Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Borderlands 2 » Handsome Jack (Contains Spoilers) » Post Reply

Note to Guests: If you are here to request a trade or duplicates please go to the Borderlands 2 Trading Subforum instead, thank you.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

hideOriginal Post

Oct 07, 12 at 12:22pmKybur

Not that handsome, actually.

So, this is Jack's real face, which is revealed after you shoot him down or let Lilith off him for you. Now, the natural reaction to seeing this is, "Dafuq?" And I wanted to ask the goers of Neoseeker what you think the reason behind Jack's vault symbolized face may be.

Personally, I think Angel did that to him. She killed her mother (on accident), so I assume she also did this to Jack during the same instance (also on accident).

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 08, 14 at 2:57am
GlaceonGuy

quote Ultimatelizardman
Re-written:

Jack is a male siren.

Jack mentions that he knows of three living sirens (Lilith, Maya and Angel, with Steele being omitted because she died during the events of the first game), and that only six sirens can exist at once. However, Jack loves to toy with his victims by keeping secrets which he reveals only at the last minute (i.e. shield core, Wilhelm); it's likely that he omitted the fact that he's a siren until he reveals himself as such when attacking the vault hunter (which is highly plausible considering that Borderlands has a history of veiling such information about main characters until it is revealed in climactic a cutscene or during gameplay, notably in the case of Commandant Steele).

Strong evidence pointing to the fact that Jack is a male siren:

1. The vault symbol on his face is identical, in color and glow, to the sirens' "tattoos".
2. His melee attack is identical to that used by Lilith and Maya.
3. He can teleport and make use of an ability which strongly resembles Lilith's phasewalk.
4. In roman mythology, the brother of sirens is a monstrous serpent (Jack displays "monstrous" and "serpentine"/manipulative traits, and is referred to as a "monster" in-game).

Interesting note: Jack's wrist "tattoo" is virtually identical in color to Commandant Steele's body "tattoos", and appears to be a more masculine (angular) version of the sirens' (rounded) "tattoos".

unclebobert87

How do you explain Jack's melee attack and teleportation?
Jack is the head of Hyperion, he uses technology for everything, like when he uses the Surveyor for making a shield. If him being able to teleport makes him a siren, then Zer0 is also a Siren.

Aug 08, 14 at 1:08am
Ultimatelizardman

Re-written:

Jack is a male siren.

Jack mentions that he knows of three living sirens (Lilith, Maya and Angel, with Steele being omitted because she died during the events of the first game), and that only six sirens can exist at once. However, Jack loves to toy with his victims by keeping secrets which he reveals only at the last minute (i.e. shield core, Wilhelm); it's likely that he omitted the fact that he's a siren until he reveals himself as such when attacking the vault hunter (which is highly plausible considering that Borderlands has a history of veiling such information about main characters until it is revealed in climactic a cutscene or during gameplay, notably in the case of Commandant Steele).

Strong evidence pointing to the fact that Jack is a male siren:

1. The vault symbol on his face is identical, in color and glow, to the sirens' "tattoos".
3. He can teleport and make use of an ability which strongly resembles Lilith's phasewalk.
4. In roman mythology, the brother of sirens is a monstrous serpent (Jack displays "monstrous" and "serpentine"/manipulative traits, and is referred to as a "monster" in-game).

Interesting note: Jack's wrist "tattoo" is virtually identical in color to Commandant Steele's body "tattoos", and appears to be a more masculine (angular) version of the sirens' (rounded) "tattoos".

unclebobert87

How do you explain Jack's melee attack and teleportation?

Aug 07, 14 at 6:53pm
unclebobert87

^ If I was to say he had "powers" he was more like Zero, going invisible with a projection of himself.

Aug 07, 14 at 9:28am
Ultimatelizardman

Jack is a male siren.

Jack mentions that he knows of three living sirens (Lilith, Maya and Angel, with Steele being omitted because she died during the events of BL1), and that only six sirens can exist at once. However, Jack loves to "keep secrets hidden in plain sight"; it's likely that he omitted the fact that he's a male siren because male sirens are not called sirens (which is highly plausible considering that BL has a history of keeping thinly veiled secrets about main characters, notably Steele). It's also perfectly possible that there can be six sirens and six male sirens in existence at the same time.

Evidence pointing to the fact that Jack is a male siren:

3. He can teleport and phasewalk.
4. In roman mythology, the brother of sirens is a monstrous serpent (Jack displays "monstrous" and "serpentine"/manipulative traits, and is even referred to as a "monster" in-game).

May 04, 13 at 7:12am
Sand fibber

Heres what i know. It almost would be impossible for angel to give him the marks on his face, and even though jack says angel killed her mother, he was lying. She was put into control core angel before her mother left. Angels mother left because she couldn't stand what jack was doing to their little girl, so she left him with no hope to see her daughter again. The mothers whereabouts are unknown, but she is not dead. Thats a sure thing. Now, angel NOR yourself could give him the marks (yourself referring to the comment about how they think he got the marks by the final fight with you.) because even before he was president, before being handsome jack (originally named john (last name unknown)), and before he had his daughter, he worked as a Hyperion programmer, and still had worn the mask. Also, to prove that angel didnt kill her mother, when jack found out that she was a siren, immediately put her into the control core angel, so that he could control the ECHOnet and slowely rise up the hyperion ladder into becoming president by killing and blackmailing. When he became president, he changed his name to handsome jack to contradict him never really being attractive in the first place. My guess is that his grandmother was the one who gave him the scars. In the side quest where you have to go check on his grandma, jack is glad she is dead. And in the history echos, it explains that jack was raised by his VERY ABUSIVE grandmother. She could have been the one who beat him and blinded him and eventually 'branded' him with a vault symbol. But i will admit that the comment about him being in the cult of the vault is very plausible too since you have to find all of the markings, and after all he is desperately wanting the vault to open for him.

Feb 18, 13 at 9:26pm
Yeseses

I think it's just a statement that Jack's a monster of a human being hiding behind a mask of false humanity, as compared to the iconic Psycho enemies who cover their lack of humanity with a mask.

Feb 18, 13 at 9:00pm
DQ junkee

looking at this picture its pretty obvious he's wearing a mask.

as far as the vault symbol goes, i believe that in the incident with her mother, her powers somehow caused it. this makes sense due to the sirens connection to the vault.

Feb 13, 13 at 12:17pm
Orbnotacus

To people saying he's not wearing a mask, you're *bleep*ing stupid, go re-play the game. I reiterate, *bleep*ing stupid! I would say it's pretty accurate that Angel did it when she killed her mother.

Jan 26, 13 at 2:01am
Splitr

Ive never seen his face like that and i killed him twice

Jan 23, 13 at 4:27pm
IanNotMemberSpoilerF

[spoiler=Truth Spoiler?][/spoiler]
Once you beat the first play through, you unlock the mask jack originally wore, there for my conclusion, is the side story in which angel, (whos powers are blue, on the opposite liliths are red). so the damage done to his face was in the incident, the destruction or fight between you and jack did the damage to him, the mark was the only image to be questioned. and that i beleive to be from his own daughter. There for the fight inflicted the main damage to his face, the mask is to cover the mark on his face, which portrays his evil symbolicly since no vault brings any good. And with that the mark in pandora would be seen as evil and he would never amount to anything. When he used Angel in borderlands one, you diid not hear much of handsom jack, and he must have worn the mask, to move through the ranks of hyperion with knowledge of the vault after researching the mark on his face. Leading to the story of borderlands two. Borderlands three, will most likely not have a main villian, and focus more on opening the vaults you find out about after you defeat jack.