Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Gaming Laptop Questions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 07, 12 at 1:45pmZuidy

I know people will have their opinions on how a laptop will never be as good as a desktop gaming rig. And I agree, honestly. But portability right now is important to me.

So after doing some research, I found these gaming laptops under the name Valkyrie from the website www.ibuypower.com

I wanted to know a few things before I go into this:

(I will put in BOLD what I plan on upgrading through the website, or other notes)

1: They have immense options as to customization for a Valkyrie Laptop. The type I plan on purchasing will be the Valkyrie CZ-17. If I was to simply purchase with the default specs, I would be getting this:

Case
Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power

Adapter - Original Metallic black

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.4GHz/6MB L3 Cache) Probably one of the biggest downsides for me, wish I could have more speed. Max is a 2.8 GHz quad core i7 processor........ Tips on how to boost speed possibly? Overclocking isn't likely on a laptop...... or is it in this case?

Memory
8GB [4GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand Changing to 16 GB most likely, will it be necessary for simply gaming and minor web surfing, etc?

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] Could upgrade to 675m w/ 4 GB or 680 w/ 4 GB. Which should I go with?

Primary Hard Drive
500 GB 5400rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive Upgrading to 750 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive

Data Hard Drive
None Upgrading to 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD Single Drive
Read: 525MB/s ; Write: 500MB/s
Good?

Optical Drive
8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17]

Flash Media Reader / Writer

Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]

Sound Card
HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro

Network Card
Killer E2200 Gaming Networking

Internal Wireless Network Adapter
802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [CZ-17] Upgrading to Intel Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 a/b/g/n 450Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi. Good?

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

USB Ports
Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop]

Video Camera
Built-in 3.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

__

Honestly, I am a total newbie to the world of gaming laptops. I really don't want to be criticized for not knowing much...... I feel stupid asking, but Neoseeker is one of my most valuable resources as far as this goes right now. So please, friendly tips and do overstress things that need to be.

tl;dr Well that's a shame, but basically rate the laptop at your hands. Post your own specs as a comparison, as well, if you have time. Thanks so much!
__

Thanks Neoseeker! See you!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 14, 12 at 3:50pm
Blue Neon

quote Zuidy
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.4GHz/6MB L3 Cache) Probably one of the biggest downsides for me, wish I could have more speed. Max is a 2.8 GHz quad core i7 processor........ Tips on how to boost speed possibly? Overclocking isn't likely on a laptop...... or is it in this case?
Nah, to my knowledge no laptop can be overclocked and trust me CPU speed is barely noticeable especially with an i7 - very few games are CPU intensive enough to make a big difference especially goinf for 2.4GHz to 2.8GHz i7 that'd make very little difference.

quote Zuidy
Memory
8GB [4GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand Changing to 16 GB most likely, will it be necessary for simply gaming and minor web surfing, etc?
Gaming would barely require more than 4GB tbh - but 8GB is becoming a trend due to how intensive some games and backgound apps are starting to get. I would just stick with the 8, even in the next couple of years 16GB will most likely still be overkill, even if it becomes an issue you can upgrade at a later date quite easily.

quote Zuidy
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] Could upgrade to 675m w/ 4 GB or 680 w/ 4 GB. Which should I go with?
Go with the 680M if you want the best performance overall if you want to save money just keep the default - the 680 will drain battery A LOT quicker especially playing games - they default has Nvidia Optimus which is a neat battery saving tech iirc.

quote Zuidy
Internal Wireless Network Adapter
802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [CZ-17] Upgrading to Intel Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 a/b/g/n 450Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi. Good?
You will notice very little difference changing your wifi since they all do the same job - the only time they would do any different is if you had a Gigabit connection in your house, for that case you would need a card that supported up to 1Gbps. But nah I would go with stock on that.

As for the SSD - Yes what hiigaran says is true but if the stuff you put on the SSD is to stay then it won't really matter.
Install your OS to that, a couple of programs you use a lot (eg in my case Photoshop) as well as games you play VERY often.
For the standard HDD put EVERYTHING else on that.

Or just skip an SSD and get a second HDD to keep the OS separate from all your clutter which will help boot times and make defrags MUCH more efficient.

Oct 14, 12 at 2:51pm
Zuidy

Bump.

Still need help here.

Oct 10, 12 at 5:06pm
Luis_GT

Can't tell you since my SSD is too small for games, but considering the improvement it has with loading windows, and basing on my knowledge of Raid setups, you should see an improvement in load times compared to a single HDD... note that having a fast SSD will not improve your gaming performance, just your load times... Graphic performance is based on the GPU and CPU's ability.

Oct 10, 12 at 4:49pm
Zuidy

quote Luis_GT
SSD's are great, I have an mSATA SSD on my laptop that's over a year old... I just upgraded the Firmware and it's faster than when it was new!

I suggest you get the SSD if you can have both an HDD and the SSD. I have a 750GB HDD for all my games and data, and the SSD for the OS and small important stuff (it's only 64GB) but the OS load times are staggering.

Here's a benchmark showing the speed with the new FW (did this 30 min ago)

Here's with the original firmware (over a year ago)

Here's what a normal laptop hdd will do

The 4K random read/writes are what make the OS load fast.
Thanks for your post! I was curious about 1 thing though. If I can fit my games on the SSD, should I go for it? I am going to put the OS on the SSD for sure. But I heard that if you can fit games on it they will run better as well?

Thanks again!

Also, this can serve as a bump. I updated the OP.

Oct 09, 12 at 9:37pm
Luis_GT

SSD's are great, I have an mSATA SSD on my laptop that's over a year old... I just upgraded the Firmware and it's faster than when it was new!

I suggest you get the SSD if you can have both an HDD and the SSD. I have a 750GB HDD for all my games and data, and the SSD for the OS and small important stuff (it's only 64GB) but the OS load times are staggering.

Here's a benchmark showing the speed with the new FW (did this 30 min ago)

Here's with the original firmware (over a year ago)

Here's what a normal laptop hdd will do

The 4K random read/writes are what make the OS load fast.

Oct 08, 12 at 4:08pm
hiigaran

RAM disk FTW

of course, you'd better have a UPS handy

Oct 08, 12 at 4:00pm
biomed

I think hiigaran's point of view is perfectly valid and if lots of people like SSDs for a gaming computer then it has to be for the OS only and may be for one or two games only if it's 120GB or over. I still haven't plucked up the courage to buy an SDD, maybe it's me, but I think there'll be problems down the road for the early buyers but time will tell.

Oct 08, 12 at 3:56pm
hiigaran

yeah its your choice. many people dont even bother keeping their stuff beyond 3 or 4 years anyway, so it might not even make a difference. i like recycling to save money, so thats just my perspective on the matter.

Oct 08, 12 at 3:39pm
Zuidy

quote hiigaran
heres the major problem with SSDs. because of the way they work, they only have a limited number of rewrites, before they cannot be used again. every time you put data on to a certain section, that area becomes worn away. its very tiny, but its there, on the microscopic level. when you erase the data and put new data in its place, that place becomes work away a little more. eventually, after roughly 10000 rewrites, that section becomes unusable. i dont remember if it leaves the last bit of data intact, or if that area becomes completely unusable, but neither is good. now you might think that 10k is a lot, but a lot of rewriting happens without you even seeing it. this is why people move their page files off the SSD, and anything else that acts as temporary storage, like a cache. these cause a lot of rewrites, and lead to an early SSD death. in addition, it seems like the performance of SSDs as time progresses, decreases. depending on how you use your SSD, after 1 to 3 years, there will be a noticeable decline in SSD performance.

it is because of this that i would never want a SSD. i used to suggest it to people before, but now i only do it at their request, after i have informed them of the downsides to SSDs. now, until SSDs fix this issue, im not going to change my views on them.

btw, take the performance thing as you will. i dont have a source on it that you can read, other than the ramblings of several SSD owners over IRC. however, the rewrite issue is a well known issue.
Yeah I heard about that as well. But for a gaming computer a lot of people like SSDs..... I will judge for myself. Thanks a lot!

Oct 08, 12 at 3:27pm
hiigaran

heres the major problem with SSDs. because of the way they work, they only have a limited number of rewrites, before they cannot be used again. every time you put data on to a certain section, that area becomes worn away. its very tiny, but its there, on the microscopic level. when you erase the data and put new data in its place, that place becomes work away a little more. eventually, after roughly 10000 rewrites, that section becomes unusable. i dont remember if it leaves the last bit of data intact, or if that area becomes completely unusable, but neither is good. now you might think that 10k is a lot, but a lot of rewriting happens without you even seeing it. this is why people move their page files off the SSD, and anything else that acts as temporary storage, like a cache. these cause a lot of rewrites, and lead to an early SSD death. in addition, it seems like the performance of SSDs as time progresses, decreases. depending on how you use your SSD, after 1 to 3 years, there will be a noticeable decline in SSD performance.

it is because of this that i would never want a SSD. i used to suggest it to people before, but now i only do it at their request, after i have informed them of the downsides to SSDs. now, until SSDs fix this issue, im not going to change my views on them.

btw, take the performance thing as you will. i dont have a source on it that you can read, other than the ramblings of several SSD owners over IRC. however, the rewrite issue is a well known issue.