo together extremely well. At long range, the magic missiles work out well for weenie wacking, or pummeling bosses, but anything that gets close generally doesn't survive long enough to regret it. The THWOMP of the 'port pre-stuns, so they don't recover well, and you can wack'em-all around with just that if over-run with critters. The original character was a fire-mage before becoming the Storm-Rider, so can always fall back to that. It's nice if the back-up staff adds more Fire damage.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 06, 13 at 9:53am
tekmosis

I think Torchlight 2 is more about having fun, not min/maxing stats. If that's your thing, cool. But don't go insulting other people because they aren't into min/max builds.

Feb 16, 13 at 12:15pm
BANEHALLOW

the atributtes need be distributed by this mean a lot of strength(x),75% of STR as foucus,50% of the STR as DEX.vitality is not crucial.READ AND LEARN,YOU NOOBS.

Feb 16, 13 at 12:09pm
BANEHALLOW

beserker.your abilities are a very potent combination.first get all the levels of shadow burst for fast moving/heal/escape.raze and wolfshade for killing champions and bosses.wolfpack to clear huge groups of enemys.passives:executioner at max and frenzy mastery too.at least 10 levels of rempage.red wolf is good after lvl 50 because of your consecutive criticals.take dual wielding weapons for maximun use of the skills.the spell scrolls tha you can get:devish,and dual wielding.

Feb 16, 13 at 11:37am
BANEHALLOW

you all suks.my characters humiliate this noobs like cannonner or scout.a ranged berserker?hahaha,this is pathetic.torchilight is my world.here comes my bserker called Karsh.

Oct 11, 12 at 8:30am
psiberzerker

Scout(Berserker)

Mind you, that's just the starter class, this is actually right out of Dice&Dossiers' Ranger Handbook. Solo Nomad with unmatched mobility, mostly ranged offense, and don't need nobody. The lack of damage multipliers is made up by being able to play keepaway indefinitely. Also can explore the Salt Plains faster than any of my builds, rush through bottlenecks so you don't get trapped. In other words, this is a Berserker who thinks she's an Outlander. The scary thing is, it works. Only if played right, though, she's at home outside, shooting into the melee'. Inside, she dies, quick.

Actives: Shadow Burst at the first level. This is your healing shield shatterer, and GTFooD card when they start to pile up on you. Available immediately, which is what makes this build. The first mobilizer available to Any class, it's so multifunctional, you want it cued up on both weapons. Gargoyles HATE this one. Wolf Shade is a standoff summon with Healing! Between these two, you don't have to worry as much about Health Potions, Mana is actually better. Savage Rush lets you run clear across the map, and also romp on weenies. Storm Hatchet is your "Glaive". (Actually a Polearm anywhere but here, or Krull.)

Passives: Frenzy Mastery, and Rage Retaliation. Or, none, I saved points for actives that were about to level up soon.

Equipment: I went Crossbow, for maximum range, and the fastest RoF I could find. Drain Mana, once you get the hang of the evasive fighting style, you just cease to be hit, ever. Ranged, AoE, this is not suggested for your first playthrough, but save it for when you can read all enemys' animations, and dodge most of the attacks. Focus less on having a lot of health, and more on healing throughout combat. One of the first two actives should be on hand at all times, and heal on strike is advisable for weapons. In the offhand, a shotty/cannon is alright, focus on Knockback, but I lucked out with a pistol/wand combo! Wear as much Mana as you can carry, and absorb that too, if available. On clothes/trinkets, you want more Ranged damage over anything else, since there are no skills for this. May have to stack embers on weapons that enhance that element (Which is why the pistol/wand combo worked out.) if that turns up.

This is a very advanced play style. Potentially the funnest of the 4 so far on this page if you know how to play her. Suicidal if you don't. Might want to go Pistol/blade opposite the crossbow, and swap out some melee' damage if you can't reliably dodge. I put it all in Strength.

Oct 11, 12 at 7:44am
psiberzerker

Melee' (Outlander)

All right, now first let me clear something up. I use the term "Melee'" in the original French meaning, namely, it's a Noun, not a Verb, or Adgetive. More specifically, it's a Place/time, the crush of battle, when two armies come together. So, whenever I make a "Melee' Character" I mean they're at home there, not specialized to hitting things with things.

This is a Close Quarters Shooter, which means rather than hanging back, she's just fine completely surrounded, and spreading it in all directions. Go ahead, pile on like the goblins of Moria, just more targets. Like the modern Breacher, you want to kick down the door with something like a Sub-machinegun, shotgun, auto-shotgun, or the period equivalent(/spelling.)

Actives: Rapid Fire, followed by Rune Vault, then Glaive Sweep. Cursed Daggers is wicked, but those first 3 are your bread, and butter. Burning Leap whenever you get to it, which is kind of a 2fer, but the first three will be your standards for most of the game.

Passives: Long Range, and Shotgun Mastery, Shadowling Ammo. As always, focus on Actives/Offense, and kick down any leftovers to these, all in order of priority. (Defense doesn't win fights. It keeps you from losing as quickly, but with no offense, You Can't Win.)

Weapons: Where it's all at, I go Pistol/Blade, and Shotty. Rapid Fire with both, but WHEN they get close, you have to have some sort of slash (Preferably with Drain Health, and Very Fast Attack, Claws are great!) Here's the deal, I primary Rapid Fire on the shotty, because I usually need the spread when I'm out of Mana. Try it, may, or may not work for you, it's also useful with an offhand pistol, and primary blade. Secondary is Glaive Sweep on Shotty, and Rune Vault with the combo. This way, you have maximum mobility for teh slash&burn, and a full circle sweeper on your slowest directional attack. When you get the dagger throw, it works best with the combo.

This is why I didn't do "Akimbo" (That word, I done thing it means wha' you thing it means.) Instead of Moar damnage, which is always good, I like to be able to slash who's close, and shoot who ain't while backflipping all over. That mobility is really your primary defense, as there's no passives for this class, but if you time it right, and know where to aim, they swing through open air, and you backstab before they recover from the animation. Takes some getting used to, but it's brutaly lethal with practice. Teh shotty is for Crowd Control, and bottlenecks where you don't have room to flip around. Also for Bosses, it maximizes your Rapid Fire damage, in between weeny whacking while your charge recovers. I also swap in Rune Vault in lieu of the sweeper just for these fights. Generally gets destroyed by the Big Bad, or even the Dragon toe2toe, so keep your distance, and the damage coming. The exception being the cannon centaur and it's friends who you don't want to take at range where the big one can charge you.

Oct 11, 12 at 7:11am
psiberzerker

Cannoneer (Engineer)

Pretty much a slower version of Outlander, but capable of soaking a lot more damage, you get a Cannon instead of a Shotgonne, and have a switch weapon for bashing, if it comes to that. Most of the points go into Damage, and Defense, nothing fancy, get the job done, expediently. Basically trying to think like an Engineer, not really all that into combat, so avoid it, or finish it quick when you can't, then get back to work.

Actives: Spiderbots. Mwu, Ha, Ha. Remember what I said about avoiding combat? These things are Nasty! AoE DoT, shoot anything that makes it through, but spam an army of these critters proportionate to the opposition. Blast Cannon for sniping, especially from high ground. Fusilade is useful for indirect fire over cover, but I didn't invest in it much, because I only use it when I'm in no danger, because they can't get to me. Other than that, depend on your Cannon's Knockback to avoid even needing to pull your wrench. (Or can-opener, I prefer Halberds, and the like.) Don't be afraid to use a Staff, if it happens to be dripping 2, or more flavors of Elemental damage, but this's the backup. Whatever you find to swing, I paired it with Onslaught, and switch to Gunbot for boss fights, mostly.

Passives: Bulwark, so I don't have to spend stat points on Vitality. Aegis of Fate, the idea is Active Offense, Passive Defense, so you don't have to cast shield spells.

Gear: Best Cannon, and 2hander you can find. Stress Damage, Slottability, and Knockback for the former, Drain Health is always nice to save on potions. The latter, I like swinging speed more than anything, because if they do get that close, I don't want to wait to hit them. (With the build as described above, you will have occasional skill points left over, so tack on Heavy Lifting as the Last resort. With a Very Fast spear, or staff, and quick ember, it'll beat Claws to the punch, yet still hit like the Hand of God!) REACH!i!

What I didn't do: Healbots, I never run out of Potions, and mostly solo. If it's more your style, no need not to. Flame/Ember hammer, and other melee specific skills. He can defend himself, but this is Artillery, not a wade in swinging slugger. The only PC centered AoE is the jumping ground pounder, because it also comes with mobility.

Fighting Style: Read my signature. Send in the mines, swap to your polearm if you need to drop the Dalek, or a quick reposition from the jump/slam. I use it more for repositioning than offense, but it's nice to have a soft landing, and it interrupts Gargoyle stoops, if you time it right. OTOH, peg away with Blast Cannon until depleted, and use knockback to keep them out of reach.

Use Cover. The beauty of ths whole class is you can send in the mines, and lob over walls without ever exposing yourself. As long as I have Mana, everyone else has to fight. I sit back, smoke a cigar, and pass out the damage from back here. If all goes according to plan, it doesn't always, but you've got enough armor, and fast striking should it come to that. As soon as you have enough juice, leapfrog away, pull the cannon, and bottleneck them if you can. Keep them at bay while you recharge, and send in the mines. Excells as support fire, but also capable of taking down any army single handedly with proper battle tactics. Hence the description "Standoff Engineer." Just because he's a melee class doesn't mean you have to play that way.

Oct 11, 12 at 6:19am
psiberzerker

First Post, so I thought I'd start with 4 Archetypic builds to show how I role. Right off the bat, I'll point out that I positively delight in non-standard variants in any game that gives me this much customization ability. This means such wackiness as a close quarters squishy mage, Berserker/ranger, stand-off Engineer, and melee Outlander.

Mjoldin (Embermage)

My Storm God, he rides them across my fantasy world.

Anywhom, 3 principal spells. The primary (Left click, replacing the Staff attack) is Shocking Burst. Why? Glass Cannons suck at CQC, so this is the short range spell that knocks back, stuns, and fries everything with a quickness. Combos with Frost Phaze to teleport in from out of range/detection, and kill them before they recover, Raiden style. I know, it's not a Lightning spell, but it's a 'port that lands with a thunderclap, and the best mobilizer in the game (or tied with Savage Rush) and goes with the general theme. The switch-out [Tab] is Prismatic Bolt. That's pretty much it for Active skills, you start with 1 in Magma Spear, which is handy to pick off weenies from a distance, and I also have Blazing Pillar mapped to the backup staff to clear Ratlings while I glass the nest.

Passives: Lighting Brand, and Staff Mastery, in order of priority. (Spend points after the offensive spells are maxed at current level, pardon the pun.) Any leftovers can go in Elemental Attunement.

Stats: Nothing but Mana. I can 'port-hop clear across even the largest map without running dry, but that doesn't leave much for offense if ambushed.

Gear: Randomly generated, but here's what to look for: Absorb Mana, with Shocking Burst replacing the defalt attack, if you're swinging it, you're tapped out. Mostly on bosses, take a swing, and zot him again while the potion catches up. Pulsing the Burst is still a pretty nasty smack at close range, but it really chews on steady state. After that, you want more Lightning damage everywhere. It took me forever to find a staff that came with that, and a slot for a mana drain Ember spark. Also Health enchantments on all clothes, and accessories so you don't have to waste stat points on Vitality. Armor is a non-issue, and you've got a passive skill for elemental damage. Played right, you don't get hit much except for bosses, and even then, you tend to out-damage them.

Tried on Veteran, as soon as I finish it out, I'll move onto the suicidal difficulty, and keep you posted. I like the specialized simplicity, it's really just 3 spells which combo together extremely well. At long range, the magic missiles work out well for weenie wacking, or pummeling bosses, but anything that gets close generally doesn't survive long enough to regret it. The THWOMP of the 'port pre-stuns, so they don't recover well, and you can wack'em-all around with just that if over-run with critters. The original character was a fire-mage before becoming the Storm-Rider, so can always fall back to that. It's nice if the back-up staff adds more Fire damage.