Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » GPU running too hot ? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 08, 12 at 2:20amakimikage

I have an Inno3d GTX 550 Ti and I play Sleeping Dogs which uses the GPU to 99% and when using a stock cooler it peaks at 90c and even using an aftermarket cooler with 2 big fans and 5 heatpipes on 60% fan speed it peaks at 83c ( I think it's the max coz it won't go any faster I try to type 100 but it goes back to 77 ). Isn't this too hot for this card ?

This is how my VGA cooler looks like
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/8/t1748402-identify-my-vga-cooler/

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 09, 12 at 4:03am
akimikage

The heatsink is very clean just cleaned it before putting into the card. My case isn't a gaming case but isn't 15c difference a little bit too high though I haven't researched about cooling yet so I may be wrong.
Can anyone give me a suggestion on proper cooling ? especially on this card. And, how should I place the fan of the VGA cooler ? sucking or blowing the air ? I placed it so it will blow the air.

Okay I saw this http://icrontic.com/article/pc_airflow_heat_cooling_guide and I'm going to experiment.

Oct 08, 12 at 9:37am
The Slayer

Is there any cards directly under your video card that could impede airflow? Could you add a case fan somewhere around the video card to help draw away heat or blow cool air on it?

Try what Iceguy suggested and reapply some quality thermal paste (such as arctic silver).

Oct 08, 12 at 5:01am
Iceguy2003

The 550 ti runs a little hot on average compared to some cards. Still, you probably need to blow the dust out of the heatsink on your GPU and also reapply some new, high quality thermal paste.

Oct 08, 12 at 4:21am
hiigaran

ill admit, 90 degrees is high, but its still safe. however, i would still take a look around in your case, to see what might be causing the higher temperatures. does your case have dust in it? anything obstructing the airflow in the case, or near the card? does your case even have fans? is your room usually quite hot?

Oct 08, 12 at 3:47am
harbin

I updated my post. On your stock cooler I would normally be concerned since there is only 5ºc gap, but with your aftermarket cooler on, you should be fine in terms of if it will overheat or not.

In terms of the temperature in general, it's hard to tell without taking into account case, fans and their setups, etc, so there could be multiple reasons.

The air in those video cards is sucked in through the fan and channelled out through the back of the case (hence the two mounting slots it takes up on the back), otherwise the single slot fans just chuck the hot air back into the case. Not actually used an aftermarket cooler in that respect though so I'm not quite sure how they're set up.

Oct 08, 12 at 3:04am
akimikage

But is this normal ? Coz I've seen reviews and temps never went this high. I know they used a different benchmark method but still.
Oh and the idle temp of the GPU using my aftermarket cooler is 46c, hot ? It's night now here in my country so ambient temp should be low.

Like this review of Neoseeker http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Roundups/nvidia_gtx_550_ti_palit_msi/18.html

Oct 08, 12 at 2:54am
harbin

TBH no. Graphics cards are able to withstand higher temperatures than processors. The thermal max (or tjmax; the specified max safe operating temperature) is 95c (that number will vary from model to model)... Usually you'll get warning signs when your card starts getting too hot, that is a sign to close the game or increase the cooling. 90c is fine and shouldn't cause issues, but that is too close to 95c for me (not alot of headroom for my liking).

Oct 08, 12 at 2:20am
akimikage

I have an Inno3d GTX 550 Ti and I play Sleeping Dogs which uses the GPU to 99% and when using a stock cooler it peaks at 90c and even using an aftermarket cooler with 2 big fans and 5 heatpipes on 60% fan speed it peaks at 83c ( I think it's the max coz it won't go any faster I try to type 100 but it goes back to 77 ). Isn't this too hot for this card ?

This is how my VGA cooler looks like
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/8/t1748402-identify-my-vga-cooler/